Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband?

• 11-09-2005 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Have been onto these guys twice in the last 6 months. The first time I asked them about availability of their broadband service in my area (Ballsbridge), and they said it should be there in 2 months. I then called back 3 months later and was told they didn't have a definite time-line, but were looking at around 2 months time. Is this a standard yarn they're told to spin to anyone who calls them?
    On another note, does anyone here actually have NTL Broadband? Do they cover much of the city? Is it a decent service? I had a cable line in Belgium last year and was pretty happy with it. I currently have a standard NTL box in my flat which is disabled at the moment. I aksed about getting it re-enabled for broadband, and they said they couldn't do it yet. They could only offer me the standard cable tv through this connection, which is useless to me.
    Anyone know much about them? They don't seem to have any coverage maps, or time-lines for availability....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

You could be waiting a very long time for NTL. They've been due to roll out all over Dublin for the last 2 years or so, but the only new lines they seem to add are in newly built estates in the west of the city.

If you ask me, get DSL or IBB and stop hanging around. People on this forum say a lot of bad things about IBB, but I was with them and found them to be excellent. So choose your poison...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Don't want to pay €150 fee for installing an Eircom phone line, and I can't install an IBB antenna, as I'm in rented accomodation and my land lady won't authorize it. Currently using a RipWave modem, but I'm on the border area of IBB coverage and it's rubbish at the best of times! Loses the signal a lot, but I can use it for simple web-page viewing etc. Want a real connection though if possible, and as I already have an NTL cable-link box installed, I figured....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The people on the support desks have no idea apparently of NTL expansion plans and this appears to be Company policy. So do not believe anything they tell you. the first you will know it being available to you is when they offer it to you.

Do a search and you will see that by and large NTL users swear by it.(There have been lots of problems in Dublin 15 apparently) There has been significant expansion in recent times although there has been less postings lately from new customers which might suggest a slowing in expansion due to the sale of the Company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Surely get Digiweb DSL?. It's faster and cheaper than NTL, and they're coverage of Ireland is increasing the whole time. ****, I'm even getting DSL out in the sticks in Carlow from Digiweb in two weeks time!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

It looks to be the same money for Digiweb DSL, as it is for NTL? €25 fixed monthly charge.

http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_dsl_index.asp?i=1&i2=4&i6=34
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I have NTL BB and it's great! I got it in Temple Bar around January. My parents got it in Ballsbridge around May. They cover far more than "newly built estates in the west of the city". They do seem to have slowed their expansion lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

sisyphus wrote:
    Have been onto these guys twice in the last 6 months. The first time I asked them about availability of their broadband service in my area (Ballsbridge), and they said it should be there in 2 months. I then called back 3 months later and was told they didn't have a definite time-line, but were looking at around 2 months time. Is this a standard yarn they're told to spin to anyone who calls them?
    On another note, does anyone here actually have NTL Broadband? Do they cover much of the city? Is it a decent service? I had a cable line in Belgium last year and was pretty happy with it. I currently have a standard NTL box in my flat which is disabled at the moment. I aksed about getting it re-enabled for broadband, and they said they couldn't do it yet. They could only offer me the standard cable tv through this connection, which is useless to me.
    Anyone know much about them? They don't seem to have any coverage maps, or time-lines for availability....

NTL dont tell even thier staff of the rollout dates, becuase every area has been having issue from shoddy workmanship over the years!

I'd go for DSL its your best best, get your phone line back on !!

Drapper wrote:
    NTL dont tell even thier staff of the rollout dates, becuase every area has been having issue from shoddy workmanship over the years!

Where abouts in ballsbridge are you based? My parents are near the Merrion Centre. They had an awful time with DSL. NTL has been perfect, if you're that end of Ballsbridge it could be worth waiting a little while longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

Drapper wrote:

Are you a customer of theirs. I have their 1 Meg package and it's rock solid (Waterford). :)

Are you a customer of theirs. I have their 1 Meg package and it's rock solid (Waterford). :)

sure am but if you cant get the service I thnik DSL is the next best option..............

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

sisyphus wrote:

Yes, NTL customer service have no idea of the rollout plan until BB is actually available in your area.
    sisyphus wrote:
    On another note, does anyone here actually have NTL Broadband?

Yes, many do including me.
    sisyphus wrote:
    Do they cover much of the city?

About 120,000 of their 300,000 customers in Dublin can supposedly get it. Also all their customers in Galway and Waterford can get it.
    sisyphus wrote:
    Is it a decent service?

It is superb, IMHO it is the best BB product in Ireland (and I had DSL in the past). It is rock solid, never goes down, has very low latency and high download speeds and relatively cheap prices. (note people in D15 had problems but I believe it is fixed now).
    paulm17781 wrote:
    They do seem to have slowed their expansion lately.

I believe they have been very busy expanding the BB network in Galway and Waterford, giving every customer in these cities access to BB :)

Supposedly they will be returning to upgrade the rest of the Dublin network once this work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Just to let you know that after a few days thinking about it, I finally rang up NTL and asked them for a bb connection. She asked me for my account number, and then proceeded to tell me it wasn't available in my area (Cabinteely). Then I got cut off.
    So I rang back and got a different person, gave her my account number to double check, and she told me the same thing. Asked her when she thought it would be available, and she didnt know. Sounded like she couldnt get off the phone fast enough.
    Then I remembered talking to a neighbour who had bb, so I rang him, and he said he has it through NTL!
    So I rang back, and told yer man that I had been on twice already, etc, etc. So he asked my for my address, and it turns out that there are 2 accounts for that address, one for me, and one for the old owner of the house. And get this, on his account bb is available, but on mine it isn't ?!?
    So he linked the 2 accounts, and now I am due to be connected next week!

garlad wrote:
    Just to let you know that after a few days thinking about it, I finally rang up NTL and asked them for a bb connection. She asked me for my account number, and then proceeded to tell me it wasn't available in my area (Cabinteely). Then I got cut off.
    So I rang back and got a different person, gave her my account number to double check, and she told me the same thing. Asked her when she thought it would be available, and she didnt know. Sounded like she couldnt get off the phone fast enough.
    Then I remembered talking to a neighbour who had bb, so I rang him, and he said he has it through NTL!
    So I rang back, and told yer man that I had been on twice already, etc, etc. So he asked my for my address, and it turns out that there are 2 accounts for that address, one for me, and one for the old owner of the house. And get this, on his account bb is available, but on mine it isn't ?!?

that was a lovely little storey,

and you all lived happily ever after !!

garlad wrote:

It really makes you wonder how there account system works. I have been having a problem with getting letter from NTL for "free connection". This would be fine only I am connected. I contacted NTL and demanded to be taken off their mailing list. I was asked for my account number (why would a non-connected person have an NTL account number???). I gave it to them and explained that she was looking at the wrong list and the letters I am getting are aimed to get customers. She insited she knew what she was doing and that my account (I know I know) was removed from the mailing list.

I have recevied 3 letters telling me all the money I will save if I subscribe to NTL since. If there broadband wasn't so good I would probably leave them as this is so annoying. They really do need to sort some issues out.

Either way good luck with the BB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

paulm17781 wrote:
    It really makes you wonder how there account system ............................ They really do need to sort some issues out.

Either way good luck with the BB.

Truly one of the great understatements of all time:) They are probably one of the most incompetent Companies in the entire universe!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

dub45 wrote:
    Truly one of the great understatements of all time:) They are probably one of the most incompetent Companies in the entire universe!!!!!!!!

But 1 Meg BB at €25 per month is an awful big lure..... :D

But 1 Meg BB at €25 per month is an awful big lure..... :D

Beside the muppetry of the support/accounts staff, the product is great ! never had contention issue and you will see that if you pay for a 1mb service you will get it 99% of the time !!

belive me I've had DSL, Wirelss and now Cable and it the dogs b0ll0x

Bad company & Good products. I think I prefer that to Good company & Bad products. ;)

paulm17781 wrote:
    Bad company & Good products. I think I prefer that to Good company & Bad products. ;)

you left out bad company bad products (IBB) lol:D

Advertisement