Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really Slow Wifi

• 11-09-2005 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

hi, ive been trying to connect on my router thru ntl. got it working after 4 hours after fighting with it.

however, while my Lan is working really well (thru router) and fast, my wifi is another thing.
    its really really slow

its a 802.11g router and a 802.11g broadcom mini pci card in my dell laptop.

it works fine on other wifi networks (like uni) its fast as it should be, and even back home in another country it was ok.

my 2 friends laptops work fine, they are SO fast. one's a dell 700m and the other an apple ibook

im really surprised mine isnt working.

anybody had this problem?im kindof figuring it might be something to do with either my wifi card or my windows xp sp2. (might some spyware) i did install mcafee security centre and it has reported nothing after a scan, nor has norton antivirus.

Cheers for helping

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

How slow is slow?

Also, make sure you're not running both NAV and MCAFEE firewalls or AV at the same time, they'll conflict - better still, use Sygate and AVG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭munzab

i have a 1mb line, with wifi at 54mbps so i should have a pretty good download rate.

i can only get up to 10kb/s download rate and my friend gets the same file from same place at >100kb/s.

worrying.

im planning on reformating the whole thing.

i only installed the mcafee antispyware thing after i noticed it was slow. norton was always on it.

thanks for trying to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Try changing the channel (+/- 2 channel difference) of the router & mini PCI card?

Disable all startup items in MSCONFIG (Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG -6) and test.
    Disable all (non-MS) services if still NOK..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Ì'm having a similar problem lately as well. If i connect over wifi, download speed are only 35-50kbs but if i revert to the lan connection i get 170-200 kbs.

This has only happened in the last week or so.
    Have a 2mb bb connection and a netopia 802.11b wireless router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

To the original poster and Scruff: have you checked for the presence of nearby wireless ntworks (or devices that use ~2.4GHz)?
    and how near to the router are you?

(Also: trying ping -t router IP address > result.txt , run it for approx 2hrs and post a link to the result?)

(Check power saving settings?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭munzab

i formatted and downgraded to win 2000. works like a charm now.

had to be spyware. im pretty sure. but no spyware detector found presence. after format it was grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

havent checked for other networks. have been as close as 3 feet to the router and furthest about 15.

dont think its spyware as that should effect the lan connection as well. will run spybot and adaware tonight to be sure.

Advertisement