Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What server everyone play at?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

everyone up for a bash tonight, around 9, on freddys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, definately madrab. Im working until about 6, then bf2 all the way....

I've been improving, so now, if you know what I mean, I'm like a good noob rather then a crap one...... :D

I never use the squad system though,can anyone explain exactly how it works? I'm assuming that it means just that - a squad banded together that move together in some kind of formation - but what happens if you die? Are you supposed go around the map looking for squad? etc... :confused:

I was commander of US forces yesterday, took me ages to do anything remotely useful....

Team : What are you orders sir?
    Me: I read you
    Team: What are your orders sir?
    Me: Artillery strike is available
    Team: What are you orders sir?
    Me: I read you
    Team: What are you orders sir?
    Me: (big pause) I read you

I got used to it though, and my score at the end was decent enough....

....don't plan on being commander anytime soon again though :o

God, I'm addicted to Bf2.

btw - wierd problem. No matter WHAT I bind it to, I can't crouch? :confused: I have to go prone anytime I need cover. Kinda annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Dcully wrote:
    The BTC server is by far the best around,lots of squads with proper teamplaying.
    Always very well adminned too with no BS going on unlike some clan servers where clan members teamkill you if you get to chopper before them etc.
    I dont have ip off hand but BTC Jonski is a member here on boards.
    Cant reccomend this server enough.

Thanks for the vote of confidence there Cully :) . The GFF welcome to the server from me was a arty strike right on top of their heads :) , unfortunately they were on my team :( .

It's a multiplay : IP : 85.236.100.7:30264 .

We have a lot of good mates in other clans so you would/should have seen a good few tags on which in turn keeps the squad thing going , GooN's/]DowN[(from the server providers)/EVO and hopefully now GFF are regulars . Also we are a fairly big clan with guys on all different shift so there is nearly always an admin on or around #badtaste on gamsurge , plus most of the lads are in their 20's and 30's so no kiddie reactions ( hopefully ) . The only thing ye might notice missing is Voip , it's "on" on the server but we all use TS .

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the way a squad works is this

on voice com the commander can talk to squad leaders.
    squad members can talk to each other.

The squad leader acts as a spawn point while you hold a flag, for balancing issues when you have no flags you cant spawn on your squad leader.

your squad are highlighted green on the map and their names appear green.

the squad leader can call down support from the commander, squad members from the squad leader.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah voip is working but we use TS also but its handy when we not on same team/squad.
    As ya know GFF are a fun clan for BF2 and CODUO and we certainly had fun lastnight m8,ill get more of our 45 members to join soon :)
    We have our own servers but BF2 one is unranked and always pretty empty,sometimes we might have 10 or 12 GFF on it but not enough for a 32 man server so what better place for us to go for a game than BTC

• Advertisement

jaggeh wrote:
    the way a squad works is this

on voice com the commander can talk to squad leaders.
    squad members can talk to each other.

The squad leader acts as a spawn point while you hold a flag, for balancing issues when you have no flags you cant spawn on your squad leader.

your squad are highlighted green on the map and their names appear green.

the squad leader can call down support from the commander, squad members from the squad leader.

Great, thanks for that explanation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

will try to get on tonight if I can. my tag is 'thatbigfella'.

don't ask! might see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i'm a noob. wtf is freddys?

Normally play on the tig server, get pings between 30-60. tag is scruffin

Freddys is a server, there are two of them running as far as I know.

64 man. Great pings.

I'll be on TiG for a banter in about an hour, then perhaps freddys from about 8-11...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

and whats the ip address?

might try and get an hour or two playing tonight around 9ish

/aside
    me thinks that thread with everyone's tag name should be made a sticky.

• Advertisement

Scruff wrote:
    and whats the ip address?

might try and get an hour or two playing tonight around 9ish

/aside
    me thinks that thread with everyone's tag name should be made a sticky.

I was thinking that exact same thing. No idea what the ip address is but its always very easy find it with the in-game browser.

See you there, ninish. ;)

Just to re-cap, my name is IRL-HavoK

didn't get on till late last night, and ended up in an almost empty server practicing my chopper skills with one or two other n00bs. twas quite fun actually, not having the pressure of getting killed every 5 seconds and not knowing who did it, or where from!

managed to fly both a gunship and a transport through the gap in the dam, in that level with a dam in it. can't remember the name. maybe it was 'the bus that couldn't slow down'. ;)

ive done the airplane down the tube, both directions. i want to try inverted plane throught the tube next.

other notable stunts
    Belly to belly head on roll between j-10 and f-18
    dropped 5 glide bombs from a vertical dive to land on a blackhawk
    through the legs of the low crane on dalian
    parking your chopper inside the aircraft carrier, to repair and reload it out of sight.
    HALO jumps
    HANO jump to land on somebody (instant kill)

jaggeh wrote:
    ive done the airplane down the tube, both directions. i want to try inverted plane throught the tube next.

other notable stunts
    Belly to belly head on roll between j-10 and f-18
    dropped 5 glide bombs from a vertical dive to land on a blackhawk
    through the legs of the low crane on dalian
    parking your chopper inside the aircraft carrier, to repair and reload it out of sight.
    HALO jumps
    HANO jump to land on somebody (instant kill)
    i think i need a joystick!

what's a halo/hano jump? (sorry, n00b!)

halo - high altitude low open. bail out at a very high high high altitude, and wait till you are a few feet from the ground to open your chute.
    hano - high altitude none open. if you manage to land on someone you WILL kill them.

