Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Network cable unplugged' when accessing shares

Options
  • 11-09-2005 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

I setup an old machine for an intern starting next week -- wiped it installed windows xp etc.

But there seems to be some issues accessing the network -- I keep getting 'network cable unplugged' message appearing and then disappearing every 2-3 mins.

This only happens when I'm browsing any of the fileshares, but when I close any programs using any of the fileshares then and just use the internet it works fine... with no errors...

This is really annoying me, I've changed the network cable to 2 different ones that are working fine on other machines... I'm thinking it's the NIC but it was working fine before I wiped it...

Any help would be appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

did you try to re-seat the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

The NIC is built into the motherboard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Could be some freaky TCP-IP problem. Had simliar issue myself, I just uninstalled and reinstalled all the protocols for the NIC and that seemed to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Confirm that both machines are fixed at 100MBps Full duplex.
    Other than that I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try them in the AM, if I don't have any luck I'll see if I can find a spare NIC floating around the office...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Maybe turn off autosensing speed/duplex - set them manually.

Advertisement