Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deck Shoes!!

• 12-09-2005 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Ok - what is it with Deck Shoes? Are they some kind of symbol of the upper class to announce their privileged backgrounds? They are hideous unfashionable shoes, yet I see young rich kids wearing them all the time!! Also - in girl's schools - it's amazing, you can tell if a girl is rich or working class by the shoes she's wearing. ALL of the posh girls seem to wear deck shoes whereas the lower classes wear black slip on shoes (not that I gawk at schoolgirls all the time, honest). Would a rich kid in blackrock be ridiculed if he/she wore another type of shoe with their uniform? Please explain if you can!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Someone please lock this thread, nothing good can come of this being left open.Nothing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Does it bother you that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Oh lord, another one of these...

No, shoes are not a symbol of social status nor is owning a pair like being in some form of gang.

kaids wrote:
    Does it bother you that much?

No, this is just going to turn into another "Anyone who wears Dubes is posh or a wannabe D4/ Everyone who doesn't is a knacker" thread,there won't be an intelligent point in it so it should be locked and sent to the recycling bin immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

If you must know what everyone thinks about these shoes then you can find your answer here.

Just to answer one question: I went to a private Blackrock school and wore cheap shoes. People aren't as shallow as you think. Don't fall for the stereotypes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

The same question was recently posted and just turned in2 a big slagging match.what the point in starting it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

grimloch wrote:
    Oh lord, another one of these...

I was just about to say that! I swear there already is one of these threads...been there done that...There shoes for the love of god get over it :D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Some Cool Shoes
    also good in orange

Brighteyes likes bright shoes it seems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I wore shoes like these to school in 1993 and I was in a bog standard convent school. But personally I think these shoes suit guys better. I do see the OP's point about the scummy slip on ballerina type shoes that are very popular amongst the school going young ones in Dublin. They ALL wear them... without meaning to stereotype, that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Ive just bought a pair of dubarry shoes and im far from a D4 richkid i just think they are nice and comfortable everyday shoe, everybody should have a pair fair enough they are expensive but they last for ages so its worth it ive spent €80 on a pair of base shoes and they only lasted like a few months and i only wore them out plus they were no where near as comfortable
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

LOCK THE THREAD!!!!

omg let's not go into his...AGAIN!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm go to a nothside cough*scanger*cough school.We wear black slip on shoes because we aren't allowed wear heels and they are comfortable.Only one girl in the school has dubes.I wouldn't wear them because I'd get called a wannabe.but in the end who cares its a pair of schhol shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Don't feed the trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

omg let's not go into his...AGAIN!!

His what exactly? And who is he in the first place?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

rb_ie wrote:
    No, this is just going to turn into another "Anyone who wears Dubes is posh or a wannabe D4/ Everyone who doesn't is a knacker" thread,there won't be an intelligent point in it so it should be locked and sent to the recycling bin immediately.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear - my post was directed at the original poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

His what exactly? And who is he in the first place?
    omg what...soz!!! let me re-phrase that...

omg lets not get into THIS again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 **Emo!!**

~In my school, quite knackerish all girls school so to say, anyone who wears a skirt wears black slip ons and anyone who wears pants (incl. knackers) wears av8's (cheap dubarrys but still €60). But no one in my school would be seen dead in them outside school. Rich people can be identified by the fact that they wear them outside school with o'neills, jeans, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

you're name automatically makes any point you ever make invalid.
    you are a nothingness ignored and hated by7 all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

^what moju said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TheMurrinator

Eh theres like another convo for this? Its called Dubarry SHOES, one convo is enough , like two is just un necessary.i go to a school where 95 % of the girls wear them, so to be honest I don't care if your going to call us peope who wear dubes, snobs, becuase i'm getting like sick of it now!

Eh theres like another convo for this? Its called Dubarry SHOES, one convo is enough , like two is just un necessary.i go to a school where 95 % of the girls wear them, so to be honest I don't care if your going to call us peope who wear dubes, snobs, becuase i'm getting like sick of it now!

