Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art

Options
  • 12-09-2005 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

Is it possible to do the course in one year and get a decent result?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It's possible to do in a year. However it doesn't seem like you're willing to put in much effort. Obviously it will require much more work if you've never done art before (and it will become an inconvinience sometimes) to get an honours grade. Plus besides the practical, you've also got history of art and appreciation to go through. It's not as simple as it seems.

I'd give it a pass tbh. There are easier subjects out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Well in doing it since first year and still finding it hard.But you could get a decent grade if you focused and put aload of time and effort.It would be a great advantage if your good at drawing/painting/crafts/etc as they gets you marks aswell on the leaving cert.
    If you looking for a book i find that the less stress more success is great.It has the important details and sums it up most chapters as the book has information thats not worth learning.My teacher usually gives us handouts because some chapters on the book are useless.

What level are you aiming for too?Id say your best bet would be Ordinary as you only have a year to complete the course.This is only my view but do whatever you want.It will take pressure off you though.

The painters are hard to remember so make sure you really study them if your going to do art.

Theres my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

It's possible to do in a year. However it doesn't seem like you're willing to put in much effort. Obviously it will require much more work if you've never done art before (and it will become an inconvinience sometimes) to get an honours grade. Plus besides the practical, you've also got history of art and appreciation to go through. It's not as simple as it seems.

I'd give it a pass tbh. There are easier subjects out there.

Haha okay, what made you think that it seemed like im not willing to put in much effort? Im aiming fror A1 since I need the points.
    I love art and regret not doing it last year...I find art history intresting so that will be a bonus I guess.
    I did art for my JC and got an A.

Another reason why Im choosing art over other subjects is because most subjects involve business which I hate!

Im just wondering would it be possible to get a A or B at least (Higher level)
    If you looking for a book i find that the less stress more success is great.It has the important details and sums it up most chapters as the book has information thats not worth learning.My teacher usually gives us handouts because some chapters on the book are useless.
    Hey thanks for that less stress books are usually very helpfull.

Oh right so your good at art then.If you find the history side intredting and put in the effort getting a A will be possible.Since you start to learn about the history side in 4th/5th year you have missed a year so id advise some lunchtime/afterschool study to catch up on the work.Ask your teacher nicely if he/she can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

We only started doing art history in the last month or so of 5th year. I'm going to be doing major work on art history, because there's no way we're going to get half the course finished - we haven't even got the 1st two chapters on Irish art done yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

the art history course can be done in a year, easy. I had one, one-hour class of it every week and I had it done twice over by the time the exam came. okay, I only got a B2 but I hated every second of that bloody class. if you like art history, you'll do fine.

I started the art history in fourth year and we got most of it done.We did revise alot of chapters and redid most chapters too.Its hard enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I thought the Art history part wasnt bad-i got to check out my paper and it wasnt too bad, i thought i was gonna do really **** at it-but i didnt. The practical was ****ed!I did grand on the life sketchin but they marked me really tuff on the other stuff--got like 40/100 in the Imaginative Comp, like maybe 55 but not 40! Then the design 47/100-ridiculous! I deserved a high C.

Oh well. I'm attending Gorey School of Art now and have my classes starting up 2morro. Its great there so i'm not worried. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Learn it and you'll do well, as for covering it in one year, I dont see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Aporia wrote:
    Haha okay, what made you think that it seemed like im not willing to put in much effort?

You barely gave any info, just seemed like a passing thought to me. Didn't want to give you the impression that Art is a dos subject, and that anyone can easily come out with a "decent result" in one year's tuition.

However, since you actually have done art in secondary school before, aswell as getting an A in your Junior Cert, then you're well capable. Just catch up a little bit in History and Appreciation and you'll do fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Alright thanks for the help guys.
    Im sure ill do fine as long as I work.
    I was hearing from some people that it was impossible...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Its just not what people expect compared to the Junior Cert. The creative element takes a backseat to Art History, which is quite concise and will take alot of memorising essays. If you have a head for this, go for it. If you're into Art you should be fine as the Art History is quite interesting for those who are

Advertisement