Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent children leaked with English subs apparently

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

I quite enjoyed it although I had pretty low expectations considering how the FF franchise is declining from its previously high quality story driven games to the drivel of X and X-2.

That said I think I enjoyed the film mainly because of the fantastic music and the way it was used rekindled my memories of first playing the game.

I also found the Turks somewhat amusing!

Overall the film is very heavy on the action, very light on the story, which pretty much somes up square-ennix these days.

I'd give 6.7, might have been lower but for the saving grace of one winged angel and omnislash!

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Too aerodynamic and over the top for my liking... Fair enough it was based on a game that contained amazing and outright impossible fantasy special moves and characters, but the majority of the film just seemed to focus on dancing and prancing. I found the main plot line painfully uninteresting, and spent most of the time wondering when the 'real' characters would come into it, and was dissapointed at them merely obtaining a cameo role, except for Tifa. As for the fights, the only one I enjoyed was that between Reno & Rude against the 'other' two, where you could clearly see what was going on. All the other ones involved nothing more than flying around with sparks in the air, or jetting around like a matrix remake, which was sickening.

Also, they seemed to focus more on 'sub' characters besides the main ones, sub characters being Reno, Rude, Rufus, Marlene, Denzel etc... Anyone else just appeared, spoke a line or two, then started dancing around.

I'm a fan of FFVII, but I feel that no matter what they try, they will 'never' obtain anything remotely as epic as the game, and the appearance of Sephiroth was, despite being 'mildly' entertaining, too short. I mean, for the number one most popular game bad guy to appear for about seven minutes of fighting in a film remake of the after events of the game is, simply put, a disasterous choice. If he was to come back in any shape or form at all, he should have come back in full swing, and if they had used him properly, you wouldn't have cared about what your initial thoughts of the film where, because you would have been completely roped right into it regardless.

However, I won't deny I did enjoy watching it the first time, despite the translation also leaving something to be desired, but I certainly wouldn't hold it in too high a regard.

PS. I hope none of the above is regarded as a spoiler. I've no idea how to envelope text, but I didn't think any of the above was too revealing. If it is, please edit accordingly.

PSS. I fully understand that all of the above is merely my 'opinion'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I thought it was OK. Based purely on action and none of the storyline magic that made FFVII what it is was, but still enjoyable nonetheless. I'll definitely buy when the English version comes out,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i watched it thinking of it just as a film that was vaguely about a game i love.in that respect i thought it was excellent.Of course it can't live up to the game...and i didn't expect it to do so.I ****ing loved it and i can't deny it even though it hurts FF more than helping :)

eh ringtone....hilarious!!!
    Loved the music in it other than the music that played during the Tifa fight in the church. What an utterly terrible remix.
    thought the music was unbelievable myself,suited things so well.I loved the 'remix' with tifa in the church too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kdoc

Just watched Advent Children last night with the fan subs, holy **** its awsome, the perfect game movie, the fights are insane and the moves they pull off (motor bike chases for anyone who's seen it) All iv too say now is WOW, am off to watch it again. later

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i watched it 2 and a half times last night...i'm wrecked :D

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Pretty much all of the music in the film was a revamp of the original FFVII game music, however the only one track that I can't find is the tune that kicks up as Reno & Rude fight the gang members. Despite the FFVIII game battle music already being revamped for the Tifa Church fight, the Reno & Rude fight music sounds as if it's the same tune, yet given a completely different remix. I could be wrong, of course, but to me it sounds very similar to the game battle theme also.

If anyone happens to know the name of the tune, please throw it my way. It's a cool track.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Well the soundtrack is being released in a few days in Japan, the tracklist is here, where you can hear a few samples awell (mmm, The Promised Land... :D ). You might be able to figure out the track with that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ya, the characters were way overpowered....but then again, give me 2 years to lvl up my ffvii chars, and they'd be able to do it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

mmm, The Promised Land...
    My favourite track, utterly fantastic. Is it an AC original or a originally from the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

SofaKing wrote:
    My favourite track, utterly fantastic. Is it an AC original or a originally from the game?

AC origianal I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ok i dont think this is against the rules so im gonna ask. if it is just delete it.

I have the bien.xvid file of the movie which i thikn most people have. i am lookin to burn it to dvd.

i usually use mediostream(neodvd) to burn avi to dvd. but i was wonderin if someone could tell me how to do so with the subtitles to0?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I only got around to watching it now.
    My overall verdict: It was a cool film; not a good film. It looked great, but the story was really really superfluous.
    I think the film could've stood to have been 30 mins to an hour longer (without additional fight scenes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fallacy

I got AC....ummm from a friend? Anyways, I haven't watched it yet and it hurts! Because I want to put subs on it, how do I do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I regard FFVII as my favourite game ever and I was utterly disappointed with this film. The plot was nonsensical, the majority of characters appeared to please fans and the ending was trite and disappointing. I don't know what has happened to Square since they released FFVII, it seems they peaked with that game and then started to pump out filth.

