Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: The Big Dipper

• 10-09-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I found this on lost-tv.com - if you write out the numbers in a grid they form a reversed Big Dipper constellation which was seen on one of the episodes:

loststars3ds.jpg

Could the survivors be on a planet on the far side of the Big Dipper?

That lost-tv thread also mentions Connect 4 in relation to the numbers, where there are 42 possible positions in a 6x7 grid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

now that i do like.. i'll check out the site...

has anyone checked the letters in the s2 promo or am i just seeing things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Quarantine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Something I just thought, even though it looks liek a reversed Big dipper with one star missing, is the Big Dipper even visable from the southern hemisphere?

also, they would still be in our solar system

qz wrote:
    Quarantine?

i don't mean that, i mean here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3327709&postcount=7

• Advertisement

loon wrote:

You mean the faint reversed backward letters behind "Everything happens for a reason"?:

losts28uj.jpg

yeah... the first looks like 'je' (french for 'i')... but i reversed it and then embossed it (it was easier to see) and theres quite a bit, but i was unable to remove the EVERYTHING HAPPENS .....

I'll try an editing job on it. Here it is enlarged and reversed:

hiddenwritinglarge0ge.png

Look like EMP and So below that. Can't make out the rest yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Employ and Sound are what I can see?

/me goes off to fiddle around in fireworks.

Does anyone have it in .png?

there's a lot more under the writing and what about the 'je'???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

hidden.jpg

I don't know about 'sound' but it definitely seems to say
    Employ E***o* the
    Sos*** B**** ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The picture is a scan of a page, and that's the writing on the back page. You can see the image is slanted slightly.

no wonder i couldn't remove the layers...

Giblet wrote:
    The picture is a scan of a page, and that's the writing on the back page. You can see the image is slanted slightly.
    Why would a professionally done poster be printed on paper cheap enough that what was written on the reverse would scan through? Wouldn't a poster be too big to scan? Just curious, hilarious if true though :)

Giblet wrote:

hang on a sec... if it is a scan of a page, where's the rest of the text?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

you'll get nothing from that magazine scan, i did however stumble on something much more interesting. If you look closely at leonardo's last supper:

lastsupper.jpg

At first glance it just looks like jesus and the 12 apostles, look closely though and you can just about make out what looks like a polar bear on the left. Jesus looks suspiciously like Jack and most interestingly of all, one of the apostles on the right looks quite like thor, the norse god of thunder, holding miolnir, his trusty hammer of smiting. This doesn't make much sense, but now consider ethan's name

"ethan rom" = anagram = other man, fair enough, but the REAL anagram is clearly: "mean thor"

It is my firm belief that the writers had the painting of the last supper in mind when writing this script. Are thor and the polar bear in some arctic conspiracy against the christian jack? Is valhalla duelling heaven through the island? I think this image and leonardo's other works warrant further scrutiny. Opinions please.

Giblet wrote:
    Haha.. yes.. that's the most likely answer.

It was obviously scanned out of a magazine and that's probably another advert coming through from the next page. Only the heavy bold type is coming through though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Its "Employees of The" Damn I have good eyesight. Im 100 per cent sure of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

sionnach....
    ....go to sleep.

does anyone know where it came from, because that would shed the most light onto the matter?

• Advertisement

loon wrote:
    does anyone know where it came from, because that would shed the most light onto the matter?

Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie, Milan

you know what i meant...

... and besides, thor did not have a beard, only odin did, as only he was strong enough to defeat fafnir.

loon wrote:
    ... and besides, thor did not have a beard, only odin did, as only he was strong enough to defeat fafnir.

but of course, you don't think thor could have gotten so close to jesus without a cunning disguise do you?

Bloody hell, how did I never see that polar bear in the Last Supper before?

You've opened a box sionnach...

loon wrote:
    you know what i meant...

Are you suggesting that beards give a person magical powers?

/me lolls.

Good point, excellently made Sionnach, I feel more than a little silly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

lol sionnach... :rolleyes: nicely done

Are you suggesting that beards give a person magical powers?

no, unfortunately... but with norse gods a beard had to be earned ie the top dog had one and thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

sionnach wrote:
    you'll get nothing from that magazine scan, i did however stumble on something much more interesting. If you look closely at leonardo's last supper:

lastsupper.jpg

At first glance it just looks like jesus and the 12 apostles, look closely though and you can just about make out what looks like a polar bear on the left. Jesus looks suspiciously like Jack and most interestingly of all, one of the apostles on the right looks quite like thor, the norse god of thunder, holding miolnir, his trusty hammer of smiting. This doesn't make much sense, but now consider ethan's name

"ethan rom" = anagram = other man, fair enough, but the REAL anagram is clearly: "mean thor"

It is my firm belief that the writers had the painting of the last supper in mind when writing this script. Are thor and the polar bear in some arctic conspiracy against the christian jack? Is valhalla duelling heaven through the island? I think this image and leonardo's other works warrant further scrutiny. Opinions please.
    I give up... serioulsly...

