Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising Idea

Options
  • 11-09-2005 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Ok, heres my two cents!!!

Create a law, that says that companies couldn't advertise a thing as being cheap ... unless its at the cheapest price you can get that product within the EU!!!

These ads are recking my head, like when a company says 'get this ... for only €25'

And then you go to Germany and the standard price for that item is €15 ... the top of the market would be like €25!

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ok, heres my two cents!!!

Create a law, that says that companies couldn't advertise a thing as being cheap ... unless its at the cheapest price you can get that product within the EU!!!

These ads are recking my head, like when a company says 'get this ... for only €25'

And then you go to Germany and the standard price for that item is €15 ... the top of the market would be like €25!

:D

Nice idea in theory, but I can see the following problems:

1) If you are not comparing the same brand, how do you know it is the same product? - e.g. a bottle of Coca Cola can be compared within member states as it is exactly the same product, but a bottle of generic cola is harder to compare. This gets harder as you try to compare products like furniture which are far harder to compare.

2) Ireland has higher overheads for retailers - you may get something cheaper in Spain, but that is because it is far cheaper for the shop to operate. This is the same even at a regional level in Ireland. A cheap pint in Dublin may be less than Eur4, but this may not be a cheap pint elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I know... i was just in a talking mood on the day! But it would deffo show that the gov has a large part to play!
    Well they never advertise furniture as being the cheap ... well they do but it can be easy just to say thats not allowed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Or on the other hand, you could think about educating consumers not to make decisions based on adverts.

Advertisement