Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Northern Ireland a lost cause?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cal29 wrote:
    The past is full of mistakes we are doomed to repeat if we dont learn from them and we have to look back to see what those mistakes were

I don't disagree but not one of your posts looks forward . All of them embrace the 20-20 vision of hindsight. What have you actually learned that can be usefully applied to the present and future?
    1969 was a terrible tragedy but this is 2005. It's a totally different world out there.

There is a quote about Irish history - can't remember who said it.
    "Irish people ere very good at remembering their history but not good at understanding it."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is_that_so wrote:
    I don't disagree but not one of your posts looks forward . All of them embrace the 20-20 vision of hindsight. What have you actually learned that can be usefully applied to the present and future?
    1969 was a terrible tragedy but this is 2005. It's a totally different world out there.

The unionists no longer have their own gerrymandered state where the British give them free rein and their own state militias like the RUC and the B Specials who variously turned a blind eye to the attacks on the nationalist ghettos in 1969 or else joined in . All they have now is a bunch of chavs who drink too much at orange marches and sulk loudly for days afterwards.

Is that so is wrong in one small way, the future is already to be seen in 20 20 hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

monument wrote:
    If you’re referring to our health service, on a personal level, thanks for the concern - but there’s no need as I’m currently under private health insurance.
    Me too but it doesn't matter a tinker's curse when you go into A&E for a broken arm-you join the queue like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just a few points after reading this very long thread....

1) Britain wants out of NI. It will have no problem continuing to fund it for a duration of time after any pullout.

2) I believe that the UK will actually cease to exist in the not-too-distant future. I have spoken to a lot of Scottish people who express disgust at their treatment within their cuurent political entity and I would not be in anyway surprised to see Scotland leave the UK. I would not be surprised then if Wales (with it's growing nationalist fervour and language revival) followed suit.

3) I think any British withdrawal from the north would be followed by a loyalist campaign, but I also think it would be followed by mass emigration among the unionist community.

4) As for the 'poor' police and British soldiers being attacked by Loyalists... :rolleyes: What goes around comes around. They helped foster these murderous gangs and now they complain because they've turned on them. A bit like the American establishment and Bin Laden. And the irony of the British army complaining about the loyalists when they are off murdering innocent civilians in Iraq (and everywhere else they have done in the past).

Advertisement