Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The first time you played each ff game....

Options
  • 10-09-2005 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey I recently just finished final fantasy 7 for the first time today. Now I used the internet guides (and boards ;))etc... to get my gold chocobo and get to the four materia caves, something that would have taken a decade had i not gotten help.

My question to you guys is, when you played each ff (7,8,9,10) for the first time, did you do it without using any help from the internet at all?

If any of you did with no help, you must have missed a lot of stuff in each game, (again like in ff7 it must have been hard to breed a gold chocobo without a guide as to where to find all the best chocobo, nuts etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Never used a guide on the first or second play through... after getting all i can i check what ive missed in a guide (usually have most stuff)... FF9 had a lot of hidden stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

so did you miss much in ff7 and 8? surely the chocobo quest was extremely difficult without help? or did u not do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The chocobo thing just took time and most of the other stuff just took a bit of exploring... only the flyer competition took a guide for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Chocobos take a bit too much time to figure out for my liking. A guide/advice is better to use there. As far as story is concerned I'd obvioulsy not use a guide.

There's quite a deal of stuff in the games though that is too hard to find without long frustrating hours spent looking for them and the other stuff you just miss completely. And then get annoyed afterwards becasue things are fecked up.

Take FFX for example, I thought I'd never use a guide and as a result missed a few destruction spheres in a temple or two, "Right so" I thought to myself, "I'll just pop back and get them so" but then find my way blocked by those bloody dark aeons and an immense amount of hassle had to be endured before I could get anywhere.

Now that's merely one example but the games are riddled with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

yeah that's my worry grimloch, i dont want to use guides for the main games (not sidequests like chocobo) but i would just know i'de have missed important stuff coz of not having time to go EVERYWHERE and talk to almost everyone.

I'm going to start eight in a while (after i take a break of a few weeks at least) coz each one is so time consuming) and i just feel like ill get to like the 3rd disk and realised i havent got X certain stuff that i need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

It's been so long since I first played FFVII that I can't remember much,
    Except that I didn't use any hints or guides for the firsts first try's.
    I know that I missed alot of stuff, but I didn't mind playing the game over again to collect the things which I missed...
    Actually I think now I'll restart and play it over again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'm going to start eight in a while (after i take a break of a few weeks at least) coz each one is so time consuming) and i just feel like ill get to like the 3rd disk and realised i havent got X certain stuff that i need

Don't get me started about the things I've missed in that game, granted a good few of them are my fault but it's just so easy to over look most of the things in the games.

I've missing about 3 GF's at least and have fecked up something else that I can't quite seem to remember at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The chocobo thing in seven isn't so hard. You're told what to do in the game, and there's only a few places where you can catch chocobos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I use a guide on the second time through each of the games so i don't miss anything. Missd out on the little side stoey about cloud and zack in the shinra mansion the first time through FFVII.

I did however get told by a friend what to do for the gold chocobo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PAINLESS

never used a guide first time round on any of them
    i actually got so immersed in 7s storyline 1st time round i never bothered taking my time to check anything out as a result when i got to the end i was too weak to fight my magic was **** didnt even have yuffie had no ultimate weapons

2nd time i think i got a little help with how to get yuffie on you r team did a lot of training the gold chocobo wasnt a problem you are told what to do and just reset if it doesnt work n try again
    got a bit of help from the guide about enemy skill magic aswell and how to get the huge materia from the rocket and bahamut zero etc

so its ok to get a bit of help if youre stuck but not the first time round i reckon thats cheatin .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Switchead

yeah i dnt use ne guides r ne thin like that first time round for most games, and with final fantasy i think its stupid to use guides the first r second time round cuz it'd destroy the emersion into the story...

i totally lived through ff7 first time round (so what if i missed a few things), i'd b totally pissed off if i missed that through cheatin...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Only time i bought a guide was for X-2 :o getting some of the stuff was a PITA, i still havent unlocked -
    The Secret Ending when you obtain 100%
    - although i only need a few more things to collect :)

All other times i basically figured out what to do on my own , however i did print out a bribe and sphere list for FFX to get some of the more rare items needed to kill Penance [ man i'll be happy when thats done ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

first played VII, never used any guides but did miss a lot of stuff on my first finish of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

I've only really played FFVII through once. A few months after I got to the end I got an internet walkthrough. It's a very straight forward game to play through to the end, but I missed a lot. I only found Vincent (was that his name?, it's been a while) when I was playing it later!

Getting a gold chocobo took a long time of trial and error because I wasn't sure what I was doing. Getting knights of the round was very cool! Of course the first time I heard about it was when I was looking at a guide.
    Someday I hope to play it through following a guide but it's just so big it's putting me off!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i've never used guides in any of them,x-2 is the only one i have left to do out of them all.finding some of the stuff in IX was so ****ing hard.running along a passage i suddenly turn right,run into the wall...use a hammer and get an aeon...i see how i was supposed to figure that one out :p
    well i will never use guides i believe..might ask here sometime in the future though.
    it's very time consuming when you dont ask...hundreds of hours clocked up on them all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've used internet guides for stuff like the gold chocobo in VII...I did use one once in VIII to get doomtrain and I wouldn't have bothered getting the laguna card if I hadn't been tipped off by a friend (who used a guide) as to the usefulness of it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stimulant

I never looked at any solutions for ffIV.But still did everything(w-item,kill ruby,emerald,tifa's best weapon,knights of the round,final attack etc).They have put plenty of clues in the game.The only thing i didnt get on my own was those blasted paradise posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

the problem is I dont really have the time for a second playthrough on these rpgs as they are too time consuming. i am only on my first playthrough of VII and im on my way to the gold saucer. I havnt used a guide as of yet but i really dont want to miss anythin. so i may end up doin it. i wonder what i have already missed.

Advertisement