Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1st day back in UCD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

^^ jeebus girl, what you been up to all day?

I have friends living in Merville and Glenomena, so we had brunch and lunch, one of the Student advisors brought his baby in, she's adorable, wandered around, met leads of people I know, got black oil-based paint on my favourite (and new) red jumper, and realised that the english department are being dicks to the mode 1 students again this year. No more Anglo Saxon (my degree goes even further down the pan, ta velly mush) and no information about mode 1 specific lectures or any of that sensible stuff. But at least I only have 5 essays this semester (3 of which are 4000 words- bubbalicious). Having had 6 all year last year.

By the way, drinking three litres of water in an hour is really bad for you... especially when you're stuck on a bus and need to use the bathroom afterwards.

What's with the poo days? Where's the UCD I knew and loved gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Today was better than yesterday but still not all that great. I managed to make my lecture on time. I could have had a conversation with the guy beside me but I was too tired to speak. I then ran into someone I knew from last year (an acquaintance) and I chatted to him for a few minutes but he had to head to a lecture. I had six hours to kill. Grrr! So I went for something to eat and ran into someone else I knew and chatted for about a minute but he had to leave to meet his friends. I then went into the library and read a history book for a few hours to kill time. The I had my last lecture and an attractive girl asked me something and I got into a good conversation with her though it seemed to be me asking most of the questions. Then the lecturer arrived. Big grrr! At the end of the lecture the girl ran out in a hurry and said goodbye very quickly and I couldn't follow up on it. :(

Ah well at least I don't feel too depressed but there are a few things worrying me and perhaps some of you could help me out...

1. I don't have a new Student card yet. What do I need to do to get one?

2. I can't access Blackboard. Do I need the student card to be able to do this?

3. Why did they waste money on that card swipe thing at the library exit when nobody uses it?

4. Why do people harp on about Superman being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound when he can fly? :confused:

So many questions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

panda100 wrote:
    ...mr nice guy if u feel left out u should defo come to the boards beers on fri i can garuntee you;ll feel one of the gang within a second!
    Heh heh heh...
    You promised MNG a grope!
    W00t on his behalf!

& Congrats (&thanks) to you also missy!
    Everyone'll have to buy everyone else a pint on friday to celebrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

1. I don't have a new Student card yet. What do I need to do to get one?

As long as you've paid your giro at least 5 days ago (cos it takes that long to go through and show up on the system) just buzz down to astra hall and they'll print one out, all you need is your student no. You don't even have to pose for a picture if your happy enough with last years.

And people who aren't enjoying ucd, GET INVOLVED, I know blah blah blah, everyone says join societies, but I've had such a lovely two days that it kills me to think people aren't having a good time in college, when I know full well that it actually is a lovely place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Today I was feeling the way I did most days last year, feeling isolated and disillusioned and even my few friends are giving me the ''hint hint f**k off we don't want you around'' treatment after only 2 days. This place is depressing me again and honestly no matter how many clubs/socs I'll join I don't believe I'll ever fit into this place.

If you're stuck for something to do man, we always ALWAYS need helpers :)

• Advertisement

Help me! I need help!

Ooh, just realised how bad that sounds.

No, seriously, if you're stuck for something to do tomorrow, I have plenty of postering to do if you want to lend a helping hand, just PM me. It'll be fun, I promise. I wouldn't lie to you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Vainglory wrote:
    If you're stuck for something to do man, we always ALWAYS need helpers :)

I'll probably be well up for that as once I sort myself out with whatever the hell I'm doing.
    And people who aren't enjoying ucd, GET INVOLVED, I know blah blah blah, everyone says join societies, but I've had such a lovely two days that it kills me to think people aren't having a good time in college, when I know full well that it actually is a lovely place.

Even though I'm planning on getting involved alot more in clubs/socs I personally feel that this college goes out it's way to help the people who already have the large social networks rather than the opposite way around. If you look at all of the events being organised they will not attract people looking to friends and settle in and are only going to attract the ones in the large groups. Is anyone really going to go along to Bondaaii by themselves for some D4 pissup? I certainly wouldn't anyway and I don't believe many people would. The problem with societies as far as I'm concerned is that they don't appeal to the people who really need them most ie. people who don't know many people.... and the fact that most of them are crap and do nope.

On the whole ''UCD is a lovely place'' I completely disagree with you. IMO it's a horrible place for some people and the people who do like it and enjoy their time here should not ignore the fact that there are alot of people feeling lost out here (I'm not the only feeling like this on this forum) and who will drop out as a result. (I'm still scratching my head as to why I haven't dropped out)I don't believe there is any statistics on this but I believe there is a serious problem with isolation in this college and IMO I blame this on the students. The students make the college atmosphere and community and they let the college down badly on this especially from an Arts perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I'm having fun and thats all that matters!

