Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Souness playing injured players

• 10-09-2005 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Ok, so before the international break Souness played Dyer and Emre with injuries (which became much worse injuries) against Man Utd.

But then to do the same again with Luque today, who is now out for six weeks! this a disgrace.
    He also brought on Bowyer who wasn't fully fit!
    Played Bramble who hasn't had 90 minutes of football this season! and isn't that great when match fit either.

so now we are down Dyer, Emre and Luque because Souness has played all three with injuries!

He is a man under pressure so he gambled, in some ways I understand what he done with Emre and Dyer, but to do the same again today with Luque?

Personally I don't believe he should risk players careers just to save his own!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

The man is an A hole. There was a souness is great thread on here and I laughed when I saw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He did the same at Blackburn with the likes of David Dunn and Steven Reid. The result was that Reid never got a decent run in the team injury free until Mark Hughes gave him time to recover and the problems that Dunn is having now at Birmingham.

The thread was called "the Graeme Souness Appreciation Thread". Newcastle fans will come to see that they will share my opinion of Souness in the months to come.

He's a joke of a manager. He can't get players fit either. Every Blackburn player claims that they are now far fitter with Hughes training regime than they were with Souness'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Every manager at some time or another has gambled on playing injured players and it doesn't come off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

evilhomer wrote:
    Ok, so before the international break Souness played Dyer and Emre with injuries (which became much worse injuries) against Man Utd.

But then to do the same again with Luque today, who is now out for six weeks! this a disgrace.
    He also brought on Bowyer who wasn't fully fit!
    Played Bramble who hasn't had 90 minutes of football this season! and isn't that great when match fit either.

so now we are down Dyer, Emre and Luque because Souness has played all three with injuries!

He is a man under pressure so he gambled, in some ways I understand what he done with Emre and Dyer, but to do the same again today with Luque?

Personally I don't believe he should risk players careers just to save his own!

Just one of around 700 examples as to why he is the worst manager in the Premiership.

All managers do risk players with minor injuries from time to time but in the case of Dyer and Emre they were nowhere near fit. Playing players when they are not fit 90% of the time will result in further injuries and reduce their squad to the bare mininum. Simply you can't do it unless it's a major game but risking Luque against the mighty Fulham? Defies logic.

The guy is a plonker and he would have been sacked after yesterday if hadn't Owen signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

d22ontour wrote:
    Every manager at some time or another has gambled on playing injured players and it doesn't come off.
    Three players in the space of three weeks?
    Two against Man Utd and one against Fulham?

He also player Bowyer not 100% yesterday too.
    Not to mention playing Nicky Butt in the intertoto cup with food poisoning!

Thats not some time or other thats every second week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

He played Nicky Butt in the Intertoto cup with found poisoning! LOL!
    Greame Souness is a knobbbbbbb!!!!!!!!

Heard today that Souness is blaming the training ground pitch for all the injuries!
    Not too sure about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Just a thought.

Newcastle have had a terrible record with injuries for a while now, and that includes under Bobby Robson too.

In fact the best but of business Newcastle have done in ages was shipping out Woodgate to Real, ... still to start a game for them .. hehe!

Now i now the souness haters among you will blame him for that too, but there might be something in that story about the training ground.(or some other common factor).

X

Now i now the souness haters among you will blame him for that too, but there might be something in that story about the training ground.(or some other common factor).

Shearer was interviewed yesterday about this and said that they have moved away from the training pitch but are still seeing the problems? I'm not saying that it is Souness's fault that the players were initially injured (but there are an awful lot of hamstring injuries). But playing them again with injuries is his fault.

It could be that the conditioning work in pre-season was poor (as some Blackburn players said when Souness left). Maybe his backroom staff he brought with him are just not up to the task?

Newcastle have always had problems with injuries alright but its not looking at all good for their new signings.

Emre and Luque are already injured after just joining the club. I'm hoping Bellamy won't turn out the same for Blackburn, he picked up an ankle injury in pre-season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There is some kind of problem at Newcastle because their players are constantly getting injured. If they have moved away from their original training ground well then I guess you cant really blame it on that. But to get back to the original problem, Souness cant be blamed on the players picking up their original injuries but he is definitely to blame for making those injuries worse. He constantly starts players who are injured and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that playing injured players will only make them worse.

The physio should really try and stop Souness from playing the injured players or at least advise him heavily against it. I have to agree with the people who are saying he is a terrible manager because he really is. Look at the players he has at his disposal and the team are still doing rubbish. He also wastes all his money buying midfield players when its blatantly obvious that their defence is terrible. There is no doubt he will be gone by the end of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has been dealt another major injury blow after it was confirmed £9.5million signing Albert Luque could be out of action for two months.

The Scot admitted at the weekend that the former Deportivo La Coruna forward might be sidelined for six weeks with the hamstring tear which ended his participation in the 1-1 home draw with Fulham.

However, the Magpies have now confirmed that a scan carried out on Monday has revealed the full extent of the damage, and he could now be missing for between eight and 10 weeks.

Well done Souness, you are a genius. I suppose this is another part of his "decade of success" as it was put to me!

Advertisement