The ending of FFVII (the game) was perfect and this film was tacked on as a cynical marketing ploy, simple as. Everything was resolved at the end of the game!, what purpose did the films story serve?, why did
    Sephiroth
    get resurrected?,
    his soul ceased to EXIST at the end of FFVII as the only place he remained was in Cloud's mind and Cloud clearly destroys him at the end in the one on one confrontation.

Thank you for spoiling it, sure you censored his name but you could have done the whole sentence. And did you have English subs? If so how did you get them in?

RopeDrink wrote:
    Too aerodynamic and over the top for my liking... Fair enough it was based on a game that contained amazing and outright impossible fantasy special moves and characters, but the majority of the film just seemed to focus on dancing and prancing. I found the main plot line painfully uninteresting, and spent most of the time wondering when the 'real' characters would come into it, and was dissapointed at them merely obtaining a cameo role, except for Tifa. As for the fights, the only one I enjoyed was that between Reno & Rude against the 'other' two, where you could clearly see what was going on. All the other ones involved nothing more than flying around with sparks in the air, or jetting around like a matrix remake, which was sickening.

Also, they seemed to focus more on 'sub' characters besides the main ones, sub characters being Reno, Rude, Rufus, Marlene, Denzel etc... Anyone else just appeared, spoke a line or two, then started dancing around.

I'm a fan of FFVII, but I feel that no matter what they try, they will 'never' obtain anything remotely as epic as the game, and the appearance of Sephiroth was, despite being 'mildly' entertaining, too short. I mean, for the number one most popular game bad guy to appear for about seven minutes of fighting in a film remake of the after events of the game is, simply put, a disasterous choice. If he was to come back in any shape or form at all, he should have come back in full swing, and if they had used him properly, you wouldn't have cared about what your initial thoughts of the film where, because you would have been completely roped right into it regardless.

However, I won't deny I did enjoy watching it the first time, despite the translation also leaving something to be desired, but I certainly wouldn't hold it in too high a regard.

PS. I hope none of the above is regarded as a spoiler. I've no idea how to envelope text, but I didn't think any of the above was too revealing. If it is, please edit accordingly.

PSS. I fully understand that all of the above is merely my 'opinion'.

And this post DIDN'T spoil it for you Fallacy?. Give me a break.

I didn't read that one.

So, just so my posts aren't used as such a reference again, how do I envelope the text?

Also, you can tell Sepiroth was going to make an appearance in the film from the trailer, anyway, considering it showed him in the infamous 'Wading Through The Fire' clip from the game... Otherwise, it would have been one dissapointing pimp method.

type spoiler enclosed in [] then the message, type /spoiler enclosed in [] when finished

• Advertisement

Like this?

Innnnteerressting.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Maybe this has been posted before, but for a long time Eminem was listed as one of the voice actors for the English dubbing, was even listed on IMBD. Now it's gone...

Just a bad joke?!

Yeah he was listed as providing a voice over for a character named Mr Coates (the corel prison chief in the game), seeing as this character isn't in the movie, it's a hoax alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

MY Brother saw it in DCU last week. Despite the 'wrongness' of it all and he said it's absolutely brillant but will mean nothing to anyone that doesn't know the Game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I saw it and loved every last second of it! :D
    But I didn't like that Sephiroth was so EVIL. After all, we all know that he was just misunderstood! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dinh_Gunslinger

I got it from a friend a few weeks back when he came back from Japan. We coded the subtitles to English and hey presto...Awesome movie!!! Huge fan of the FF series but VII is definetely my favourite, hands down.

Can't wait to buy it when it's released with the voice overs

rolandeschain.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Can't wait to buy it when it's released with the voice overs

If rumours are anything to go by I can imagine the European release being of incredibly poor quality in terms of voice acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Seen it, watched it 3 times, and its amazing every time :D:D
    The 2nd time i watched it with a friend who had never played FF before, and he could appreciate how brilliant it was and really enjoyed it

Though for us FF fans it will mean a lot more and youll cop on to a few things a lot quicker and understand more :D:)

Also, for anyone who hasnt seen it, get "Last Order" aswell
    That follows the events of Zack and Cloud and Sephiroth during the Mako Reactor episode

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Last Order?:confused:
    Never heard of it. Is it a fan vid? An anime?
    You've piqued my interest, were can I find out more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Its an animated short that accompanies AC on the Japanese dvd. Its set in the intervening years between VII and AC.

Advertisement