Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J.C. Results!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Ah Junior Cert. Nah, it doesn't make any difference and such. And yes, I am a cynical A.

TY GLENDALOUGH BONDAGE TRIPS RULE! Seriously. Better than sex. Despite copius amounts of sex therein...

What would St. Kevin say?

Everyone in our school got off at half twelve. It also happened to be the same day that the ESB cut the power to the town to do 'essential maintenance'. God, that was a long day.

A fourth year in my school went up to Cork to the City Hall disco to celebrate, and got his phone stolen.

That sounded relevant in my head. What did people do to celebrate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

Outcast wrote:
    I'm working on an article about Junior Cert. results celebrations. What did you all do? And the million dollar question: Did you get locked? I'm obviously not using names or direct refs or anything, just trying to get an idea
    :confused: Wtf does "locked" mean? Weird Southern slang...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Under the influence of alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

I passed my junior cert... once.

We got maths homework on the day of the results, and some scumbag in my class was heard to remark "NYA! Let's get pissed and do the maths!"

Found it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Un-Big

5 A's (Geography, Science, German, Business, CSPE)
    5 B's (Maths, English, Home Ec, History, Irish (Ord.))
    So yes; Woo! And well done to everyone else! :D

• Advertisement

:D Would you like a cyber-hug, handshake or high-5? Or you could join my in Dublin tomorrow for a real one! (See my reunion thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Yes Raph, yes I did! And you are not the first to say that either...

I'll take it as a compliment. As for the apostrophising or otherwise of single letters, for pure clarity, "A's" looks better then "As", which is a word in its own right.

And yes, this is being pretty pedantic, especially after the JC!!! :D

I might get the CSPE rechecked, but it does sound so petty when you say it...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

i wanted to get my History checked but the eejit secretary said you can't appeal your JC

Yeah you can, closing date the 30th Sept. The school have to sign off on the appeal though, and it costs €35. Which they refund if you get upgraded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Waste of time. Concentrate on getting on with your life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

the secretary is just a b*tch (not surprising considering she has to deal with people in my school) but i dont see why she told me that it cant be appealed.

This "life" of yours intrigues me... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

Oh whoops missed this wagon by about 2 days, but still, I gots 9 A's:
    Maths, Eng :confused: , Hist, B.Std, Tech Graph, Art, French, Science and CSPE (must have been the luvly drawing I did.)

..and a C in Irish...not really surprised about this but *makes a remark on how bad/decprebed/dead the teacher was or how they ended up writing about chinchilas in the exam, but neither of which are quite true.*

But I'm very very happy, and quite surprised. And now I don't need to start thinking again for another two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Undergod wrote:
    And cool never takes a correcting other people's grammar.
    *sigh*
    I was responding to carlowboy saying he was a pedant.
    As am I. And I restrain myself.

However from what I have gathered in whatever grammar-researching exploits I've done; the apostrophe is only necessary in pluralising a lowercase single letter. So things such as A and B would not need an apostrophe to indicate plural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I wrote 'their' instead of 'there' in an English essay today. Needless to say, I flogged myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

Piste wrote:
    I wrote 'their' instead of 'there' in an English essay today. Needless to say, I flogged myself.
    In first year my English teacher threatened to throw classroom furniture at us if we did that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

my last english teacher had most of the class thinking that melancholy was a disease,
    my current one is rumoured to have been at woodstock.
    needless to say i prefer my current one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mentonaintamint

I had a substitute english teacher once..... pretty dopey. While she praised the originality of thestudent writing a poem on the blackboard(he was copying it from the whiteboard at the other end of the room) the rest of the class was engaged in a snowball fight behind her back...... She didn't even notice when one landed on her desk :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

However from what I have gathered in whatever grammar-researching exploits I've done; the apostrophe is only necessary in pluralising a lowercase single letter. So things such as A and B would not need an apostrophe to indicate plural.

But they are optional. They jar with me though. And I'm seriously considering taking tippex to the signs in the Youth Centre where I do PE at the mo.
    PLEASE USE BIN'S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Ouch. I hate that stuff. I still can't figure out if the "Loo's" sign in the Dublin Hard Rock Café means that the toilets are owned by Lou Reed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My English teacher last year told the class that 'carnage' meant an accident involving cars. I found this hilarious.

My family went away one time without me, (this has a point I swear), and what they brought me back was a photograph of a van that said "Baked Potatoe's". Oh, was there shuddering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

The pain, the horrible pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Speaking of signs and/or syntax:

sign8is.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eef

ok I'm late
    9 As (math's, english, science, french, geography, history. home. ec (???? could have sworn i failed cookery...) art and cspe)
    1 B (irish)
    all higher, except cspe.
    i was delirious, figure i must have unconciously discovered a way of brainwashing examiners through my writing; i literally did not study for Geography/History since the mocks. No Arguments tho ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My family and I went to see Red Eye this evening. At one point someone says 'you did good.' We all shuddered and groaned simultaneously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

A sign in a Spanish hostel I was once in: "Please to not be throwing nothing for the bathroom room"...

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Yeah you can, closing date the 30th Sept. The school have to sign off on the appeal though, and it costs €35. Which they refund if you get upgraded...

It was 30 last year. Eddie Hobbs was right! And i didnt know they refunded the money.

Were any CTYIers one of the 5 11Aers?

Speaking of signs and/or syntax:

sign8is.jpg
    I was going to get someone to photograph me standing next to that sign! :D
    I think someone mentioned an amusing mis-translation. This one is a Japanese rent-a-car's guidelines on use of the horn: "If a passenger of foot obstacles your passage, tootle him melodiously. If he continues to obstacle your passage, tootle him with vigour." And just to bring this post on topic the person who wrote that got a C at ordinary level English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

ColHol wrote:
    I got an A in CSPE! (two years ago)

Me too... My only A. Got 5 Bs and 4 Cs aswell.

Leavin cert this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

was just about to say that, 'tis probably just some parrot who can regurgitate random facts on a page.

listen,WTF is ur problem?if your the talented youth of ireland,i'd hate to see the others.i was only posting here coz i was curious as to what ctyi was since its such a big deal on dis site and coz i was interested to see what evry1 else got in d J.C.sorry if you dont think im good enough for ur precious forum,.f*****r!! (no offence, :D )
    you wouldn't have
    ok if u were trying to insult me,that was pathetic...surely u cudda come up with something better..
    There's a sticky at the top of the forum called "What is CTYI"

thanx....i missed that....
    she may be, but that's one seriously snobby statement there. Oozing arrogance.

square_igloo is a HE,actuaLly..........
    and since im not in CTYi and ive been practically torn apart for asking a question,i supose il leave it here....so long...

Advertisement