Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

• 12-09-2005 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Long story short im looking to attend the carlow college. Now i have checked out all my options, but wanted a little advice on my choices :o .

Now this is gonna seem strange (i think) so bare with me. I am looking at doing 1 of the Continuing Education courses first. The reason being, that these courses take up a lot less of your time and would allow me to get a full time job.
    With a full time job, i would be able to save up the funds needed to enroll in 1 of the full time programs, as these are very expensive for non-eu students.

I am looking at doing the Advanced Diploma for IT users. Im a bit worried though. Is it common for younger students to do these courses? Im worried i may feel outta place :o .
    Any advice or suggestions would be really cool :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

Wow.. that is rather backward! ;)

i take it you're not an irish resident with the "non-eu student" line.. i guess my first question would be "why the hell choose carlow!?" ;)

If you're set on doing a full time program might i suggest that you just put in the work for a while to gather some funds together and then just do the full time course? Don't see the point in doing a "continuing education" if you're just going to "overwrite" it with something else as soon as you're done. serves no purpose except to add to your, already full, plate.. what with a full time job etc.

also, about your choice of diploma... if you're young and smart you might want to consider doing something a bit more technical.. perhaps with better employment opportunities. not that i'm saying "Advanced Diploma for IT users" is a dud qualification or anything..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Noob

Well its a bit more complicated :o . In order to stay in ireland as a student i need to actually be a student in some form of an irish college. My parents live in carlow so it seemed the best choice.
    I realise i would be overwriting it with a further course but not sure what else to do. I cannot work in ireland until i am a student, so you can see the fix im in :rolleyes: .

hmm, i understand. and it does seem to be a bit of a pickle. have you no other options open to you? an evening degree/diploma course perhaps?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

aye unfortunatly you are in a bit of a sticky situation. According to oasis.gov.ie
    Non-EU/EEA nationals who do not require work permits to work in Ireland

You are entitled to apply for work in Ireland without a work permit if you:

* are married to an Irish citizen, or are a parent of an Irish citizen and have been granted permission to reside in the state
    * have been granted refugee status by the Minister of Justice
    * are studying at postgraduate level and are required to work as an integral part of your course, e.g., doctors, dentists, etc.
    * From 1st June, 2002 (in accordance with the term of the European Communities and Swiss Confederation Act, 2001), you do not need a work permit if you are from Switzerland and are coming to Ireland to work.

although it does say you can only work if its required by your course.

hmm, i understand. and it does seem to be a bit of a pickle. have you no other options open to you? an evening degree/diploma course perhaps?

Im confused, isnt an Advanced Diploma for IT users a diploma? I really dont have much of a clue about how these operate. It is only 1 night a week for 3 hours. Im also a bit worried that im gonna enter the room to find just working class men :o , if you get my drift.

aye unfortunatly you are in a bit of a sticky situation. According to oasis.gov.ie
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oasis.gov.ie
    Non-EU/EEA nationals who do not require work permits to work in Ireland

You are entitled to apply for work in Ireland without a work permit if you:

* are married to an Irish citizen, or are a parent of an Irish citizen and have been granted permission to reside in the state
    * have been granted refugee status by the Minister of Justice
    * are studying at postgraduate level and are required to work as an integral part of your course, e.g., doctors, dentists, etc.
    * From 1st June, 2002 (in accordance with the term of the European Communities and Swiss Confederation Act, 2001), you do not need a work permit if you are from Switzerland and are coming to Ireland to work.

although it does say you can only work if its required by your course.

They are not very strict about that, they realise that students have to work 1 way or the other. We did no about this but asked out local immigration guy and he said it isnt a problem.

Crumbs, what a mission :( . You would think with my dad being irish this might all be a lot easier, but no, crazy laws.

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming, i may get a brainwave :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

just outta curiosity does anyone know if this is possible in the states? i.e. find an evening course which i can do while i work and thus have a visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

just outta curiosity does anyone know if this is possible in the states? i.e. find an evening course which i can do while i work and thus have a visa.
    just fly over to Vegas, get some yoke drunk, then hav a quicky marriage! then just divorce her when ur leavin. simple. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The_B_Man wrote:
    just fly over to Vegas, get some yoke drunk, then hav a quicky marriage! then just divorce her when ur leavin. simple. ;)

you are wise beyond your years good sir!

Hey if you dad is irish you have no problem.

Hey if you dad is irish you have no problem.
    Today 18:52

You would think so hey :( . If i turn 18 and have not lived in ireland five years, they dont care who or what my family is :( . Bloody crazy really, my dad has been trying to fight it for a long time but the irish government dont care.

Im am still trying to decide how to solve this, so far the continuing eduaction is looking like my only option :o . Im a bit worried about a few things but im gonna try get some answers this week.
    Really is a crummy situation.

• Advertisement

It sounds it alright.. you have my well wishes in your quest! Let us know how you get on, okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

My sis did that course, ya wont feel outta place and it ll be a help to you when you apply for the full time course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

not 100% sure but think it is 20 hours a week you are allowed work on a student visa so you have the right idea!

I thought having an irish parent would make it straight forward :(

Was you da born irish, 2nd generation irish or irish by application?

Yo again, thanks for all the replys :).
    It sounds it alright.. you have my well wishes in your quest! Let us know how you get on, okay?

Thanks m8, i will let you no how i get on in the end.
    My sis did that course, ya wont feel outta place and it ll be a help to you when you apply for the full time course.

That is encouraging :), how old was she? I think it will help me in the long run when applying for a similar full time course, any knowledge of the course should help.

n
    ot 100% sure but think it is 20 hours a week you are allowed work on a student visa so you have the right idea!

I thought having an irish parent would make it straight forward

Im am still trying to find the details of how much i could work ect, bit hard getting hold of the right person :rolleyes: .
    You would think having an irish father would be of some benefit so me :rolleyes: , not even the slightest :( .
    Was you da born irish, 2nd generation irish or irish by application?

I could be wrong but im fairly sure he was 2nd generation, i think the got it through his father/mother.

Thanks again for the replys, i am just trying to find out whether this course will entitle me to a student visa, lets hope they get back to me.
    I dont suppose any1 no's of a web resource that would tell you which courses entitle you and which dont.
    Thanks.

Advertisement