Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Square

Options
  • 11-09-2005 5:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Away since june. Whats the story with the square now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Away since june. Whats the story with the square now?

Still Fu*ked

• Registered Users Posts: 42 matressking

i was afraid of that. sound, couldnt get the advertiser cam workin.
    also its half five in the mornin, go to bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Don't ask. I've blocked it out. I'm even sick of bitching about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Have they found a contractor to finish the place yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

They did......

But then he realised how fcuked the square is, and pulled out!

There are several small contractors doing a little work at the moment, but no one who wants the whole job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

How did they make such a ****ing state of it! It's just digging a garden and paving a little part of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

mikegannon wrote:
    Still Fu*ked

thats about all that can be said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

something has to be done....its a disgrace...oh the typical irishness of it!!!! come on galway city council pay someone to complete it!!!! the bad name it's giving the city..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

tis a fookin mess alright.even the new pavin stones are desperate,people slippin all sides.all the city council seem to be doin is arguing between themselves :rolleyes: :rolleyes: pure irish alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I remember reading about the first contractor pulling out. There were no real reasons given in the article. But the thing that interested me most was a quote from one of the councillors saying they "weren't interested in what went wrong". In other words, "We messed up royally, but don't have the guts to admit it."

This is why they made the same bloody mistakes the next time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

Has anyone noticed that the new paving, especially at crossing points where it has metal studs in it is rrrreeeeeeaaaaaaalllllly slippy when it rains (which in Galway is, oh all the time) I'd have thought they'd have copped how dangerous it is by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Slippiness is proportional to the clean-look of the place with the new coating they have/are going to put on the paving.
    Obviously aesthetics won out over public safety.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ruadan wrote:
    Has anyone noticed that the new paving, especially at crossing points where it has metal studs in it is rrrreeeeeeaaaaaaalllllly slippy when it rains (which in Galway is, oh all the time) I'd have thought they'd have copped how dangerous it is by now.
    Personally, I think all those "raised path to denote a crossing" things are lethal but try arguing with the blind and you're some form of monster...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

SyxPak wrote:
    Slippiness is proportional to the clean-look of the place with the new coating they have/are going to put on the paving.
    Obviously aesthetics won out over public safety.
    have you seen what its like down by fibbers? its cut to hell and filthy, and its only down a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I was walking like a fool all last week in Galway, didn't realise I'd no grips left on my runners and didn't bring a change of shoes with me. Any time it rained I was convinced I'd wake up in A&E with nurses laughing at me.
    Bet it looked good on 1:32000 scale model though. The muppet who designed a european style plaza for a city that is noted for it's rain should be tarred and feathered.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We should all go down to the square to "slip" and sue the arse of the council.
    Maybe it could be used as a massive creche while the parents are in the Skeff drinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭anothervictim

I can't believe how many people are still going on about the square. It IS finished! Nobody gets it though. The guy who designed it, intended it to look that way - some artistic statement about 4 dimensional symmetry or something like that. Also, i think the pavements were intended to be slippery as a metophor of how we should all slow down in our lives and stop rushing around. The cage-like fence surrounding the inner mounds of dirt and weeds is not a new home for the winos but a representation of the rememberence of our past, our roots. The constr company never pulled out, they finished the job and didnt get paid cause the council thought It wasnt finished. I suppose they should really have looked at the preposed plan before they agreed to pay money for it but what do you expect...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Thats almost plausable.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Here is what I heard.

My father was chatting to one of the main guys for a major galway construction company that were second in line for the Eyre Square contract. Now this company is extremley famous around Ireland and some parts of the UK and have done some really impressive work for the council in the past.

Now this guy said that there was no way that the contractor awarded the job could do it for the price he quoted. It was just way under budget.

So the council instead of going with a reliable slightly more expense contract went with a relatively unknown contractor. And what happened he ran out of money. And now the company that were second in line are now renegotiating a new contract for the project and will probably charge a small fortune for it and who can blame them.

Galway before this whole fiasco had become a city to be extremley proud of but at the moment it is turning into an absolute dump with the way eyre square is gone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

New contractor has taken up the job i read in the galway independent over breakfast.
    part of the square could be open by christas apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I'll believe it when i see it mate!

Honestly, this is Galway, (ie; a fcuking joke, when it comes to construction deadlines!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭anothervictim

Im not so sure that the originally contracted company were exactly "unknown", since they did the square in waterford and cork, and they turned out fine. But its quite possible that they agreed to do the job for a lower price than the others since its believed that they were not doing so good financially. And as a result of them going completely broke, and not getting any payments in advance they could no longer work. It could be said, in this case, that if the council did pay some of the fees upfront, the square might be finished by now.

I doubt the square will be completely finished by christmas. It might nearly be but definitely not open to the public since they'll have to wait for the grass to properly grow back in some parts. Although thats not too well informed since its quite hard to see what it really looks like in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I doubt the square will be completely finished by christmas. It might nearly be but definitely not open to the public since they'll have to wait for the grass to properly grow back in some parts. Although thats not too well informed since its quite hard to see what it really looks like in there.

You have a point with the grass, here's hoping they don't plant some quick-growing hayseed bollocks.
    As for the construction itself, I've been saying this since they started: get a few shifts going, erect arc-lighting, 5am - 9pm. It'll be done twice as fast, if not faster (allowing for cement to dry etc.).

Advertisement