But Zane, the majority of the events on campus (over 99% of them, as far as I can see) are organised by societies for their current and prospective members.

*pimp(ish)* The ELS is a small society, and is therefore intimate - it's a great place to get to know people, and I've been involved since first year. Hell, I've been on committee since I was a fresher! We love people of all kinds, especially the nice ones, but we even like the nasty ones! Plus, we meet every week (from the 27th of this month) and have a few select events, including a Beatnik Bash and a weekend away.

Ok, so that's just my experience, but that's how I got to know people well. Now I'm Auditor. Crazy, huh?

That's why getting involved in a society is so important - because the societies are the ones who create the social events, for their members. If you're not a mamber, you can more than likely still go, but you get to know people at their members events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Went to lectures in the subjects Im thinking of doing as part of repeating,then just floated around talking to people I knew from last year who are now second years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What's the ELS?

I'm guessing it's not a society dedicated to the legendary golfing icon Ernie Els...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Jebus Christ! All this moaning from zane is getting me down. I know nobody in this college and now i'm worried i'm gonna turn into him.
    No offence zane.

Jebus Christ! All this moaning from zane is getting me down. I know nobody in this college and now i'm worried i'm gonna turn into him.
    No offence zane.

You'll get used to it after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well come Friday you'll get to know all of us! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm pretty much the same in that I've been here a year and haven't gotten to know anyone that well, at least not to the extent that I hang around with them or have their numbers or anything. I know people in the college from school but don't see them during the day.
    I figure its my own damn fault, but I have started to get involved this year already so here's hoping it works out better. And I totally agree that things like nights out in bondai are pretty much aimed at people that already have groups of friends.
    Either way as long as I'm enjoying my course there's no way I'm gonna drop out - like I said this year I'm gonna go out of my way to get involved and meet new people :)

On the whole ''UCD is a lovely place'' I completely disagree with you. IMO it's a horrible place for some people and the people who do like it and enjoy their time here should not ignore the fact that there are alot of people feeling lost out here (I'm not the only feeling like this on this forum) and who will drop out as a result. (I'm still scratching my head as to why I haven't dropped out)I don't believe there is any statistics on this but I believe there is a serious problem with isolation in this college and IMO I blame this on the students. The students make the college atmosphere and community and they let the college down badly on this especially from an Arts perspective.

Sorry Zane, I don't accept this at all.

There are over 100 societies in ucd, of these only a handful are of the L&H, C&E variety where there's a lot of kudos and prestige for getting on the running committee, for the most part running a society is a massive amount of stress, a drain on your time, and an obstacle to academic success.

One of the few rewarding things about it, and one of the only reasons students do do it, is creating a space for people get to know each other, have a good time, and get the most out of their college experience.

I worked my ass off all summer for the philosophy society and I really forgot why until Monday when we had a bunch of freshers come to our fist coffee morning (several of whom arrived completely on own) and get chatting to us and other people. Bang, now they know people in their course, now they know the people who are running a society for their benefit, now they have something college related to do in the evenings if they so wish. And maybe they won't get involved in philsoc, and that's cool but it's unbelievably gratifying to know that you might have helped make a few peoples first day a little less daunting.

You really have no idea how frustrating it is to get up in front of a lecture theatre day after day and make announcements about events hardly anyone goes to and know that there are people out there complaining that there's nothing for them in ucd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jellymonster

first day back i went to my one lecture, talked to the few people i know in the stupid course, avoided the others like a little black plague, then went to the bar and got slightly tipsy i.e. i fell on my ass and talked crap all night, good times :p

Sorry Zane, I don't accept this at all.

There are over 100 societies in ucd, of these only a handful are of the L&H, C&E variety where there's a lot of kudos and prestige for getting on the running committee, for the most part running a society is a massive amount of stress, a drain on your time, and an obstacle to academic success.

One of the few rewarding things about it, and one of the only reasons students do do it, is creating a space for people get to know each other, have a good time, and get the most out of their college experience.

I worked my ass off all summer for the philosophy society and I really forgot why until Monday when we had a bunch of freshers come to our fist coffee morning (several of whom arrived completely on own) and get chatting to us and other people. Bang, now they know people in their course, now they know the people who are running a society for their benefit, now they have something college related to do in the evenings if they so wish. And maybe they won't get involved in philsoc, and that's cool but it's unbelievably gratifying to know that you might have helped make a few peoples first day a little less daunting.

You really have no idea how frustrating it is to get up in front of a lecture theatre day after day and make announcements about events hardly anyone goes to and know that there are people out there complaining that there's nothing for them in ucd.

Did I single out the Philosophy Society? No. The Philosophy Society has been one of the few societies that I've heard good things about here...... GeogSoc take note.

I have huge respect for people like you who go out there and break their balls running societies/clubs. I'm sure if I found the right niche last year I'd be doing the same but I didn't. Sadly from my perspective and many other people's most societies do f**k all and are only there to make a quick buck from freshers who don't know better (e.g. moneygrabbers B&L, L&H, C&E, LawSoc) My point was and you clearly didn't grasp it is most events are aimed at people who have masses of social networks on entering UCD. IMO the Societies overall are a letdown and I'd rather get involved in a club any day over a society.

I noticed you quoted what I wrote about the atmosphere in UCD. That was about students themselves and not about socieites. The new lot this year seem alot more sounder. I think I've got talking to more people in 4 days than I did in the whole of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Why don't you think freshers can look after themselves. I'm not giving my hard earned 2euro, or whatever, to the L&H society or any of their affiliates. What do they have to offer me???

Did I single out the Philosophy Society? No. The Philosophy Society has been one of the few societies that I've heard good things about here...... GeogSoc take note.

I have huge respect for people like you who go out there and break their balls running societies/clubs. I'm sure if I found the right niche last year I'd be doing the same but I didn't. Sadly from my perspective and many other people's most societies do f**k all and are only there to make a quick buck from freshers who don't know better (e.g. moneygrabbers B&L, L&H, C&E, LawSoc) My point was and you clearly didn't grasp it is most events are aimed at people who have masses of social networks on entering UCD. IMO the Societies overall are a letdown and I'd rather get involved in a club any day over a society.

I noticed you quoted what I wrote about the atmosphere in UCD. That was about students themselves and not about socieites. The new lot this year seem alot more sounder. I think I've got talking to more people in 4 days than I did in the whole of last year.

Many events are aimed at people who have a social network because many people coming to ucd have a social network. But there are also many events run for people without such a network. Introductory wine receptions, coffee mornings... I went to a lot of these in the first months last year, usually on my own or with people I barely knew. Also, you don't necessarily have to have a social network to go to a night club event. I barely knew the people I went to Extravagance (1920's night in Bad Bobs run by Retro Soc, A&F, and PhilSoc) last year, but I got to know them by getting drunk and dancing with them.

Zane, I know you weren't attacking Philsoc, I just used it as an example because it's all I really got involved in. Having spoken to senior committee members of other societies I honestly believe that most societies (or at least most small societies) have the same ethos as us (i.e. make sure people enjoy ucd), but it's not something that a committee can just do, if people don't come to society events the society collapses, end of story. If you a member of a society that isn't doing it's job, get onto them, give them a hand, or stage a coup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Why don't you think freshers can look after themselves. I'm not giving my hard earned 2euro, or whatever, to the L&H society or any of their affiliates. What do they have to offer me???

The best free stuff... but by free I mean it'll cost you 2 euro or so. Free slice of pizza from Lawsoc...MmMmM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Not quite my first day back but found out that thanks to modularisation I found out that my repeat fees will be over a grand cheaper than what I was expecting them to be, good mood central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bitchin :)

Not quite my first day back but found out that thanks to modularisation I found out that my repeat fees will be over a grand cheaper than what I was expecting them to be, good mood central.

I'm kinda the same. I've found out that I have to pay 600 yo-yo less than I thought and have to do 10 credits in 1st year rather than the 20 I thought. I could only have 2/3 hours a week this year!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I'm kinda the same. I've found out that I have to pay 600 yo-yo less than I thought and have to do 10 credits in 1st year rather than the 20 I thought. I could only have 2/3 hours a week this year!!! :eek:
    And yet you still didn't turn up for the beers today.
    For SHAME!!!! :p

P.S. Zane was right about the societies, tbh...

Had a good reason Seb..... sorry. :(

2 hours a f**king week!

Is this a UCD record? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

And I thought my friend who has four was lucky....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

I personally feel that this college goes out it's way to help the people who already have the large social networks rather than the opposite way around. .

What a myth - chin up Zane loads of people myself included come here without knowing a single other living person in UCD its not ever difficult to make friends get involved, get drunk, get a reputation whatever make friends here its crap otherwise

beanyb wrote:
    And I thought my friend who has four was lucky....

It gets even funnier. From weeks 7-12 I'll have just 2 hours in those 6 weeks. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement