Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a new foundation!!!

• 11-09-2005 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm looking for a new foundation...basically I have an oily t-zone so foundation there lasts maybe two hours and it's slid off!

I've tried Rimmel, bourgeois, max factor, Ruby&Milly, but with not much joy.

I've heard MAC foundation goes on and stays on, can anyone recommend it or anything else?

Really would like to be able to put make up on in the morning and not worry about it the rest of the day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 little_green_fa

k, so the best thing to do is to get a mattifying base first (i recommend, 'dr feelgood' from benefit, it's like 30euro but lasts for ages and works well for people with oily skin)

after that i would maybe try clinique, good colour selection, the bottles last for ages and most of the foundations give just the right coverage :)

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

clairns do a great range....the M.A.C is meant to be fabulous a friend of mine has it...I just wear Nivea tinted moisutiser which is brilliant and it feels lovely on. If you are going to buy a foundation i suggest you buy a foundation brush they are great, much better than sponges! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Maybe U could try boots intelligent colour foundation? It only comes in 3 shades- makes it alot easier to pick. The coverage isn't great but it doesnt make your skin go oily as its non-poreblocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Foundations seem to work totally differently on different people. I find higher end brands seem to work better on my skin although Dream Matte by Maybelline has been fantastic. It's a sort of mousse so it's quite thick. I find that with a bit of powder over the top of it it'll stay on for the whole day. The most I'll have to do is top up my powder during the day. I have combination skin so I just put Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream on my forehead to stop it from drying out and lots of powder on my nose to stop it from being shiny.

Using a good powder will definitely help with oiliness. It may not prevent it but it will probably help the foundation stay in place, which means you'll look less shiny and you'll have your foundation stay on a bit better.

I'd recommend just going into BTs a few days in a row and explaining at all the beauty counters what you're looking for in a foundation. They'll probably offer to put some on you. This'll help you as you'll be able to see the results for yourself and be able to judge which suits you the best. Also those sample packets in magazines? I always try them on even if the shade doesn't match my skin. I just like trying them on to see the texture and how well it goes on my skin which is how I found Dream Matte and after I've tried it I can go to the shop and find a suitable shade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Okay, first of all. What cleansers and moisturisers are you using?? These are gonna help prep the skin and help the foundation go on smoother and help it stay on longer.

I know MAC has an oil control gel which help control the sebum/oil on your skin. You can just apply it to your oily areas i.e your Tzone.

Or I know Smashbox have this matifying lotion (although its more like paste) that you can put on before your foundation. But I find its too heavy and the less gunk you put on your face the better (to alow the skin breathe etc).

Foundation wise..well its just a case of trying them out. What type of texture do you like? Liquid? A cream compact? A powder foundation? Medium/Full coverage?? Just go into the stores and ask for samples or that you would like to try some on. There's nothing wrong with that and always remember you don't have to buy what they put on you. I know a lot of people feel pressuried in those stores but don't! If you wanna see how it lasts for the day tell the make-up girl/guy that and get the number/colour of the products and go about your day. They ain't gonna call security!!!

I've posted in here before about foundations. I'll try finding the thread when the search button pops back up. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

LadyLotts wrote:
    Foundations seem to work totally differently on different people. I find higher end brands seem to work better on my skin although Dream Matte by Maybelline has been fantastic. It's a sort of mousse so it's quite thick. I find that with a bit of powder over the top of it it'll stay on for the whole day. The most I'll have to do is top up my powder during the day. I have combination skin so I just put Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream on my forehead to stop it from drying out and lots of powder on my nose to stop it from being shiny.

I'd go with dream matte mousse aswell. I think its great and it stays on ages.. on me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The suggestion to go into Brown Thomas for a few days seems like a good one, I think i'll give that a shot today - do make up counters generally give free samples as well as doing a make over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

How do you mean free samples? They'll put some on you and you can see how it is on your skin but i don't think they give you any to take home if thats what you mean?

I'd try arnotts aswell, i dunno i just don't like how stuck up the people can be in brown thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Sammyjo

I used to have the same problem with foundations....they either would be off my skin within a couple of hours, or the consistency would appear to have changed on my skin, so it would be blotchy in places.....id end up looking like a golliwog!!

Anyways, what saved me was Luminous Silk Foundation by Armani....if you go in and ask for a tester, they will give you a tiny bit to take away, and the good thing about the colours is that they go up in 0.5's so its easier to find the shade to suit you.

With this Armani foundation, I can basically put it on at half seven in the morning and its still looking grand by the time im going home from work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

DON'T buy the MAC foundation it's rubbish. The colour and texture are terrible. I have tried loadsa foundations both expensive and cheap and the one I use is playsticks by benefit - you just lash it on in the morning and bobs yer uncle. ;) Comes in a range of colours also. ;)

I found the Givenchy foundation is lovely also, gives a nice glow....... :)

The secret to foundation is to put on your moisturiser half an hour beforehand or else if no time for that (like me in the mornings) just put a teenyweeny dab of moisturiser on.

