Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Arts Limerick

• 11-09-2005 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

was wondering if anyone did kung fu in limerick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Sunn wrote:
    was wondering if anyone did kung fu in limerick?

There's a Kung Fu/Kickboxing club pops up when you Google Limerick Kung Fu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

coolio, thanks man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

There are a number of MA clubs in UL, not sure if they do Kung Fu, but its worth checking out... Probably find a list of clubs and socs on the UL website... plus one of the lads from UL posts here, so maybe he can enlighten ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Ger Healy

I've been in around the UL a few time have'nt seen anyone training kung fu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

There's no KungFu in UL but there is a host of other martial arts clubs, check out ULSU , I'd presonally recommend either kickboxing (which includes sub wrestling and MMA), TKD or judo out of what's available. We're also hoping to have one evening in the week where all clubs can come together and train together in all ranges. We've been doing this over the summer and I think it's worked very well. PM me if you'd like more details.

• Advertisement

TJ Davitt is the coach of the Judo club.

Ya we've been doing it over the summer, KB, TKD and judo coming together. As far as I'm concerned it's worked very well and the others think so too AFAIK. The Aikido club were training over the summer as well but they preferred to work by themselves.
    Who coaches? Well different people at different times depending on what we are doing. I'm friends with the people from the other clubs so at this stage I wouldn't even think in terms of different clubs as we're all interesting in the same things (broadly speaking) and we work together.

Cool what Tim said ;)

Tim, just curious, but are you a lecturer/member of staff at UL, or just simply training Kickboxing there??

memphis wrote:
    Tim, just curious, but are you a lecturer/member of staff at UL, or just simply training Kickboxing there??

Tim a lecturer hahahaha

His just some guy who walk in of the mean street ok Kerry and said "I can do that" :D:D

Hi Memphis, I'm a postgrad there. We set up the KB club when I was a third year there.
    His just some guy who walk in of the mean street ok Kerry and said "I can do that"
    rural Kerry Ger so that should probably read "mean fields"!! :D

• Advertisement

Would love to have someone set up some sort of MA/Self defense club in my college. We actually have none. I think they tried last year but there was objections or something from one of the club in the town, sayin it'd take from there numbers or sommmat like that... Probably a lack of interest too with it being such a small college!!

Must get onto the Student Union President and see if he can come up with someone willing to train us, obviously I couldn't do it as I'm no BB..... yet!!!

What college is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Tim_Murphy wrote:
    TJ Davitt is the coach of the Judo club.

Ya we've been doing it over the summer, KB, TKD and judo coming together. As far as I'm concerned it's worked very well and the others think so too AFAIK. The Aikido club were training over the summer as well but they preferred to work by themselves.
    Who coaches? Well different people at different times depending on what we are doing. I'm friends with the people from the other clubs so at this stage I wouldn't even think in terms of different clubs as we're all interesting in the same things (broadly speaking) and we work together.

Thats cool Tim!!

Good on ye ;)

Ger Healy wrote:
    What college is that?
    I'm a student in Tipperay Institute. Its devided into two campuses, one in Clonmel and the main campus in Thurles... This in itself tends to be a problem when it come to clubs.

Plus as the college is relatively new (opened in 1999) numbers are small so interest in such clubs and societies is at a minimum.

Anyway, still haven't spkon to SU president... must make note to do it. I was considering asking my own instructor, or suggesting that students join our club, but then it would not be considered as a college club. And I'm not sure the college wold provide transport to this club being outside the college!!

Which of the campuses has the biggest number?

Ger Healy wrote:
    Which of the campuses has the biggest number?
    Thurles, being the main campus would obviously have the bigger number of students. I'm studying in the Clonmel campus at moment!!

When the college sets up a club or soc they try to involve the two campuses (this is where transport comes in). If someone can set up a club and the college can throughly call it its own, they will fund it, and provide transport to and from both campuses to the training location (no hall on campus so a hall in either town would have to be used... again problems!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Brian Moloney

Hi my name is Brian Moloney,
    I teach Shaolin Kung Fu in Mag Mell Studio, 66 O Connell St, Limerick city.
    I have trained in Shaolin Chang Chuan Longfist for over twenty five years. I also trained in Shaolin Ngor Chor, Wu Chi and Chinese Weapons under Master Kim Sen Han Sifu NW London and Peter Dillon and Bob Bannon in the UCD Dublin.

I am interested in trying to contact previous students of the Limerick based Shaolin Chang Chuan Kung Fu /Wu Shu and Combat Karate clubs to see about organising a meet up to catch up and swop stories.

This style has been taught in Limerick for over thirty years. Blackbelt Bill Frieghery trained under Joe Holmes brought it over from England. P.J. Bennis, Sean O Reagan, Randolph Turbot and myself amongst many others taught it.

If you know of any of them or their students, or are a martial arts enthusiast in the Limerick area and would like to meet up to talk about martial arts give me a call me on 089 43 63 989

Advertisement