Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South West Reg. Auth. Sat. survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The inclusion of satellite in the Group Broadband Scheme and Broadband Strategy for Schools Programme is seen to be a positive development
    .. jeeeiiiisus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

The inclusion of satellite in the Group Broadband Scheme and Broadband Strategy for Schools Programme is seen to be a positive development

Who are these idiots????

Satellite Broadband as the primary means in a small developed country like Ireland????
    I would have no problem recommending Sat BB for a place as sparsly populated as Australia's bush...but Ireland???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Did I read somewhere that their research was part funded by the European Space Agency.

I'm sure that would not have had anything to do with it though.....

vinnyfitz wrote:
    Did I read somewhere that their research was part funded by the European Space Agency.

I'm sure that would not have had anything to do with it though.....

I remember the ESA sponsoring tests of Sat BB in rural West Cork last year.

Yeah, who would guess that the ESA would be in favour of sending more satellites into space...hahaha!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

yet again another Irish report doing a favour for big business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

unfortunately, i took part in this survey ........ The only reason people use Sat BB is because there is no alternative, If i could get DSL to my home via Eircom or whoever..i would, If i could get Wireless to my home... i would ...but i can't so 1-way Sat BB is the only cost effective way for me to use BB .... This sucks .... no choice, no alternative .... surveys like this do not help the situation ..... we want real BB not a pretend service .... i don't live in the Sahara desert ... i am supposed to be living in a country trying to become a digital hub ...... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

so voip, gaming, vpn, netmeeting or uploading are not important then?

Thats everything i use the net for, or did while with bandwidth in n Ireland/england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 naughtyadam

zuma wrote:
    Who are these idiots????
    I'm pretty sure they're the idiots that, in conjunction with Cork County Council and advised by someone that I'm pretty sure shouldn't be allowed to advise anyone on anything (but who probably made a neat profit on it anyway), set up various wireless trials around county Cork using satellite as backhaul. CorkWAN was alive at the time and advised them not to, and declined involvement, but they went ahead anyway. So I'd imagine part of the point of this survey was to counter accusations by people like yourself that they're idiots. Black propaganda I guess you'd call it. Or bullshít possibly.

adam

Robxxx7 wrote:
    unfortunately, i took part in this survey ........ The only reason people use Sat BB is because there is no alternative, If i could get DSL to my home via Eircom or whoever..i would, If i could get Wireless to my home... i would ...but i can't so 1-way Sat BB is the only cost effective way for me to use BB .... This sucks .... no choice, no alternative .... surveys like this do not help the situation ..... we want real BB not a pretend service .... i don't live in the Sahara desert ... i am supposed to be living in a country trying to become a digital hub ...... :confused:

What was the service like anyway...simple things like speed/reliability and not pings as they will be huge with Sat BB anyway???

Surfing and downloading files should be allright in SatBB...but as we all know time dependent tasks are a waste of time on that medium.

To be honest i can't compare it to normal BB as i don't have it :( ... but for reliability and downloading i can't complain...its very good... although having to use a standard dial-up for my uplink is a pain... and obviously twice the cost ... I would love to be able to use VoiP etc..but fear the delays in speech will be unacceptable... I'd like to telework alot more, but then i will need a second phone line to make calls...

In my situation...Sat BB is my only option.... i am about 6-7km away from a BB enabled switch... so close but too far !!
    zuma wrote:
    What was the service like anyway...simple things like speed/reliability and not pings as they will be huge with Sat BB anyway???

Surfing and downloading files should be allright in SatBB...but as we all know time dependent tasks are a waste of time on that medium.

• Advertisement

Robxxx7 wrote:
    To be honest i can't compare it to normal BB as i don't have it :( ... but for reliability and downloading i can't complain...its very good... although having to use a standard dial-up for my uplink is a pain... and obviously twice the cost ... I would love to be able to use VoiP etc..but fear the delays in speech will be unacceptable... I'd like to telework alot more, but then i will need a second phone line to make calls...

In my situation...Sat BB is my only option.... i am about 6-7km away from a BB enabled switch... so close but too far !!

I dont understand why they didnt give you 2-way Sat BB!!!

It was available but very very cost prohibitive......

One way was far cheaper and i could still utilise my existing sky dish (just added a quad LNB and a Sat card)
    zuma wrote:
    I dont understand why they didnt give you 2-way Sat BB!!!

Advertisement