Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Spurs

• 10-09-2005 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Did see the game, but sounded pretty even, 2 disallowed goals one each....these are exactly the type of games liverpool have dropped points in, in recent years. If Liverpool want to mount a serious challenge they have to win this type of fixture.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

By challenge do you mean the top four or to challenge for the title ? I don't think they are capable of winning the league but getting 4th place is within their potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Robbie Keane on the bench again today, Martin Jol doesnt seem to fancy him since he signed another Championship player. Were screwed in Cyprus if Robbie is on the bench until January :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

jubbly wrote:
    Were screwed in Cyprus if Robbie is on the bench until January :(

Think about what you are saying....its only Cyprus.

The Cyprus and the chocolate makers 4 days later. Morrision is booked so were in serious sh1t. Elliott, Connolly and Keane are our only real options.

Robbie could be playing for Everton (who are near the relegation zone at the moment) if spurs signed that other striker. Things havent worked out with him at Spurs what so ever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I agree this could/will be a problem for the Swiss game but not for the Cyprus one,Cork or Shels would turn them over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Woah Riise's effort was amazing!

we found it very hard to turn them over with roy keane last time around. Were going to find it equally hard this time around :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Is this the Spurs v Liverpool thread or it is the Ireland WC Qualification discussion thread ?!?

This was a close game, both teams created chances and had a few on target. Riise was very unlucky not to score, hitting the underside of the bar with a screamer, but Spurs also hit the woodwork. A draw was probably a fair result, which could be considered as two points behind target if Liverpool are looking for a comfortable 4th. Benitez said that last season Liverpool lost too many and drew too many away games, and this season two away draws is not the ideal start. However, its too early to judge but the key to 4th is away wins. This isnt one that got away, a draw was about right so the team and Rafa can be reasonably satisfied, given that it was a few days after international games for several players.

Crouch was on display but didnt have a good game I thought. He kept getting caught offside and fouled quite a bit. For any of those that thought his signing was going to see him metamorphose into something brilliant, this was a wake up call. Wakey wakey Rafa!

I guess Liverpool's only consolation are the poor results by Arsenal and Man Utd. Liverpool will be compared with them all season. Meanwhile, Chelsea march on, and have yet to concede a goal!

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

redspider wrote:
    Meanwhile, Chelsea march on, and have yet to concede a goal!

redspider

How many have Liverpool conceeded in the league this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

How many have Liverpool conceeded in the league this season?

none either but thats not the main issue at liverpool...they have only scored 1 while chelsea have notched up 10!!!!

the final touch is all liverpool need we shold have nabbed owen...if we did it would've been maybe 3rd we are fighting for rather than hopin for champions league next year...lets hope we win it again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

redspider wrote:

and this season two away draws is not the ideal start.

I'm much happier that liverpool drew rather than lost. Unfortunately I was unable to see highlights but from what I've heard it was a close game and that's the type they have an unfortunate tendancy to concede stupid goals and lose it. 2 draws is still 2 points, and they could count at the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

yeah thats true its bettr than losin but if we the pool can't put a goal past the teams they've played aready how do they plan on gettin points off chelsea etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Squirrel wrote:
    I'm much happier that liverpool drew rather than lost. Unfortunately I was unable to see highlights but from what I've heard it was a close game

I was at the game yesterday and apart from the first 20 minutes of the 2nd hald, Liverpool were second best. I'm a Spurs fan so I'm probably biased, but if Liverpool are serious about a top 4 finish then they have a lot of improving to do.

Carrahger, Hypia, and Warnock were Liverpoll's best players, with Crouch (and his correctly disallowed goal), Cisse and Gerrard anonymous.

Michael Carrick was outsanding in midfield for Spurs, with the SGE watching from the stands. Won't make a blind bit of difference... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Im amazed Alonso wasn't playing from the start. Had he been on, im sure Liverpool would have taken control of the game early on and grabbed a goal.

Squirrel wrote:
    I'm much happier that liverpool drew rather than lost. Unfortunately I was unable to see highlights but from what I've heard it was a close game. 2 draws is still 2 points

People need to realise that a loss is 3 pts dropped and a draw is 2 pts dropped ie: a draw is 2/3rd's of a loss (66%). Much better to win one game and lose the other (3 pts) than draw two games (2 pts). In fact, 50% better. Mindsets have to change about draw's if you are a team challenging for the top of the table. If you are a team looking for mid-table, a draw away is fine.

I watched the highlights of the game again this morning. There were mixed performances by Liverpool players.

I'm worried about Reina (as he is no better than Dudek). He was very dodgy on one cross, and for several saves that he made he "batted" the ball back out into the danger area rather than pushing it out wide towards the safety of the corner or for a corner.

Garcia was bad and gave zero cover to Finnan. Garcia is by and large a liability to Liverpool. The team has to carry him and we cant afford that. Warnock was very good from what I saw. Carra seemed to be a bit below par, no doubt still feeling the effects of the international match on Wed against NI. He also faced a very lively Defoe. Hyppia got caught for pace once and gave up a yellow card for it.

Crouch was played as a target man - well, what a surprise! He got a few knock-downs to Cisse, but didnt do much in the game I thought. Cisse was selected to play in the middile up-front with and and was good by and large. He got several good shots away and this is his best position, but he has yet to learn the deft touch. Maybe he is just trying too hard. Riise was excellent and played in left midfield. So, he got up quite a bit, but he is just a defender so we cant expect him to score so many up front.

Sissoko was just so-so and lacked tempo. Gerrard was ok but had a quiet game by his standards, also suffering no doubt after the England game. Alonso only had 20 mins to show himself and did ok when he came on. Riise moved back to left back to fill the gap as Warnock went off.

I think Spurs are an ok side, so overall 1 pt from this match is not the end of the world.

So, overall, a below par start from Liverpool in the league. No need to panic, but there are no signals that the team will do any better this season when compared with last. 4th place is likely to be the heights of ambition for this team, unless Arsenal fail to get their act together.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

redspider wrote:
    People need to realise that a loss is 3 pts dropped and a draw is 2 pts dropped ie: a draw is 2/3rd's of a loss (66%). Much better to win one game and lose the other (3 pts) than draw two games (2 pts). In fact, 50% better. Mindsets have to change about draw's if you are a team challenging for the top of the table. If you are a team looking for mid-table, a draw away is fine.

Statistically as good... However.. 1 win and 3 losses compared to 3 draws and 1 loss is conisderably worse for morale..

Statistics can be used to prove anything. 80% of all people know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Statistics can be used to prove anything. 80% of all people know that.
    True, but the other 20% are adament.

5 points from nine, it's not the end of the world - more like the start of the season. I was hoping Liverpool would have more rhythm at this stage with the extra CL games but obviously not. Spurs will be one of the teams we need to compete against for 4th, we were away and we didn't lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

redspider wrote:
    Garcia was bad and gave zero cover to Finnan. Garcia is by and large a liability to Liverpool. The team has to carry him and we cant afford that.

Be careful what you say about these Garica - you will be accused of having a bias against Liverpool. ;)

TheMonster wrote:
    Be careful what you say about these Garica - you will be accused of having a bias against Liverpool. ;)
    I think people would weigh up the balance (which amounts to quite a lot) of what he says about Liverpool before suggesting that. He's more likely to be accused of being rational - something which biased (yes, they're allowed to be biased) ManU supporters can get accused of also.

Not that I'm accusing you of being rational TheMonster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

didn't think so Pete ;) - just find it funny that Utd fans can get attacked for saying the same things as Liverpool fans. From my friends that are Pool fans I think the majority feel the same about Garcia as redpsider. Yes he does score important goals but in general this doesn't outweigh his inadequacies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

plus in losing games - you are giving other teams 3 points. with draws you are denying them that. So it depends on who you are playing.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Statistics can be used to prove anything.

Points are a statistic, and if a club has more than anybody else after a season, they win the league prize! That is the aim. Chelsea had more points than Liverpool and all other teams last year.

Goals are a statistic from a game, the team with the most goals wins the game. The team that wins get 3 pts, if they lose 0 pts and if they draw 1pt.

simple stuff ....

two draws => 4 pts lost, thats a lot of points, wake up!

redspider

redspider wrote:
    Points are a statistic, and if a club has more than anybody else after a season, they win the league prize!
    That's dangerous talk - are you saying that the league is based on lies?

I was only joking with the last point, I saw it on Bull Island a while back.

Highlights here if anybody missed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I was only joking with the last point, I saw it on Bull Island a while back.

Highlights here if anybody missed them.
    thx for link...missed them need to see Riises shot everyone going on about

Advertisement