Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Needful things, any good?

• 11-09-2005 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

On Sci fi @10pm.

In a move watching mood but not much else on.

Stephen King :rolleyes: movie never read book and most his movies are ****, this any different?

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Don't bother with it, it's a fairly poor film.

I find Stephen King's stuff only works when a very good director gets his hands on it, such as Kubrick, Cronenburg, Singer, Reiner, De Palma, Darabont. Needfull Things certainly doesn't count as one of the good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ah well, lucky Return of the Killer Tomatoes just started on Horror channel, i do believe this is the 1st time i ever watched a movie on this channel.

Great movie, so crappy its good :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

'Needful Things' is the only steven king book I ever read that I didnt enjoy. Out of curiousity I did watch watch the first 30 mins or so of this film (months ago) and it was equally shoddy.

99% of those films on at 10pm on sci fi are horrendous. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

KdjaC wrote:

Stephen King :rolleyes: movie never read book and most his movies are ****,

In fairness, none of the screen adaptations of his books were his movies, as he has only ever directed one of them to my knowledge
    (Maximum Overdrive, not great compared to the likes of the Shawkshank but had a few entertaining moments that were scary as a child and funny to watch now).

And I agree with your list of directors who have got it right with one of his stories, Karl Hungus, with the exception of Singer's Apt Pupil, I thought it was quite dull in parts.
    And I’d add David Koepp's Secret Window to the list, it was always one of my fav King short stories, as well as Depp being my fav actor, so it was always going to be a winner for me.

As a big King fan (I’ve never disliked any of his books and I think I’ve read all of them at this stage), I’ve always been disappointed with the way the majority of his stories being turned into low budget TV movies (although some, like IT, were fun to watch).
    But I think the supernatural content of most of his novels need a decent budget to achieve the right special effects, plus good actors playing the lead roles because I think his lead characters are usually quite strong and would come off well on screen with some one playing them.

But I agree the Needful Things the movie is poor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

D-FENS wrote:
    And I agree with your list of directors who have got it right with one of his stories, Karl Hungus, with the exception of Singer's Apt Pupil, I thought it was quite dull in parts.

Well it's been a while since I've seen it, but I do remember being quite utterly gripped by the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I actually quite liked Needful Things. I haven't read to book yet (I've to get through Rose Madder first), but I thought it was enjoyable. I've always liked Ming The Merci... er... I mean Max Von Sydow, and Ed Harris is a pretty good actor too. If there was nothing else on, it's not a bad way to spend an evening. (although Revenge Of The Killer Tomatoes was hilarious! I can only hope Clooney will go back to his roots and make it a trilogy!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Well it's been a while since I've seen it, but I do remember being quite utterly gripped by the film.
    Don't get me wrong, it certainly was'nt awful, and the story was gripping, but i'd put that down to King more than Singer.
    I just thought it moved by a little bit slow in parts (King's original story was a novella, little more than a couple of hundred pages if i remember correctly).
    Plus i always pictured Dussander as more menacing and creepy than McKellen played him.I almost felt sory for him in the movie, i never did reading the book.

Advertisement