Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

english essay

Options
  • 10-09-2005 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

im doing an english essay on " the part which other peoples expections play in our lives". in bad need of alot of help if anyone could it would be bri.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hmm. You could talk about a guy who has a lot of pressure on him to do well in school, but who really just wants to drop out and pursue his own dream. Advantage of that is you can just use your own dreams so you know what you;re talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Yeh thats a good idea.I was thinking along the lines of somthing like that.Like x had to act y to stay in a group etc..And he has to liveup to the groups expectations.You could maybe write about peer pressure too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

haha, I got that essay to do aswell. It's from last years pappers, We have to choose one of the seven, I'm thinkin of the one entitled "recent history"... it's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lol i done that paper last year and i can't even remember what essay i done.

was there an essay to write about one of the pictures and then in turn one of the pictures was a child and his father playing an xbox? i think that's the one i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hmm well what first comes to mind for me is you could detail a few different expectations on the one person and how its impossible to please everyone. Eg his/her own expectations re the LC and what course they're setting their sights on, then his/her parents who want him to be studying all the time, friends who maybe aren't in 6th year, wondering why he can't go out as much. Have to strike a balance somewhere.

Sorry if that sounds rubbish lol sounds better in my head just can't get across what I mean without writing the essay!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

Could that not also be the peer preasure drink/drugs thing?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

If I was writing that essay I would probably have a rant about all the people who tried to push me into medicine... I discovered in fifth year that well-structured ranting is entertaining to whoever is marking it, hence encouraging them to mark you highly, and that drawing from your own experiences is a good thing because it makes it more believable. However, the peer pressure idea is also a very good one, becuase you could draw from your own experiences on that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Begin with discussing just how much other peoples expectations effecty you or some sort of annecdote.

you could discuss how the society we live in completely moulds our mind and forces us into a school->college->job->die mode. how the expectations of teachers and parents of good results destroys any origional creativity.

however with increasing liberalism in peoples views things are slightly changing, for the worse. With more freedom some people go a bit mad and that leads to expectations about all people who fit into that cataqgory. i.e. asbos(some teanagers are knobs so we all must be)

End on how it doesn't really matter seeing as how we don't really have free will as we are goverened by external circumstances and our genes/soul(whatever you believe governs our personality).

Advertisement