Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shoutcast stream

Options
  • 11-09-2005 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Greetings

I have a person wanting to stream a shoutcast server 24/7 from a dedicated box in the US, from a website with an .ie address. The customer is based in Ireland however his dedicated box will be in the united states.

Does he still need some form of license from the IMRO because he is Irish? Or is there any other type of license he should be seeking?

If he was living in the US would it make a difference?

Help much appreciated.

thxs

Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I'm sure IMRO would say he does.

I honestly don't know how anyone other than a lawyer can answer this one though Tom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

he would technically be broadcasting from the states so they'd more than likely have to go through the us system, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they've agreements in place with the US that can streamline the process of getting that server cut off.

at the end of the day even if your not playing irish artists IMRO or ASCAP (wouldnt be far off being IMRO's US counterparts) would end up looking for money but one way or the other the way the licensing fee works means that either IMRO or ASCAP and ultimately the artist you play will end up with the cash anyway.

IMO IMRO or ASCAP wont bother with them shoutcast only lets something like 30 people stream at the same time and that coupled with the fact that you could just move servers leads me to think they'd not go near him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Thanks for the feedback on this one guys.

Advertisement