Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worried re switch from ISDN to broadband...

• 11-09-2005 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Currently on Eircom ISDN for about 2-3 years
    Broadband now available on my line (according to on-line test that was previously a fail, for no good reason btw (or at least none forthcoming despite many calls!))
    Anyway would sooner burn the money than give it to eircom, so planning to go with Esat BT
    Problem is that Eircom advocate an engineer install given the ISDN line (No reason why...just the way its done), but the guy on phone from Esat says that a recent ISDN line (<5yrs) is likely 'plug-n-play' not a 'hardline' and install can all be done at source with, curiously, a one week gap between disconnect of ISDN service and onset of broadband

Anyone any experience of such a changeover, or any idea if they're both talking nonsense?

Thanks

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I'd be suspucious about that, i'd say its best to cancel the actual ISDN line, have someone come out and remove the termination box and fit it with a normal socket. Then go ahead and order broadband.

Although I never did a direct switch from ISDN to Broadband. So I can't be too sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

If you cancel your ISDN line with eircom. They have to downgrade it to a PSTN line for ADSL to work. They’ll charge like €50 or maybe nothing now for disconnect and then €150 to reconnect your line as a older PSTN line. For ADSL to work.

Ask if Esat BT or Smart telecom would convert your ISDN over to ADSL if you switch to their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm in the middle of doing this.....

i got eircom to downgrade my isdn line to a pstn line and take away the plug and play box and leave a normal phone socket

it cost €24.99 and took about a week for an engineer to come out and do the work (took about an hour).

i ordered broadband straight off BT after the eircom guy left and had no problems so far i'm waiting on my modem to be sent out.

plug and play is the name of the box eircom use it isn't a type of line, the esat guy hasn't a clue what he's talking about.

if your main phone number eg mine was xxxxx10 (second isdn one was xxxxx11) can pass the eircom line test then it's suitable for broadband on the bitstream network.
    that's any home based package from esat, eircom and utv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robplant

Is the Plug and Play box the beige flattish box about 10inches by 8, with outputs to ISDN modem and phone lines etc along its lower edge and a power line to a regular plug ?

(The above may sound incredibly stupid but given where the box is I can't actually see it without moving a relatively fixed desk and an awful lot on top of it!!)

It does sound like I'd be safer getting a real live human being out to my end of the line to make sure all does go well.

Presumably if you're without ISDN whilst awaiting broadband you can still resort to good old dial-up?

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

When Eircom disable the ISDN line there is nothing, afaik, that guarantees that they have to provide you with the same copper pair for your POTS. If there is a lot of demand in your area for phone lines they may be using pairgains and you'll need to ensure that you don't get switched over to a shared line as then you'll be unable to get BB.

If there are no pairgains in your area you should be ok......

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

That is true... and I know someone who's been burnt by that.

Unfortunately, the best thing, it seems, that you can do is either A) order BB from eircom, or B) ask that the operator attach a note specifying that it's for DSL. If you get to mee the engineer assigned to the job, ask him nicely & politely!

Yes, it is crazy that this is the situation. It's worse that you're encouraged to order eircom BB (not by them, just in general). It's very unlikely that an ISDN line is unsuitable for DSL after prequal passes, but it is possible that if you don't let them know the downgrade is for DSL, that you could get burnt.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

robplant wrote:
    Is the Plug and Play box the beige flattish box about 10inches by 8, with outputs to ISDN modem and phone lines etc along its lower edge and a power line to a regular plug ?

(The above may sound incredibly stupid but given where the box is I can't actually see it without moving a relatively fixed desk and an awful lot on top of it!!)

It does sound like I'd be safer getting a real live human being out to my end of the line to make sure all does go well.

Presumably if you're without ISDN whilst awaiting broadband you can still resort to good old dial-up?

Rob
    yes, the grey box that's 10x8 is the plug and play box, (i know it's 10x8 as i had to paint around it :))

when the engineer rang me on the morning of the install i asked him if it was possible to leave a phone socket there as i was upgrading to dsl he said sure no problem.

i can connect perfectly fine to dialup but i am often getting frustrated waiting for a meg file to download, oh the joy of it all.

Advertisement