Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent children leaked with English subs apparently

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ethan Ross

In my humble opinion, Advent Children was utter crap. Great visuals, nothing about the story I didn't see coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

It's not bad, nothing wonderful but a good enough view.

I suppose the rest of this post should be in a spoiler tag.
    I didn't like the shockingly little amount of time some of the characters had on screen Cid, Yuffie and Red for example barely have a paragraph between them. Fair enough it was only an hour and a half but it didn't feel like they were really needed there.

Extra screen time would really really have been a plus.

As mentioned before, predictable bits like the last fight with Sephiroth. Not too much of a story to string the fight scenes together but then again I'm sure the constraints of time kicked in there.

Visuals were bitchin' and the fights were very nice indeed.The last bit with the sword thingy is very snazzy and the Bahamut fight is very impresive indeed.

For an hour and a half it was good, like I said I'd have liked another 45 minutes slapped on but I liked what they did with they little time they had.

Anyway I'm sort of looking forward to another look at the yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I think there were too many fight scenes. Which made the movie seem really short. The story was a bit lacking but not bad I guess. I don't see why they even needed "geostigma" in the story though.

My subtitles file was 57kb. Says a lot really :).

It was needed. Geostigma was the planets way of dealing with the remaining Jenova cells by killing those who were reborn with them as quickly as possible, so as to re-introduce them to the lifestream and place the cells in a constant cycle of phase, never allowing those who were infected to reach physical maturity, and become that which Jenova wanted, her soldiers. Furthermore, constantly cycling the cells in and out of the stream makes sure that at all times, a certain percentage of her cellcount is perminantly inaccessable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Whats the file size of this? Cos theres a few floating around.

• Advertisement

Slurms wrote:
    Whats the file size of this? Cos theres a few floating around.

Around 700 megs.

Crap, your right Ethan. Kinda forgot about that, was late when I was watching it.

No problem, sir.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

this film blew my ****ing mind. it was absolutly amazing. seeing the chars on screen was great. and thank god they didnt turn cloud into an annoying girly looking char, like tidus.

fav bits were definatly
    When Sephiroth first came into it. Cloud fly's down, hits the guy (cant remember his name) and he changes,THE sword appearing, and "its been a while cloud"....man i loved it
    The fight against Bahamut Zero was great
    Anyone else think Rufas kicked ass? hated him in the game, but he was great here
    Seeing Aeris at the end, hen she walks off with zack. ah man, it sends a chill down my spine just thinking about it :D

i would liked to have seen more screen time with the other chars, but i can do without them for now.

and yes, would definalty do Tifa :D

Ive tried "acquiring" it twice now and both times Ive gotten two french films!!!

• Advertisement

There is no english version, Slurms. What difference does it make?

No, I've gotten two different French Films. Not Advent Children!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally got to see it and I have to say I'm not impressed. The visuals were very impressive and the action was very impressive if a little over the top but it can be forgiven for that. However the story wasn't great at all and in many ways contradicted the story of FFVII especially in it's disregard for
    brining back dead characters, yes you Rufus.

There are a lot of things that annoyed me about the story.
    I don't see how Jenova would ressurect Sephiroth over ressurecting herself. Sephiroth was after all a puppet being used by Jenova to ressurect herself. She could have done the same with Kadaj. Seems he was just brought back because the fans like him.

It seems that they tried to please fans by showing more of the characters they know but in doing so have messed up what the fans really loved about the game, the story and the characters human reactions to the story. I doubt people wanted to see their characters performing super human feats especially when it has come at the expense of this huge missed oppurtunity. My favourite scens in FFVII haven't been the action packed scenes but the ones when involving the characters, cloud and aerith in the church, tifa and cloud in the lifestream, barret and dynes past etc. They should have kept it to Uematsu's plan and left it alone instead of appeasing the shareholders with a surefire profit maker.

It's not altogether bad just not worthy of the title.

I don't see how Jenova would ressurect Sephiroth over ressurecting herself. Sephiroth was after all a puppet being used by Jenova to ressurect herself. She could have done the same with Kadaj. Seems he was just brought back because the fans like him.

i had just assumed she couldnt bring herself back like that, cause alot of the green stuff in the canister (jenove cells??) had fallen out, after rufas shot it. she brought back Sephiroth because he could do whatever was needed to bring her back again. but i could be wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought the same but remember right at the end of FFVII when Sephiroth faced Cloud without Jenova to strengthen him. He was in fact quite weak and was beaten soundly by Cloud. I'm sure Kadaj would be of sufficient strength to revive Jenova by carrying out the reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yeah I was suprised when it was revealed Rufus was still alive; suprised, confused and a little dissapointed. I can't see how anybody could argue that he wasn't killed off in FFVII. Seems to me like they wanted to cram in as many original characters as possible. Rufus making an appearance really served no purpose in my opinion, it wasn't necessary. And of course we have what amounts to nothing more than cameos by Yuffie, Cid, Red etc. But the screen time of these characters didn't really bother me, there's only so much you can fit into a 90 minute film.

The super-human fights. I really didn't get this. On one hand I enjoyed them, they were certainly spectacular and in keeping with the whole Anime side of things. But it just didn't makes sense. Avalanche wasn't a super-hero league. They were meant to be everyday citizens of Midgar who made a stand against Shinra. Yet in the film all the characters can perform Matrix-esque feats of dexterity. There's more fighting in the air than there is on solid groud.
    Worst example of this I thought was Vincent as he saved Cloud from the 3 brothers. A hint at what Dirge of Cerberus might contain...I hope not... Also the fact that materia seemed to play little part in things further detached the film from the game.

I agree, my favourite scenes in the game were the ones that were character driven. But the time it took to develop these individual sub-plots and scenes in the game was more than the lenght of the film itself! I really wasn't expecting the film to go deeply into any of the characters, not even Cloud. I view this film as just an additional FMV, not an attempt to further the development of either the story or the characters. And as such, I really enjoyed it.

ya, i agree that some of the fights were way over the top, but i still loved them. and i was happy they were really powerful, since by the time i cleared FFVII my chars were bloody overpowered. was kinda worried after the first fight where Cloud got soundly kicked by Kadaj's gang, but he renewed my faith during the Bahamut fight scene.

watched it again last night, and my fav bits now are:
    Seeing Aeris and Zach at the end, or when Cloud is going to Ajit, and the vision he has about Aeris, where he asks to be forgiven.
    and when Cloud starts bitchslapping Bahamut, with the cool music. dammit it rocks

i'd love to get a better translated version though, or learn japanese ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

best music in that filmfor me has to be when you see Kadaj and Rufus talking about reunion.

Loved the music in it other than the music that played during the Tifa fight in the church. What an utterly terrible remix.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Favourite music was during the open sequence with the voiceover.

• Advertisement

The JENOVA remix was excellent, in fact my favourite piece in the film, I thought and the sort of metally edge they had going with Onw Winged Angel was nice too.

The soundtrack will be one to watch for.

The voices well pretty much what I imagined they'd sound like, except I always imagined Sephiroths voice as being more drawn out.

Think the soundtrack comes with Advent Children as part of a bundle in Japan. i might consider buying it if it does when it comes out over here.

Em it seems I got a version without subtitles, anything I can do do understand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Slurms wrote:
    Em it seems I got a version without subtitles, anything I can do do understand it?

Learn Japanese?

Crap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Loved the JENOVA remix, Is it the version done by the Black Mages? It sounds slightly different but still awesome

Use the subtitle files. It's explained somewhere in this post.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Somewhat off topic but a big congrats to Square for delaying the US release again. So now we've to wait until January to get a DVD that has English subtitles. *sighs* Put them on the freakin' Japanese release so I can buy it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Slurms wrote:
    You could take it back to the....ahem.....shop i guess and get a new subtitled version, that may take a while though of course.

Or maybe we could all put together our own custom finalfantasy.boards.ie dubbed version for it. Thatd be sweet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

My 2c on the film:
    Very disappointing to be honest. The geostigmata plotline was a complete bore, a bit confusing(granted that just might be me not being smart enough, or crappy subtitles) and ultimately just wasn't epic enough.

Especially when you compare it to the initial 5mins of the film where Marlene(i think) performs a voiceover of the events of 2 years previously. It was the only part i truely enjoyed. Those scenes summarized the original game perfectly and sent shivers down my spine :) (that choir track in those voiceover scenes is particularly excellent!)

After that, well, i think it was all downhill. Its a big shame there wasn't more of the better characters that made the original game what it was - Barrett, Red XIII, Cid.

Aside: I actually think, that if Square can put together a real QUALTY voice-acting cast (and i mean MGS standards) for the US release, then that could easily make a poor film into a decent one.

4/10

Advertisement