Oh dear.

LOL!!! this is just too easy :D

Nightwish wrote:
    LOL!!! this is just too easy :D

I don't know which is worse to be honest,this post(for spelling) or the post above...
    I don't know, the above post could be a joke, as I haven't seen them post like that before OR they could just be trying to, i dunno, "act"..

Oh and I'd be almost positive that the school they referred to was Loreto Beaufort(They're from D14, Beaufort's in Rathfarnham...so I presumed they go there), and from what I've seen, they're telling the truth.
    Oh and if it is Beaufort, someone ought to have a word with the English teacher cause they seem to be doing an absolutely sh'ite job.

rb_ie wrote:
    I don't know which is worse to be honest,this post(for spelling) or the post above...
    I don't know, the above post could be a joke, as I haven't seen them post like that before OR they could just be trying to, i dunno, "act"..

act? oh no.

Nominated for the worst post ever? wow, I'm so honoured *bows* thank you :rolleyes:

Nightwish wrote:
    act? oh no.

Nominated for the worst post ever? wow, I'm so honoured *bows* thank you :rolleyes:

Que??
    :confused:

WHY IS THIS THREAD NOT LOCKED???...there is the exact same question asked under the heading of Dubarry shoes....Hello?

electric69 wrote:
    WHY IS THIS THREAD NOT LOCKED???...there is the exact same question asked under the heading of Dubarry shoes....Hello?

Simple answer, there isn't an active moderator. There is WWM and Seamus, both who have a whole lot more forums to keep an eye on(as Smods), and moderate, than this little one, so it's entirely understandable that they don't get a chance to actively moderate this forum regularly.

ok. i can understand that.its just very annoying that the same bitching match is going to start up again here.*sigh*

• Advertisement

The best way, considering we've no regularly active moderation here, to actually moderate the forum ourselves would be simply to not post into these kind of threads, and discourage those who do so from posting into it again. Eventually the thread would "die off".
    BUT instead we've people who seem to want to argue the same points over and over again, "Dubes are for D4 poshies" "I'd rather be wearing Dubes than nike runners, only knackers wear nike runners" and blah blah blah until we've, yet another, thread full of total BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

rb_ie wrote:
    yet another, thread full of total BS.

So out of keeping with the fashion/appearance forum.

This sub-forum is vital to the running of the country lads, keep it serious, no frivolity, keep your light-hearted japes and shinanigans for elsewhere.

Now where did I put my rubber braces?

electric69 wrote:

What's with this "Hello?" thing?
    Are you answering a telephone?
    How exactly is hello prosed as a question anyway?

What's with this "Hello?" thing?
    Are you answering a telephone?
    How exactly is hello prosed as a question anyway?

Why would i type "hello" on the forum if i was answering a phone? :confused:

My "hello" was refering to the apparent lack of mod's aware that their was a thread with the same topic of discussion already up and running.But rb_ ie pointed out there is not an regularly active moderation here so i guess that nothing is going to happen.

electric69 wrote:
    Why would i type "hello" on the forum if i was answering a phone? :confused:

My "hello" was refering to the apparent lack of mod's aware that their was a thread with the same topic of discussion already up and running.But rb_ ie pointed out there is not an regularly active moderation here so i guess that nothing is going to happen.

I do understand what you've done there, but my reply was meant to illustrate the idea of "Hello?" as something non-applicable in this situation. It's a gross Americanism that's usually the cornerstone of any sentence spewed forth from the teenage schoolgirl. I like to discourage the use of such coloqualisms. Like... Hello?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Main reason for dubes imo isn't fashion but comfort! Who really gets done-up for school?! anyways they do look pretty good sometimes-albeat not exaclty what you'd wear on a night out!

• Advertisement

Eh sorry but can you people get a life and stop slagging me just becuase, I said like in my post? Jesus this thread is for commenting on dubarrys, not commenting on how I speak/type thanks very much..You ovbiously all have no life apart from finding posts like mine to make fun off.

rb_ie wrote:

Oh and I'd be almost positive that the school they referred to was Loreto Beaufort(They're from D14, Beaufort's in Rathfarnham...so I presumed they go there), and from what I've seen, they're telling the truth.
    Oh and if it is Beaufort, someone ought to have a word with the English teacher cause they seem to be doing an absolutely sh'ite job.
    And about that post that you have a link to, there is a thing called taking the p**s which is obviously what I was doing in that thread...Im not that snobby..

Oh and for all of your information, I was taking the piss, When I said like loads of times in that thread, but even if I was serious, YOU should still have better things to post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rb_ie wrote:
    Simple answer, there isn't an active moderator. There is WWM and Seamus, both who have a whole lot more forums to keep an eye on(as Smods), and moderate, than this little one, so it's entirely understandable that they don't get a chance to actively moderate this forum regularly.
    chillax(hurts to even type that word),they shall appoint one or two soon as WWM and seamus are busy or whatever.WWM is taking on less resonsibilities as it is and i don't think fashion/appearance is a high priority on his list :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

i'm with poster, these shoes are definitely for toffs and to imply a love of yaughting.

lets call a spade a spade.

im working on lwr leeson street and can see at least 10 pairs of them right now on those daddy's girl in burgandy roish.

• Advertisement

Nautica clothing is generally associated with sailing.The Dubes are very comfortable to wear and i am almost %100 sure that every person that is knocking the shoes hasnt worn them before...if you want to give a fair and un-biased opinion one most know what they are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hmm.. first little look into this forum for me..

Im a bloke.. I wear Jeans etc most of the time, Chinos etc in work. I dont earn loads because Im a sub teacher, and ...

I wear Dubarry shoes.. shock horror. Im not trying to look rich, Im not trying to say I know one side of a boat from the other!

What I would say though.. is that because Im standing all day, I find them really comfortable... so much so I bought them in a different colour and now I have two pairs.

Imagine that loike... Im not even from Dublin!

Trotter wrote:
    Hmm.. first little look into this forum for me..

Im a bloke.. I wear Jeans etc most of the time, Chinos etc in work. I dont earn loads because Im a sub teacher, and ...

I wear Dubarry shoes.. shock horror. Im not trying to look rich, Im not trying to say I know one side of a boat from the other!

What I would say though.. is that because Im standing all day, I find them really comfortable... so much so I bought them in a different colour and now I have two pairs.

Imagine that loike... Im not even from Dublin!

:eek: :eek: "Your just a D4 wannabe" :rolleyes: :p

I believe that is along the lines of the response that you will get from certain people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

electric69 wrote:
    :eek: :eek: "Your just a D4 wannabe" :rolleyes: :p

I believe that is along the lines of the response that you will get from certain people

I honestly could not give a shoyte.. Im too far from D4 to be a wannabe.
    They're purely functional in my case.

And about that post that you have a link to, there is a thing called taking the p**s which is obviously what I was doing in that thread...Im not that snobby..

I linked that to show the quality of your spelling in your posts, then asked which was worse, your spelling or all the "like"s. If you'd actually read that post, you would of seen a "(for spelling)" right beside that link.

Oh I'm sure you were taking the piss ;);)
    Just so you know, you can edit your posts, no need to post three times in a row, especially since your three above posts are saying more or less the same thing in each one of them.

Ye I know that it was for the spelling!
    Anyway, I didn't know that you could edit them so...
    And btw I was taking the piss

I was in Dublin on Thursday & Friday, and I witnessed something very strange altogether. Grafton Street was full of these "Charity Muggers" (No, that's not the strange part) and it seemed every single one of them was wearing Dubes. I met nobody else while I was there who wore them, only these annoying ****heads. Are Dubes only for annoying ****heads? I think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

OK. Enough D4 etc-bashing. This thread is locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement