Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair Nightmares

Options
  • 12-09-2005 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

All:

Your advice would be appreciated. I'm renting a 3 bed place with a friend which is quite nice, we are working through an agency and have had nothing but nightmares from them with regard to repairs. It took them 8 months for example, to respond to a fire alarm issue which escalated to the point of the alarm starting to melt. But thats another story. I won't even start about smaller requests that have been "forgotten" by the landlord's agent.

My latest issue is that this morning an electric shower failed. Now in 3 different places i've lived in I had a problem with the shower and on every occasion the landlord got the repair done, on one occasion they even had somebody out the following morning. But I called the agent this morning and was told that shower was an "internal repair" and that I was liable. Immediately I told them that in my experience that was not the case and that I expected them to carry out the repair.

So where do I stand? I understood that repairs for the tenants were basically tenant damage, broken windows, stuff like that - but anything structural, like heating, electrics, water etc, or anything that should be provided by law, is the landlord's responsibility.

My feeling is that after having to fork out to get the alarm repaired and pay for a gas boiler to be serviced that probably hasn't been serviced for years, they are trying to save a few quid . . . where do I stand exactly? I believe they are obliged to carry out this repair by law and are trying to pull a fast one on us.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

only advice would be to look at the tenancy agreement...usually it's specified there who looks after what....in out place it's clearly outlined that something similar would be the reponsibility of the landlord

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Contact Threshold, they can advise you on this. www.threshold.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Well i would withhold the rent until the repairs are carried out. Otherwise get a plumber out and deduct the cost from your rent, post the bill into the agent and landlord.He wont be long about getting repairs done in future...thats exactly what we did in a place we stayed in a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Well i would withhold the rent until the repairs are carried out. Otherwise get a plumber out and deduct the cost from your rent, post the bill into the agent and landlord.He wont be long about getting repairs done in future...thats exactly what we did in a place we stayed in a few years ago.
    Do NOT do either of the above or your landlord will have grounds to initiate eviction proceedings against you. You are not required to pay for repairing the shower, and the agent should know this. Tell the agent you are contacting Threshold and will contact the PRTB if neccessary. You could also try contacting the landlord directly if you have his details.

Advertisement