Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wickerman Remake?

• 10-09-2005 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

It's probably old news to most, but I just found out that They're remake The Wickerman and setting it in the US. Here's the link:
    IMDB - Wickerman
    Nicholas Cage is plating the sheriff. I honestly don't know why they bother. Or even why I bother complaining. :( It'll make money no matter what.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In the 80s and 90s Hollywood was happy to remake French films, it seems the 21st century is all about trashing Brit clasics.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The Wickerman, set today, in the US.

Can't wait to see the villagers call the ACLU and the Witches' Anti-Defamation League, complain about the copper's obvious bias and demand someone else do the investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oh well good luck to them, they will have the pagan anti deflamatory networkPAN watching them and various other groups.

Things are a lot different now then when the orginal was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Bah... i dont see how they can top Christopher Lee's creepiness and Britt Eklund's naked dance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

And suddenly suicide seems understandable...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Thaed wrote:
    Oh well good luck to them, they will have the pagan anti deflamatory networkPAN watching them and various other groups.

Things are a lot different now then when the orginal was made.

What is PAN like MMN only with more henna tattoos and make-up?

wicca friendly buffy and sabrina the teenage witch doesn't float your boat?

It boggles the mind, we can sneer at Christians picketing the Last temptation of christ, but heaven help us if we protray pagans as anything other than wise spiritually gifted poetic souls.
    mike65 wrote:
    In the 80s and 90s Hollywood was happy to remake French films, it seems the 21st century is all about trashing Brit clasics.

Actually it was remade (or ripped off) by the british in the very late 90s in an dreadful version set in Wales with a reporter playing the investigator role.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Bush brought back burning suspected witches at the stake.

free barbeque! \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

CuLT wrote:
    free barbeque! \o/
    Mmmm heretic fresh

Every religion has it's crackpots,
    but when a film shows/slanders that all members of a religion or spiritual path
    are crackpots well then; that is when they will get into trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Poster for it:

wicker_man.jpg

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    Poster for it:

wicker_man.jpg
    boo with anti-hotlinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Thaed wrote:

You mean like PAN?
    If the Cultural Supremacists could smash that eternal hope in us, and thereby display the failure of magical and philosophical alternatives, the forces of ignorance would have achieved a very great victory indeed. I began to realise that this was not simply a form of censorship, it was a method of modifying awareness and perspective through fears which had been imprinted deep down in our psyches during childhood by automatic mechanisms which had been reinforced at every level in a culture whose ruling elite had phased out all alternative options and spiritual freedoms. Disinformation interwoven into our literature, history, archaeology, faery tales, poetry, art, architecture resurfaced in a replay of our conditioning. Even the very language itself was pejorative, and disabled us from seeking understanding. An insidious method of changing of one's loyalties and perspectives began. First sowing the seeds of doubt. Then activating the imprinting mechanisms which began to make one's chosen alternative appear an unreasonable and ingenuine superimposition. An 'unnatural' perspective which demanded too high a personal price. The brainwashing has been so successful over the years because it makes use of the innate apathy of the human mind. Sooner or later, due to exhaustion, awareness dims and the mind sleeps; but the imprinted insecurities never sleep. The subconscious works all the time and when consciousness takes over again, things look less and less good. Your perspective less and less certain.

Yes lucid and coherant like a coven of Mary Whitehouses, married to the Lone Gun men.

[edit]
    And hell this was before I got to their post about christian infiltrating pagan discussion forums as mods.
    [/edit]

And did the Wickerman slander an entire religion? No a group on a remote island under the spell of a charismatic ruler.

The wickerman was made in the 70s when there was a blooming of Paganism and Druidism, hell it's a favourite of some pagan friends of mine. It was made, and released without fuss.

But I guarentee, I will lay money on this now, the update with have been gang raped by a group of "less we offend" producers, and they'll have toned down this dark brillant little gem, and christ, added a friendly "good" pagan so not to alienate the alternative dollar (this is not the only way they'll abuse this fine film)

Why? Because of simpering pressure groups, MMN, are just louder, more coherant, and better funded than PAN, but the mission is still the same, to force the world to adhere to only their idealised version of themselves and their beliefs, and damn anyone who dares think anyway otherwise.

Now I forget Thaed, which Placard was yours, the "careful now" or the "down with this sort of thing" ?

I think they may get grief from both sides the fully bunny neowiccans and the
    christian fundies.
    Hate to see the orginal fúcked with tbh.
    Hope they dont leave out Willow's song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

From scotsman.com
    The original director of The Wicker Man has called in his lawyers to have his name taken off promotional material for the $40m movie even before lead star Nicolas Cage has finished filming.

"The amazing thing is that all the publicity keeps on saying that I have written the screenplay, which is obviously not true," says Hardy, who did not even take a writing credit on the original, though he worked closely with writer Anthony Shaffer.
    Hardy is highly sceptical about the new Wicker Man. "I don't quite understand what they're doing. It appears that not only is the lady involved, but there are also attacks by killer bees, which sounds like a really old-style horror film."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

killer bees ?

sweet mother of god

when are these remakes going to end

its one group on a remote island not exactly all pagans now is it ? i always thought of it as more of a cult due to remote living type of thing ala deliverance than it being any sort of attack against pagans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Remakes should be made illegal. :mad:

Yes! Killer Bees!

And rabid dogs! And when the dogs bark they shoot killer bees out of their mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

CuLT wrote:
    Yes! Killer Bees!

And rabid dogs! And when the dogs bark they shoot killer bees out of their mouth!

That sir is a movie I would subscribe to, would the bee's have laser stingers by any chance. I do like a good laser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Oh FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Rhyme wrote:
    Bah... i dont see how they can top Christopher Lee's creepiness and Britt Eklund's naked dance

pointless info (more here):

They actually got a body double in for the nekkid dance as Eklund was preggers at the time, and she was a bit peeved because the double had (allegedly) a much bigger bum than she did.

Prior to shooting the final scene, Edward Woodward was in the Wicker Man and a goat was penned in above him. Because the goat was scared at being shut up, it urinated on Woodward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Oh mighty and vengeful God, tell me who to smite and they shall be smotten!

Advertisement