Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresher's First Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

From anyone I've seen... 2nd science with biology subjects is a bit of a killer. Crazy hours.
    Today... in at 9. Ouch. Kirby HATES mornings. Had databases at 9, then a few hours of timewasting, going to get my student card and milking the science block wireless internet access :). Multimedia at 12, seems pretty cool.

My timetable... it's looking like I'm going to have 15 hours a week. In 10-4 on Monday, 9-6 Tuesday :(, either 9-4 or 11-4 Wednesday (depends what multimedia practical I get), 12-5 Thursday, 10-11 Friday. It could have been so much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

damn you comp sci heads!!! could someone tell me what i need to get my student card?? my old student card+id?? i got no confirmation email from ucd after paying online :mad: do i need proof.

edit: saw what i need in another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

So far I have had one lecture. I have another tomorrow, and an introductory meeting. (Anyone else who thinks that an introductory meeting on the fourth day of college is a bit strange and silly, stick your hand up).

That brings my hours this week to 3.

Roll on finals, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

Children's Literature today was pretty damned boring I thought and he's doing yet another introduction on Friday, only time I've felt sleepy in class so far.

Bio Psychology started out slow but that bit about the monkeys was great, she's probably my favourite lecturer so far :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Andore wrote:
    Bio Psychology started out slow but that bit about the monkeys was great, she's probably my favourite lecturer so far :D

That's my favourite class at the moment :) I had Comparative Revolutions for the first time today, and that's looking really good, too. Hugh Geogh was the lecturer -- he's pretty funny(no, there's no comma between those 2 words :D), interesting and clear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Oh God what was algorithmic problems about???? :eek:
    And where did that guy say the Comp Sci notice board was, for the details about the BA Comp sci. meeting at 3. I wasn't listening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

Oh God what was algorithmic problems about???? :eek:
    And where did that guy say the Comp Sci notice board was, for the details about the BA Comp sci. meeting at 3. I wasn't listening!!!

It's in the computer science building. Go in and you'll see notice boards on your right. Walk past them and go right around the corner and you'll see it on the wall. That algorithmic stuff was confusing alright...I'm not quite sure what he asked us to do.

Oh my god yeah, algorithms was the worst class ever -- very painful! and boring, and confusing...

I can see that being the exam I have to retake in the Autumn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

DaveMcG wrote:
    Oh my god yeah, algorithms was the worst class ever -- very painful! and boring, and confusing...

Talk about a negative attitude or wha'! :rolleyes: It's only 3 days in man! Do some study, reading etc. and you'll be grand.

I thoght i had left algebra and stuff back in secondary school.

• Advertisement

Lol... I see nobody told you that maths is a big part of CS :p

I knew there would be somemaths in it but it is too much too soon.
    I worked like a loony just to pass honours LC maths and now it looks like i'll have to do it all over again.

Well it looks like you've only got the one unit of a mathematical subject... so that'll be over at Christmas. So don't worry. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Yeah, it's just till christmas so you'll be grand. To be honest, it looks more like a specific way of thinking rather than extremely difficult maths.
    The BA Comp Sci notice board is in the Comp Sci & Informatics building. Go in, straight down the stairs and take a right. The other noticeboards in the place tell you where it is :D

*holds in comment about arts students*

Hey, it was around a corner! Didn't say anything about that in the requirements for the course :o

Waltons wrote:
    Yeah, it's just till christmas so you'll be grand. To be honest, it looks more like a specific way of thinking rather than extremely difficult maths.
    The BA Comp Sci notice board is in the Comp Sci & Informatics building. Go in, straight down the stairs and take a right. The other noticeboards in the place tell you where it is :D

psh, now you'll see me.

Sorry, didne see your post :o *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

DaveMcG wrote:

Who is the lecturer for that course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kas

DaveMcG wrote:

I missed that class today (don't ask).

Can anyone recount anything of importance that was said (the noticeboard, a BA Comp Sci meeting?)

• Advertisement

The lecturer's Henry McLoughlin.
    Kas, there was something said about a BA Comp Sci meeting tomorrow at 3 o clock. There'll be details on the BA Comp Sci board (directions above).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Henry is sound. Yea his course can be a little daunty at first. I think the tutorials help. And henry is good about having people calling into him and asking him to explain stuff. He's very patient.

Hey, do we HAVE TO go to the meeting today? (BA CSc) Cos my parents come home from Spain today, and I wanna see them :( The house is mental without them! lol

Did you get to the meeting, Dave? I had a lecture....

Nah, all my tutorials seem to not have been on, so I just went home about 1.15... Had one lecture today, score, lol. Did anyone get to that meeting? What was discussed?!

DaveMcG wrote:
    Nah, all my tutorials seem to not have been on, so I just went home about 1.15... Had one lecture today, score, lol. Did anyone get to that meeting? What was discussed?!

I checked the notice board in the morning and didn't see anything up at the time. I had a lecture at the time he was talking about anyway.

I went. Twas useless and I missed the start of a lecture too, no loss though that was pants aswell.
    He was sayin stuff about one on one meetings he's gonna have with each of the students :eek: i think they are check ups to see how we're coping.
    he also mentioned stuff about a mailing list where we'll get stuff off the Comp Sci dept or somethig to the like :confused: ......... i didn't listen to most of it.
    I was up at 6 and i'm only home now so I was tired sorry.

What other subjects are you doing? Sounds like a very informative meeting. One on one meetings....hooray!

Info Studies and History!!!!! The meeting was alright, I'm just annoyed at it being timed during one of my lectures and having me runing around campus like an idiot. The Lecture was kind of empty so me coming in late was really obvious and the lecturer gave me a look like this :p .....no wait this :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Info Studies and History!!!!! The meeting was alright, I'm just annoyed at it being timed during one of my lectures and having me runing around campus like an idiot. The Lecture was kind of empty so me coming in late was really obvious and the lecturer gave me a look like this :p .....no wait this :mad:

Do you know if you have a lecturer called Barbara Traxlor-Brown for Info Studies? If you do..... cry!

Advertisement