Last night I saw madrab on TiG server, also someone here who goes by the name r22beta or similar.....good fun.

Question again, who do the stats work? I don't have a BF manual,and have only been playing a small while, do you have to set up a seperate stats account, or does it automatically accumulate points etc once you have a registered account?

And speaking of parachuting the gayest thing happened me TWICE on the dam level. I jumped out of a chopper over the top of the dam itself, landed on the very edge, my parachute disappeared, and my momentum carried me over the edge to my death. Was worth it though, merely for the sheer sense of bravado as I glided across the sky riddling tanks, buggys and troops below with my ak. Didn't actually kill anyone in these escapades though but...eh....it was still cool :p

Actually landing on somebody and killing them from a drop must be quite an acheivement.....

TiG server was packed, its gone back to a 64man server? Was lag-free in any case...nice ping of 45

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Yea, the server was empty as a 32 player. Seems everyone likes the big maps.

We'll be deciding on a maplist soon, dropping some of the slower/crappy ones.

There's also the 16 player ranked server, if the 64 is full, join that and you'll get a decent inf game, ppl will generally see you waiting and join, it's where most of the TiG ground pounders play.

Click for Server Info

icon_salute.gif

yeah a good game last night, especially on one level where all our teams hopes were resting on r22beta's(-AL-?) shoulder's as our last lonely sniper against the entire us team, unfortunately it didnt work out too well :D

yeah kubra dam didnt work out too well for me either, but i have never been a big fan of that level (i think its a cool huge level but maybe a bit too big for 64 ppl + im crap at that level ;) )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

madrab wrote:
    yeah a good game last night, especially on one level where all our teams hopes were resting on r22beta's(-AL-?) shoulder's as our last lonely sniper against the entire us team, unfortunately it didnt work out too well :D

yeah kubra dam didnt work out too well for me either, but i have never been a big fan of that level (i think its a cool huge level but maybe a bit too big for 64 ppl + im crap at that level ;) )

I truly despise Kubra Dam, glad to know I'm not the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Spear wrote:

Hate that level! seems most people do....any server I am on and the map comes on everyone is asking to change it!!! its just a disaster unless you are in chopper!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭EL WOG

what i have started to do is join mostly 32 player servers that are using a 64 player maps, the ticket count is high so that the rounds last longer, which helps with getting some ribbins and badges that require 25/40min in squad and stuff, also there are plenty of vehicles around to hop into, and most of the time, one or two good placed defenders at a flag can make it very hard to take because everyone is so spread across the map.

Spear wrote:

I really like that level....it gets boring elsewhere, but the respawn points surrounding the actual dam itself and outlying buildings can be great for battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

I just got banned from TIG 64 for team killing :confused: whats weird is, I was in a plane, couldnt really see the enemy plane, but got a lock and fired a missile, and got a team damage, so I then obviosuly knew it was a friendly, so I broke off, and he must have bailed out and not opened his chute, and then blamed me for it or something??

Anyway, didnt think I TKd any one else that round, do the bans last long or are they forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

The tk ban usually only lasts for one round of the map you tked on .

I played a horrible game last night. In the first round, I got about 14 kills to 9 deaths, but from then on, I kept getting blown away mainly by planes, heli's and artillery - at one stage I had 1 kill to 5 deaths :o

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

jonski wrote:
    The tk ban usually only lasts for one round of the map you tked on .

ah cool, cause I like the TIG servers. :D

you gotta love those random bans for no particular reason

I was kicked from the TiG server last night for having too high a ping, my ping was 35, but kept spiking to 330 every ten minutes :(

Didn't bother going back as it takes too long get into the game.

Btw, how long does starting up BF2 take for everyone else? For me, it takes literally several minutes just to connect to the account server, about 40 seconds to load a map, then about another 2 minutes to verify client data? So annoying. Also, my Bf2 for about 2 minutes after a game start is totally unplayabe, stuff stuttering all over the shop. Eventually it gradually irons itself out....makes no difference whether I run the game at 800x600 or 1280x768, stays the same at the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Btw, how long does starting up BF2 take for everyone else? For me, it takes literally several minutes just to connect to the account server, about 40 seconds to load a map, then about another 2 minutes to verify client data? So annoying. Also, my Bf2 for about 2 minutes after a game start is totally unplayabe, stuff stuttering all over the shop. Eventually it gradually irons itself out....makes no difference whether I run the game at 800x600 or 1280x768, stays the same at the start

Should start a new thread but defrag HD do a full disk check. Takes about 1 minute from time i click "join" in ASE to actual playiing, sometimes more as i forget to click login whilst making me tea.

kdjac

• Advertisement

start by turning off the videos, delete them from the video folder..... thats 350mb less that needs to be loaded at startup.

having buckets of ram also helps...

Advertisement