Foundation should be set with powder also........ :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

MAC foundation is great, most professional make up artists use it. Ive also heard that Make Up for Ever is similar but slightly cheaper. If you are going on holidays over the next few months its definitely worth checking out the MAC counter or other make up counters at Dublin airport, way cheaper-MAC foundation for example is almost 10 euro cheaper at the airport.
    I would definitely visit make up counters as suggested above. These people are trained to help you find suitable make up for your skin type, tone etc, rather than just popping into a chemist and grabbing a cheap foundation.
    I have used Benefit playsticks and find that they are too heavy and unnatural for daytime use and are more suited to nights out. MAC, Clinique, Elizabeth Arden etc give good coverage but still look natural

Well MAC is pro preferred....meaning it is used by professional makeup artists on Films and Fashion Shoots so.... :p

BUT.everyones skin is different!!! People like different textures and coverage. So it's a case of trying it out. Some people swear by Armani Lumious Silk....it dries up my skin. Elizabeth Arden...too heavy for me. Lancome...it's ok on me. etc etc. It's the same with everyone.

Don't go into Brown Thomas or Arnotts and ask for a make-over. Go in and ask to try some foundation on. Make-overs cost 25euro and you normally need to book way in advance!! With just getting foundation applied they can't charge ya for it, as it's not a full make-over. Try and go in early in the morning when it's not busy. That way the girl/guy can spend more time on ya then say lashing the product on you!!

And you'll know a good make-up artist if they ask you lots of questions about your skin before they put anything on your face!!!

And don't forget powder for over your foundation - blot/translucent powder. There's no pigment in it...but it will set your foundation and will help take away shine during the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

True. Also a good make-up artist will have nice natural make-up on her/himself. It is fine to be caked in make-up if working on a make-up counter, but out in daylight it can look totally different, (I'm thinking transvestite city). :rolleyes:

Also, most counters will give samples, which are handy. They should give them quibble-free, but if they get a bit techy explain that you are not prepared to pay large money for something that may not suit ya. :)

True. Also a good make-up artist will have nice natural make-up on her/himself. It is fine to be caked in make-up if working on a make-up counter, but out in daylight it can look totally different, (I'm thinking transvestite city). :rolleyes:

Well you're not going to be seeing a make-up artist outside work, so some will look like transvestite city!! Esp. counters like MAC. Or Clinique tend to be orange for some reason?!

So don't let that put you off. On some make-up coutners you are required to wear the look of the season. That is why a lot of the time, girls look like drag queens!! But that's just the company's image. Go to the Laura Mercier counter and the girls look like they are wearing nothing! (love their stuff by the way!)

Maybe even bring in your own pots and ask for samples. Who cares what they think, ya wanna get a new foundation. They cost a lot of money!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I highly recommend Estée Lauder matte finish (rectangle glass bottle in a blue box)
    €36, but the bottle will last you over 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I tried lots of different foundations until I went into a pharmacy and asked the lady for some help. I suffer with some dry skin. She recommended Clarins and it was fantastic, its about €35 but it last ages.

• A lot of people find MAC foundation is bad for the skin, causes breakouts and looks matted on. It is really made for professionals who use it for stage make-up and in movies, that's why its so long lasting. It's not really meant for everyday use. I got sick of looking for a perfect foundation so I settled for Maybelline liquid foundation, it's cheap and it does the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭angelbaby

Do you exfoliate much? I have an oily t-zone aswell but I find that exfoliating at least twice a week helps alot.

I use Rimmel stay matte foundation along with Rimmel stay matte powder. The powder helps keep the foundation from sliding, it soaks up alot of the oil aswell. If you still find your skin is oily you can bring powder with you and reapply through the day.

Good luck. Hope you find something that helps. ;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

mac is definately the way to go.
    the make overs do not have to be booked way in advance ( i got my last one with a weeks notice), and the price of the make over (25 euro) is redemable against any product - i.e. the 30 euro it costs for the foundation.
    definately definatly definately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sodrisc

I have very oily, adolescent skin, even though i'm in my late twenties! It's a pain in the neck but I'm hoping that I won't get too wrinkly too early!

I have tried everything, from cheap to expensive and the only foundation that stays on me is Revlon Colorstay - oil free foundation. It's about 16 euro and the bottle lasts for ages. I do know that people who don't have oily skin find this a bit drying, but if you do have oily skin it goes on and stays on really well. It's also not caked on like some other foundations for oily skin. Apply it with your fingers and not a sponge and blend quickly! If you want to test its staying power apply a bit to the back of your hand, leave for a few minutes and then try to rub it off! I always apply a light dusting of powder over the top as well.

While I found MAC foundation to be rubbish, their Studio Fix compact is great to have in your handbag for quick touch ups and should last about 2 years, so is good value.

If only your T-zone is oily then the best product ever is No 7 Matte Under Make Up base - about 11 euro and much better than more expensive versions by Benefit and the like. Anyone with even remotely oily skin should have this as it basically airbrushes you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement