Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Braddock

Options
  • 12-09-2005 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I saw the film Cinderalla man recently which depicts the story of James Braddock (goes from number 1 lhw contender to living on the bread line, then get's a whack at the title and wins).

I personally, didn't think the boxing scenes were choreograhped all that realistically but my friend disagrees. Aparently, Russell Crowe picked up a fair few knocks, concussions, cracked teeth and a dislocated shoulder during filming.

Anyway, the reason i'm posting this here rather than Film is because it raises the usually questions about Boxing. Is it just dangerous violence, two men competiting for the viewing pleasure of sadistic onlookers or is a noble profession, calling on courage, determinition etc. etc.

It also shows the brutality of booking during this era, 30s-40s. According to the film a couple of guys had been killed. Referee stoppages were really only after a few knock downs. Not like today, imo, were refs hop in asap if a guy is getting bulldozed, rightfully so in my opinion.

Another question i asked myself during the film, if you were getting a thumping, why not fall down and take the count rather than try to scuttle about the ring? is it so difficult to get up once you go down? i've never boxed before.

Advertisement