Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Electro band of all times?

• 12-09-2005 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Kraftwerk? Faithless? ... Vote now

What´s your favourite Electro Band of all time?? 32 votes

Kraftwerk
    0% 0 votes
    Depeche Mode
    53% 17 votes
    Erasure/Yazoo/The Assembly - all things Vince Clarke
    18% 6 votes
    Front 242
    6% 2 votes
    Royksopp
    0% 0 votes
    Pet Shop Boys
    3% 1 vote
    Jean - Michelle Jarre
    0% 0 votes
    New Order
    0% 0 votes
    Faithless
    12% 4 votes
    Lamb
    6% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

please, dont ever mention faithless in the same sentence as kraftwerk

and wheres vangelis on that list?

but in answer to the question... kraftwerk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Yeah, had to leave some out, I am afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

New Order without any doubt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Yeah, had to leave some out, I am afraid.

you left out vangelis to put faithless in

lol

thats insane

its like leaving the clash out for busted in a best punk poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

All wrong in fairness. Half of that isn't electro and as helix pointed out, you left a lot of the genre defining acts out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

Anima wrote:
    All wrong in fairness. Half of that isn't electro
    Half? I can see one electro band there, Kraftwerk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Adblock

Fischerspooner

Depeche Mode for me, with kudos to Kraftwerk too.

But where's Gary Numan/Tubeway Army? Or Visage? Or Ultravox?

And if Royksopp are in, what about Air? And if ambient is included, surely the Future Sound of London must be in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Chemical Brothers?
    Prodigy?
    Orbital?
    Laurient Garnier?
    Primal Scream?
    Daft Punk?

erm.....me thinks the list could do with a bit of a refresh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Leftfield?

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

do you people know what electro is?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

not faithless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

Very Similar debate on our forum, best synthpop/80's band,
    Pet shop boys were winning, sadly New Order have taken over.

http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5941

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

I'm gonna ignore the poll, because while I feel that kraftwerk are top of the list... it's not much of a list. I'm gonna say anything with giorgio moroder [sic] or if I can include EBM [i did see front242 there!] in my choice, NITZER EBB Baby! oh yeah...

E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

if I can include EBM [i did see front242 there!] in my choice, NITZER EBB Baby! oh yeah...

*shudders at the thought of EBM*

It is true - the list is rather short. Maybe we count all the posts and add them to the overall votes.

do you people know what electro is?????

Yeah of course, but the problem is not with people's replies, it's with the OP calling "Electronic" music "Electro"

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

yes but at the same time the term "electro" is really wide as well and used for anything

yes but at the same time the term "electro" is really wide as well and used for anything

That's the point I was making.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

kraftwerk win hands down.. but i do enjoy fischerspooner

• Advertisement

Putting music into a box has always been a pain in the face. As for me, when I bought Kraftwerks - The Robots single back in 78 it was called Electro/Electronic music and so was Jean Michelle Jarres music even though one could call it something else altogether.

So, please don´t get too fuzzy about it. I guess whatever Electro music is for you would deserve to be in the list.

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lady Momo

Putting music into a box has always been a pain in the face. As for me, when I bought Kraftwerks - The Robots single back in 78 it was called Electro/Electronic music and so was Jean Michelle Jarres music even though one could call it something else altogether.

So, please don´t get too fuzzy about it. I guess whatever Electro music is for you would deserve to be in the list.
    I would personally lean towards the older stuff when I think of electro. Most people I know would tend to put those more dance-orientated genres, either in a genre in their own right, or stick them in with Electronica.
    Depends on your stand point I guess.

See, this type of confusion is what comes of letting music journos make up words for things. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

for 'electro' read 'electronic'....

even at that your choices are dodgy at best, anyway once kraftwerk are in it its game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

:/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_music

Check out computer rockers.

And real electo's ghay btw :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Wheres dead or alive? Surely there seminal 1985 'Youthquake' should put them at no.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Huh! And not a mention of the 'King of Electro' Gary Newman (Tubeway Army),
    Gary Numan is the 18th most successful singles artist in the history of British pop music with his mind blowing 34 UK hit singles. His impressive track record includes, seven Top Ten selling albums and Top Ten singles in the UK. He has continued to create music throughout the 8s and 90s and retaining one of the strongest cult following. (Author readily admits to being one of them.) In 1999 he released the superb Exile, which had been voted the number one album of the year by music critic, Andrew Hamlin for Pandomag.Com.

(src - watch the pop-ups though yuk)...

Never thought of Royskopp or Faithless as Electro myself but suppose ye could class them as such in some diverse way...

Would have to go for Depeche Mode myself - there influnce on music is phenominal and maybe vince clark a close second. On your choices that is other wise Gazza still rules the lot lol ;)

Yeah - They used to just call it RAVE at one time - sod Genres and all that defining stuff imo - it's either good music or it ain't - no matter what it is - don't much care for restrictions like genres myself. Folk get so hooked up on one or two particular kinds of music form and miss out on so much more influence and style by it. I also feel it restricts my developement as a musician to restrict my understanding of sound by staying within specific individual areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Where's Simple Minds ?

I know they evolved into more of a Rock group but their early work was ground breaking electronica. 'Love Song' is unsurpassed in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Didn't notice Mark Alomond - Softcell in there either - Pure Class imo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What the mother ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

Kraftwerk

and Massive Attack, Mike Oldfield .... ! When I started the poll I only had the option of putting 10 acts in (or maybe I did something wrong) and therefore,of course, the list is very limited . Having said that I still think Faithless (in a sorta twisted way) or Lamb or whatever are all Electro(nic) - as to Simple Minds: I never really listened to them in their early stage.

All I know is that even some meditation CDs are called electro instead of ambient and I agree that there are too many genres & subgenres. Nevertheless: Kraftwerk is still winning!!

If Numan goes in then Bowie should go in as well and the guy who sang "What is love" back in the day.

Where does one draw the line? I am lost :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kraftwerk but hey where's Tangerine Dream? :)

Mike.

Throbbing Gristle?
    Prodigy?
    BBC Radiophonic Workshop?
    Fennesz?
    Meat Beat Manifesto?
    Coil?
    Francisco López?
    Squarepusher?

Nah, I'm not really complaining. Kraftwerk still beat all these bands (but only just in relation to TG and Coil).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

None of them are electro bands? Squarepusher is one producer making jungly, jazzy stuff. Lamb arent an electro band either.

• Advertisement

Electro to me (and **** what some flash website that contains loads of made up sub-genres says) is artists that work with electronic music. Judging from the bands mentioned in the original poll, I think that's the OP's idea too.

Hmmm, I still stand by my statement.

Maccattack wrote:
    Where's Simple Minds ?

Hurrah. Another fan.

If you like 'Love Song' check out the double LP 'Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call', also taken from their electronica phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

squarepusher, bogodan razinski and such arn't electro.
    Its more electronic/techno something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

'electro' to me is electronic music with a kind of 'rock' edge... which is pretty vague of course. So i would usually lump the older (or retro) electronic acts into the electro genre...

So why no mention of Suicide??

Its greats though the way people have different ideas of what music fits into what genre... Its what i like about music. The same piece of music can have so many different reactions from different people.

dalk wrote:
    Its greats though the way people have different ideas of what music fits into what genre... Its what i like about music. The same piece of music can have so many different reactions from different people.

And this is exactly how it should be!

Advertisement