Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom no longer doing FWA?

Options
  • 11-09-2005 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Little dicky bird told me that eircom are refusing to do any more fwa installations. Got this from an intel dude who applied (paid for by intel) and was refused point blank. Apparently nobody in intel has been able to get fwa.

Any thoughts?

John

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

go back and read the licence , if they refuse flat out they lose it and the spectrum they squat. :)

has anyone though that Intel really are doing us a big favour by proving that Eircom are non compliant with their licence for a sizeable chunk of spectrum that is intended for Wimax for which....emmm ummm Intel of all people is investing scads of cash to develop a chipset a la Centrino and in order for Ireland to get the fab contract some test spectrum is needed....pronto .

ALL HAIL INTEL :) but make sure they complain at a very high level to Comreg too.

Eircoms biggest problem is that the Airspan 3.5Ghz gear they use apparently leaks .....a lot !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Well the person I got this from is well known to me, and afaik trustworthy.

But you never know

John

Worthless unless Intel read the licence (reissued late 2003) and complain like **** to Comreg and to Dialup himself about it, which of course they should

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Worthless unless Intel read the licence (reissued late 2003) and complain like **** to Comreg and to Dialup himself about it, which of course they should

I wonder if there is any reasonable endevour clauses in that too? :rolleyes:

reissued early 2003 , its doc 03/18 actually . There is a doc on 3.5Ghz spectrum generally at the very end of 2002 on the site. Eircom are obliged since the commencement date , June 2001, to offer the following services in 3.5Ghz areas, note the word "REQUIRED" .
    Part I: Required Services
    1 The following services are deemed to be Required Services for the purposes of Condition
    28.1 and shall be provided by the Licensee within two months of the Designated
    Commencement Date unless otherwise indicated:
    • Voice -All the same services as in the wired access network including:
    • PSTN:
    Customer lines, Domestic PSTN, IDD
    • Call Management Services:
    Call waiting, call diversion, three way calling, alarm/reminder calls, call
    answering/voicemail, caller display, caller ID restriction, call completion.
    • Number Translation Services:
    Freephone 1800, Callsave 1850, LoCall 1890, International freephone,
    Information services 1530 - 1580,
    • Operator Services:
    Operator assistance, directory enquiries, emergency services, special directory
    services.
    • Data:
    • ISDN Basic Rate
    • Leased Lines (64 kbps, 128kbps from launch, and asymmetric 384 kbps within 11
    months from the Designated Commencement Date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I know a client of mine who ordered this a couple of weeks ago but was told there would be a (unspecified) delay before installation because they are upgrading the system and not doing any installs untill the upgrade is finished - typical eircom turn customers away until they finished messing about.
    thi9s client already has on fwa connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I know of one install that Eircom have done of their FWA kit in the past few weeks here in Wicklow. So they don't seem to be completly closing off this option.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cpark100

There are a good number of FWA connections in place around Tuam, Co.Galway. They have been trialing a service for the last six (?) months - and the service is free at the moment. AFAIR, a monthly sub kicks in next month - or at least that was the plan. Can't remember exactly what the monthly sub was but its not the extortionate rate they used to advertise on their site (last time I checked they had taken down all details of a FWA service - not sure if this is still the case and have no motivation to go trawling thru that dreadful site right now to find out) - and there was no connection fee.

I did come across an eircom crew doing one of these installs during the summer and one of em seemed to think that eircom was gearing up for more wireless installs and were doing some internal training courses to get some of their people up to speed on this.

Will they ever be forced to make public where they can do FWA?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

FWA is still on the site. I don't think I can do direct links to pages on the eircom site though.

Go to www.eircom.ie
    On the bar down the left, click "Our Products & Services"
    Click "eircom broadband @ home"
    Click "eircom broadband satellite and fixed wireless access"

€732 connection
    €54 rental per month
    512 down/64 up
    unlimited download allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

cpark100 wrote:
    Will they ever be forced to make public where they can do FWA?

A FOI request for a coverage map was denied on the basis that it is a state secret.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

A FOI request for a coverage map was denied on the basis that it is a state secret.

Hahaha!!!

Dirty b@stards just dont want to admit they are doing nothing with the allocated spectrum!!!
    If they cant find a viable way of using it why should anyone else!!!

Advertisement