Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help the newbie!

• 12-09-2005 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭

I *think* this is in the right section so here goes

I have a computer which is about 5 years old and im giving it to my sister. Havent used it in quite a while as we now have a new computer. So i want to wipe everything off the old computer yeah? How do i go about doing this? Im pretty sure theres a quick way of doing it, just leaving the bare essentials like MS Word or whatever, but deleting all the files. Ya get the picture!

Anyone care to help the not-so-whiz kid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I think the best thing for you to do would be to format the bad boy and then reload it. Other than that you can either do return to factory settings if you still have the disk from the manufacturer or go thru the machine and delete the files individually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Depends on what version your OS is

(Should work for Windows 95/98/98SE)

Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
    Click Add/Remove Programs

Uninistall the programs you dont need from there.

Then open the My Document folder on C and delete all the files there that you dont need any more

Empty the recycle bin..

Its a sloppy way of doing it and it would be easier to install the thing from scratch but thats a whole different ball game :P

Be careful when uninstalling shared files. For safetys sake, when it asks you do you want to uninstall a SHARED component, leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Keyzer wrote:
    I think the best thing for you to do would be to format the bad boy and then reload it.
    Dont mean to sound like an idiot but how would i go about that?

Also, im pretty sure the Win98 disc is gone, but would i be able to install the WinXP from the newer computer onto it? As in completely wipe the computer and start fresh with windows XP instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yes. Boot from the CD, follow the wizard, et voila. It really is as simple as that, unless you want to be concerned with the glaring licensing problems.

ColHol wrote:
    Dont mean to sound like an idiot but how would i go about that?

Also, im pretty sure the Win98 disc is gone, but would i be able to install the WinXP from the newer computer onto it? As in completely wipe the computer and start fresh with windows XP instead?

Start - Run - type in CMD and hit enter
    From the command prompt type in format c: and follow the instructions...

Depends on the specs on the machine as to whether it can run on WINXP...

http://www.computerhope.com/index.htm is a good site for noobs...

• Advertisement

Amm Keyzer.. what happens when you type cmd into a Win98 machine??? It says program not recognised.

Also you cannot format the system/boot drive from internally within windows.

You will also need to activate your windows XP system and that will through a wobbly so after 30 days you will not be able to use it.

You can pick up a copy of Win 98 SE dead cheap on eBay

Or if you dont want to go through all the hassle of getting all the drivers again.. see my post :p

Ginger wrote:
    Amm Keyzer.. what happens when you type cmd into a Win98 machine??? It says program not recognised.

Also you cannot format the system/boot drive from internally within windows.

You will also need to activate your windows XP system and that will through a wobbly so after 30 days you will not be able to use it.

You can pick up a copy of Win 98 SE dead cheap on eBay

Or if you dont want to go through all the hassle of getting all the drivers again.. see my post :p

Mate, its not a competition on who can fix the guys problem, he asked me a question and I answered.
    I haven't used WIN98 for about 6 years so forgive me for not knowing the intricacies of each and every operating system.

OP - your probably better off taking his advice and just deleting everything off the machine manually, reloading etc. might cause you more hassle if you get shafted driver wise.

No worries it wasnt meant to come across that way..

It just saves a question when you type commands like that for different OS's especially with a newbie tag on it.

Unfortunately years of technical support and development on windows machines have engrained into my head :(

Advertisement