Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ripwave in Dublin city centre that bad?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I tried ripwave because I couldn't fathom how a service could be 100% cr*p, especially as I can see the base station from my bedroom I thought I might be lucky but not, I see now that it is just a crap service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

In contrast to this I know one IBB customer in Fairview/North Strand area who can't praise their service highly enough ! Gets a constant 2MB symmetrical service without any downtime for the past 5 months. What mast would he be connected to anyone know ?

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I got ripwave last month.

I don't see why everyone here gives out about it.
    My signal is from Northside Shopping centre which about 1.5km away.
    My speed according to irishisptest.com is 198kbps download and 10kbps updownload. Thats more than good enough for using the internet.

Ok, the service drops for maybe 2 minutes every hour or two but nothing major.
    What exactly would you be downloaded that requires 2mbps speed? Seriously, IBB is faster than what I had had in college two years ago.

I have an IT degree so Im not a naive first-time internet user btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

micmclo wrote:

My speed according to irishisptest.com is 198kbps download and 10kbps updownload. Thats more than good enough for using the internet.

Ok, the service drops for maybe 2 minutes every hour or two but nothing major.
    What exactly would you be downloaded that requires 2mbps speed? Seriously, IBB is faster than what I had had in college two years ago.

I have an IT degree so Im not a naive first-time internet user btw.

I think you are :p - that two minutes every hour might be the clincher to stop you winning a bid on EBAY. Why should anyone put up with drop-outs. would you think your car was great if it cut out for two minutes every hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

micmclo wrote:

They give out because it is genuinely crap for them.

My own opinion is that complaints are due to the management of the network and basestations rather than something inherent in the technology although there are obvious limitations there also. If you gave the clearwire equipment to IBB, you would still get loads of complaints even though the technology appears to be much better.

tbh, I don't think the speeds and cutouts you describe are acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

micmclo wrote:

My speed according to irishisptest.com is 198kbps download and 10kbps updownload. Thats more than good enough for using the internet..

You're one of the lucky ones. Look at my speeds on the previous page. It's slower than DIALUP. And i'm not a n00b doing something wrong, I used to work in support for an ISP and I now work in system and network administration, there is nothing wrong at my end at all.

If i was getting your speeds I would KEEP the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

198kbps download and 10kbps upload!!!

That upload is awfully slow at around 1.25KBytes/s!!

For Ripwave that download is pretty good...but at arounds 25KBytes/s isnt something to be too prooud of!

Still at only €25 a month...its not to bad...I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Still a bit off what they are advertising.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

eth0_ wrote:
    I'm going to give it a shot, there's a 7 day money back guarantee thing so if it's **** it's going straight back to the shop (Beyond 2000).

I'll post here later and let you know if it works. Well, hopefully!

7 days from the time of contract signing. The fine print is a killer. I am a RipWave user in galway, and well its Okay for me. It has been improving lately, and it is actually pretty good for downloads, though the surfing can be painful from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

zuma wrote:
    198kbps download and 10kbps upload!!!

That upload is awfully slow at around 1.25KBytes/s!!

For Ripwave that download is pretty good...but at arounds 25KBytes/s isnt something to be too prooud of!

Still at only €25 a month...its not to bad...I guess?

10kbps U/L? That is going to kill your surfing. I get better than that consistently, and I even find the limited U/L to hamper basic surfing. Haven' tried VoIP/IM yet ... but I am not looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement