Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart or Eircom

• 12-09-2005 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have just escaped from using IBB 2mb Breeze after 3 months of poor erratic high ping performance.

Need advice on choosing new BB provider. Definately going with a dsl service and have just got my phoneline re-activated.

I'm on the Nangor Road Exchange in Clondalkin. When I do the line test on Eircom's site the line fails. However when the line test is ran on Smart's site it passed.

I cannot understand why the line fails on one, yet passed on the other. Either way I will get BB from one on them. Just looking for some friendly advice as I'm not getting burned again.

My preference is for Eircom and the reason being that my brother has it the last year and has yet to see any issues. His experience has been nothing but positive with no issues and low pings for online gaming.

Please advise, all comments welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Macker1 wrote:
    Folks,

I have just escaped from using IBB 2mb Breeze after 3 months of poor erratic high ping performance.

Need advice on choosing new BB provider. Definately going with a dsl service and have just got my phoneline re-activated.

I'm on the Nangor Road Exchange in Clondalkin. When I do the line test on Eircom's site the line fails. However when the line test is ran on Smart's site it passed.

I cannot understand why the line fails on one, yet passed on the other. Either way I will get BB from one on them. Just looking for some friendly advice as I'm not getting burned again.

My preference is for Eircom and the reason being that my brother has it the last year and has yet to see any issues. His experience has been nothing but positive with no issues and low pings for online gaming.

Please advise, all comments welcome

Eircom of course!!!

Why waste €35 a month on 2Mb when €30 gets you 1Mb through eircom and lets not forget the €24 for eircom line rental.

eircom must be the winner!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

If your line fails on eircom's site you will never ever get broadband from eircom, esatbt, utv etc.

The only reason is passes on the Smart website that they are using ADSL2+ tech which has a greater tolerence for crappy lines and allows higher speeds at greater distances. (and your are in a supported exchange)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I'd have to say Smart seems like the best option €35 incl line rental ..
    WRT the online test Smarts site only confirms your on an exchange thats live , although they seem to be able to get greater distence & faster speeds over distance than Eircom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Definitely Smart for €35 per month. Or upgrade to the 256K upload speed for €40pm.

The only downside with Smart is that you need to change phone number to get the service anyway quickly. This is due to the incompetence of ComReg and Eircom not wanting to make it easy for other operators to easily unbundle lines :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Macker1 wrote:
    Macker1,

I work for Smart. Smart's website only confirms what exchange you're connected to (as Beller B has pointed out). We have a high success rate with lines that fail eircom's line checker. [pimping] I have a 14Mb connection on a line that failed eircom's line test [/pimping].

Chances are that Smart can provide you with as much broadband as you need.

Garfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Hey Garfield is Smart enabled in the sword area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Garfield,

You can pimp all u like, I don't mind. I'm on the lookout out for a proven BB service that meets my needs. I've had 3 months of annoyance with IBB which thankfully are coming to an end tomorrow when they disconnect their equipment.

A reliable service that allows me to enjoy online Gaming - Low Pings - Simple Surfing and some online purchasing is what I require
    :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Macker1,

I work for Smart. Smart's website only confirms what exchange you're connected to (as Beller B has pointed out). We have a high success rate with lines that fail eircom's line checker. [pimping] I have a 14Mb connection on a line that failed eircom's line test [/pimping].

Garfield.

My line now gives a 'pass' on eircoms site, I am on Stage 2 of my application with Smart (Santry Exchange), any idea when I will get the thumbs up as I cannot wait, literally CANNOT wait to dump eircom...
    The Smart email I got said be patient but well, it's difficult when I've been stuck on dialup for months (not including the FOUR months it took eircom to provide me with a phoneline - wrong addresses, callouts that never happened etc etc)

Please GOD nothing will muck up this chance to go with Smart....! :eek:

It's not magis,it's just Smart........

Sgtshaft wrote:
    Hey Garfield is Smart enabled in the sword area?
    No and not this year.

Garfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bazdub17

Macker1,

Garfield.

Hi Garfield,

I was officially signed up to Smart BB on the 22th July and have my modem and new Smart Telephone number, but due to Eircom's messing around saying the line is not BB supported in my area, but this is wrong as my nextdoor neighbor has BB which goes to the same Santry Exchange. The phoneline he has was originally a ISDN line downgraded to support ADSL and has BB with Eircom but is changing over to Smart.

My question is, is it possible for Eircom to patch two free wires from his ISDN cable and get them patched into my phone number at the junction box at the top of the road or back at the Exchange as another way of getting a BB supported phone line to my house.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks.

Bazdub17 wrote:
    Hi Garfield,
    I was officially signed up to Smart BB on the 22th July and have my modem and new Smart Telephone number, but due to Eircom's messing around saying the line is not BB supported in my area, but this is wrong as my nextdoor neighbor has BB which goes to the same Santry Exchange. The phoneline he has was originally a ISDN line downgraded to support ADSL and has BB with Eircom but is changing over to Smart.
    My question is, is it possible for Eircom to patch two free wires from his ISDN cable and get them patched into my phone number at the junction box at the top of the road or back at the Exchange as another way of getting a BB supported phone line to my house.
    Hope you can help me.
    Thanks.
    Bazdub17,

PM me a contact telephone number. I'll need to talk to you about this.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Macker1,

Garfield.
    Well its not all roses pimp boyee, we ordered Smart BB back in March, every time we ring up, "oh yeah it'll be next month"... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

beller b wrote:
    It's not magis,it's just Smart........
    grrrrr that ad!!! :mad:

azezil wrote:
    Well its not all roses pimp boyee, we ordered Smart BB back in March, every time we ring up, "oh yeah it'll be next month"... :rolleyes:
    What exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Phibsboro - PHB20
    Rack 1
    Subrack 1
    Card 8
    Port 10

:P

azezil wrote:
    Phibsboro

There is no date against Phibsboro. Certainly not next month.

Garfield.

tk123 wrote:
    grrrrr that ad!!! :mad:
    Just thought up one for IBB
    it's not right!..It's just sh**e !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Garfield,
    Any word on the Finglas exchange? This year, next year, ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Garfield,any date for roslevin exchange in athlone to be enabled
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joplin

Is Temple bar connected yet to smart telecom?

joplin wrote:
    Is Temple bar connected yet to smart telecom?
    Temple Bar is served principally by the Crown Alley exchange (I think). Enter your number at www.smarttelecom.ie to confirm.

No dates on Roslevin or Finglas.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

This exchange is on our current Network Build Programme for this year.
    Thats in relation to the Firhouse exchange. Now, just out of interest... are you upgrading that exchange right now? Because all the 4943*** numbers on that exchange are having problems the last few days. Or is this just eircom fecking around?

Thats in relation to the Firhouse exchange. Now, just out of interest... are you upgrading that exchange right now? Because all the 4943*** numbers on that exchange are having problems the last few days. Or is this just eircom fecking around?
    Nothing to do with Smart.

Garfield.

Damn, i was just hoping :P Thanks for that.

O_o, I'm on 4941*** range and I haven't noticed any problems.

Plus I thought the 1-5 range was connected to ballyboden exchange?

Whoops, you're right. I'm on ballyboden. Why did i think firhouse?

So, are smart working on ballyboden? *hopes for a yes this time*

Whoops, you're right. I'm on ballyboden. Why did i think firhouse?

So, are smart working on ballyboden? *hopes for a yes this time*

Not that I can see in Garfields sig, but alas, network build programme according to smarts website.

Alteast there is hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Got email this morning from Smart confirming I'm on Broadband Stage 3 now, modem on it's way, got Smart telephone number (which takes 5-10 days to go active) so byebye eircom very soon!

Ta Garfield.

I sent forms in end of August, so far not too bad...

SANTRY exchange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bmurphy8177

I sent off my forms etc to Smart a few weeks ago.
    Does anybody have any idea when the Belcamp exchange will be enabled?

Advertisement