Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPRS rates and email sizes???

• 12-09-2005 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Wonder if somebody could clarify this. Been playing around with GPRS email retrieval on my T630. Here are some stats taken from the phone...

For each of the tests I created an email on my pc and then retrieved it on my mobile using the gprs.

First i sent a blank email (blank body & blank subject)

Phones Stats:

recieved 3824bytes
    sent 1524bytes

Even though the email is empty, outlook reported it to be 3kb ?

Then i sent an email with 100 characters

Characters______Email Size(bytes)________Download{Rx______Sent}
    0______________3084__________________3824_____________1524
    100____________3084__________________3824_____________1524
    500____________4096__________________6330_____________1628
    1000___________5120__________________6321_____________1748

What i cant understand is how O2 can measure a 4page email as only 4kb? Looks to me that an email with 1000 characters measure at 5120bytes (outgoing from pc) but combined gprs traffic to dload to my mobile measures at 8069bytes (6321rx & 1748tx).

Am i missing something here?

Also anyone know if the charge is for the recieved data or is it the total sent & recieved kb.

Link to O2 gprs tarrifs

TARIFFS TAKEN FROM O2 WEBSITE

Surf 1
    WAP based services - Using a Mobile Web phone for a heavier user of O2's WAP service:

Applications
    E-mail 4 pages (per day) (4KB)
    News 4 pages (per day) (4KB)
    Business 4 pages (per day) (4KB)
    Weather 4 pages (per day) (4KB)
    Horoscopes 4 pages (per day) (4KB)
    Sports Results 4 pages (per day) (4KB)
    Shopping 4 pages (per day) (4KB)
    Gaming 4 pages (per day) (4KB)
    Banking 3 pages (per day) (3KB)

Total
    1015 pages (1015KB < 1MB)
    Optimum Price Plan - Surf 1 EUR7.50

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

email size is a bit screwy - must be outlook express. Typical email messages for me are 1-3k!..

Been a while since I did it over GPRS but 3-5k was typical for me, so O2 aren't too far off.

And yes - both upload and download are counted - more than enough reason to stop using it. I signed up over 2 years ago to GPRS on O2 and the prices haven't changed since then - €15 for 5MB is outrageous!

That said - it did streamline my online viewing - I mostly use PDA sized websites now, as they're faster, less pictures, and generally smaller download sizes!

-RikD.

Advertisement