Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish players in English club games this weekend.

• 10-09-2005 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Clinton scored for Crystal Palace !
    Crystal Palace [1 - 0] Hull C.
    27' [1 - 0] C. Morrison

Connolly scored for Wigan !

West Bromwich A. [1 - 1] Wigan Athletic
    16' R. Wallwork
    19' G. Horsfield
    20' T. Gaardsøe
    26' [1 - 0] J. Greening
    41' [1 - 1] D. Connolly

SHOCK !!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Kevin Doyle has just put Reading 1-0 up.

Doyler for Ireland!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

im well pleased for kevin doyle, seems to be settling in well now at reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Shay Given is supposed to be having a stormer for Newcastle, as always. According to BBC, he's been keeping them in the game and Soccernet's stats show Fulham have had 11 shots on goal. It wouldn't be the first time he'd rescued Newcastle - Souness should kiss the ground he walks on.

With all the troubles that Man Utd and Arsenal have had, its a crime that neither have tried to sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Best Goalkeeper in England, if not Europe tbh.

And before some one sais it, yes, he is better than cech.

Good stuff about the Irish lads scoring. I wonder what odds i would get on Connoly being the premierships top scorer this season?? :D

Is he the answer to our need for a striker? (Or has that ship sailed? I most certainly think it has.)

Any news on Robbie? is he playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Duff put in a lovely cross for Drogba to score.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

I havent seen connollys goal yet but it would be fantastic for us if he was getting 20 goals this season. I cant see it though, more like 4 or 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fair play Kev Doyle, apparently he was on Soccer AM's taxi last week though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

jubbly wrote:
    I havent seen connollys goal yet but it would be fantastic for us if he was getting 20 goals this season. I cant see it though, more like 4 or 5.

His goal today was very well taken.
    He'll score more than 4 or 5, especially against the lower teams.
    Wigan aren't a bad side.

I think he deserves to at least be considered for a call up to the Irish team.
    He'd be far more useful than Doherty.

Killian

I just seen the goal.. its a good goal and he took it well. It will be intresting to see how he fairs this season. Best of luck to him and Kavanagh. I hear Kavanagh put in some great passes.

Connolly deserves a call up to the squad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Best Goalkeeper in England, if not Europe tbh.

And before some one sais it, yes, he is better than cech.

I think so too. If Given had Cech's defence, he'd have just as good a record. Put Boumsong in front of Cech instead of Terry and see well he fares.

Can't see him getting one with the history he's had. He's supposed to be very arrogant too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

jubbly wrote:
    I just seen the goal.. its a good goal and he took it well. It will be intresting to see how he fairs this season. Best of luck to him and Kavanagh. I hear Kavanagh put in some great passes.

You were giving Connolly shít on foot.ie. He'll be crap again if he doesn't score next week I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Jonathon Douglas scored at the death for Leeds to equalise in a 3-3 draw with Brighton. Wayne Henderson was in goals, and Paul McShane played in defence for Brighton

Connolly has messed up in the past at international level, he is playing at a higher level now and if he can continue to score goals for Wigan then I see no reason to give him a go instead of Clinton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

By the way things are going at the minute with Spurs.
    Connolly and Morrisson will be match fit come October Keane won't.
    I'm not saying Connolly and Morrisson will put Keane out of the team, but match fitness has to be considered.

Keane and Connolly up front against Cyprus (if Connolly continues his goal scoring, Elliott might have put a few away by then too!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

jubbly wrote:
    Connolly has messed up in the past at international level, he is playing at a higher level now and if he can continue to score goals for Wigan then I see no reason to give him a go instead of Clinton.

It's very unlikely he'll get in there ahead of Clinton. He would be in the squad as our 3rd or 4th choice striker with Stephen Elliott. Anyone would be better than Doherty though. I suppose Kerr likes to think that he's "versatile" as he can be put on as a crap defender or a crap striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

more like robbie keane who let us all down last week with his 3 day boozing session before the biggest match of his life.What a muppet.He was rubbish that day and i hope he cops on to himself.As an article in the sunday world said he has to grow up as now, he has failed at inter milan, leeds and now spurs who want to sell him.I wonder why. Clinton at least tries his best and will prob score 20+ for palace this season.

These guys are payed silly money because they have a gift and they just piss it all away. Sure look at yesterdays match at croker, these guys get payed nothing and they have more heart and guts than most soccer players today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Connolly took his goal really well, it would be great if he started baning them in, we could use another option up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I see nothing wrong with bringing him back into the Ireland squad, as a bit of genuine competition for the front two can only be a good thing. He has scored goals everywhere he went, although not at the highest level, but clearly has an eye for goal and as Saturdays goal showed he has genuine pace to beat defenders.

Robbie Keane really needs to be kept on his toes. He hasn't played much club football this season and spends the build-up to the countries most important game in years on binges. Great player on his day but his "days" aren't frequent enough. Everyone here know competition brings out the best in players.

Advertisement