:)

• Advertisement

Does anyone notice that in the background behind Jesus you can see the newborn alien from Alien: Resurrection?

lastsupperaliennewborn6su.jpgnewborn15pp.jpg

What has this got to do with Lost? Is Lostzilla a giant newborn Alien?

More importantly getting back on topic, why is no one discussing the BOMBSHELL that is the reversed Big Dipper type constellation that is formed by The Numbers when in a 6x7 grid?

Do you really need this explained...

well ok...

the big dipper is an asterism that consists of 7 stars which make up part of the 16 star constellation ursa major... but the main reason is that it is only visible from the northern hemisphere...

musca, dorado and hydrus are visible (sometimes) from the southern hemisphere and all have 6 stars but none resemble the big dipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

my. head. hurts.

But it's not actually the Big Dipper, it's reversed and only has 6 stars in stead of 7. Maybe TPTB just threw it in there to make us come up with wild theories involve intergalactic wormholes and the survivors being on an Earth-like planet orbiting one of the star in the Big Dipper?

The fact that The Numbers form the constellation in the screen cap is definately no coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Anima wrote:
    Shut up.
    Watch it Anima...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The text seems to say "TEMPORARY TEXT UNTIL WE PUT IN THE ACTUAL SNAPPY CAPTION"

OFDM wrote:
    The fact that The Numbers form the constellation in the screen cap is definately no coincidence.
    But look at the way the numbers are layed out.. what sort of number grid would go like that? And also it needs the whole thing needs to be tilted.

It just seems like someone trying really hard to fit the numbers in somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

But look at the way the numbers are layed out.. what sort of number grid would go like that? And also it needs the whole thing needs to be tilted.

Ye I agree,I have never seen a number grid layed out like that. This seems like a case of someone doing what they can to make the numbers fit in a pattern,rather than them actually having a pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

First up - LOL @ Sionnach - hilarious post!
    tvnutz wrote:
    Ye I agree,I have never seen a number grid layed out like that. This seems like a case of someone doing what they can to make the numbers fit in a pattern,rather than them actually having a pattern.

Agree that they can be forced into any pattern to try to put a theory together, but I have to say, 'the Big Dipper' is one of my favourite numbers explanations so far. The only downside to it is that it doesn't really explain the significance of the numbers 'bringing' people to the island; it's more of a quirky side-effect of them. But it did show up in the final scenes of "Special" in the establishing shot just before Michael showed Walt the old sketches (that's the source of the shot at the top of this thread), and over on the long thread, we did discuss how the Plough cannot be seen south of the equator... which brings up the question of what the hell it was doing visible on an island which is supposedly in the southern hemisphere...?!

So considering the Plough has already shown up and posed a question in relation to the island, it's pretty cool it can be seen in the numbers as well (even though I don't think this is what the producers intended.)

just another red herring me thinks...

• Advertisement

But what are the chances that such a simple numbering scheme would produce an almost identical constellation?

Also consider that the Connect 4 game being played by the crazy guy that Hurley talks to in "Numbers" is also a 6x7 grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Yeah I have to agree with OFDM.Its a bit of a coincidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

OFDM wrote:
    But what are the chances that such a simple numbering scheme would produce an almost identical constellation?

Also consider that the Connect 4 game being played by the crazy guy that Hurley talks to in "Numbers" is also a 6x7 grid.

I agree, the numbers producing something so close is remarkable - which is why I think this is a very neat and fun explanation for them. However, it's next to impossible to get across on screen... and I'm a little surprised none of the smarter characters - Locke, Jack, Sayid - have yet spotted the unusual nature of being able to see the Plough looking formed so correctly in the Southern Hemisphere.

But I also hope there's more to the Plough being seen in that shot in "Special" than just throwing it in itself as a red herring. I'd like the characters to draw attention to it. Sayid - or even Danielle - must have some rudimentary astronomy info which can try to make sense of the sky above, even as a rough estimate of where they might be.

Advertisement