Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welcome Carlow Students of 05/06

• 12-09-2005 10:19pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Welcome to all ye new Carlow IT students and welcome back to all existing ones. I'm starting this thread so people can post tips, guides and help with certain aspects of the college. A few of the college groups are active on here, but mainly just Compsoc and Netsoc. I'll ask the respective admins/presidens of these socs to post some info on here also. It would be nice to see some other groups represented.

If you have any special meetings, agms, events you want to advertise, as long as its college or society related PM me and i'll put it up. Depending on the announcment I'll post an announcment.

Nearly everything is covered in the charter as regards rules, so post away.

TomTom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

Right, this is a short info burst on "BitBucket" which is Carlow IT's networking society.

Basically we provide numerous means of communication for our members. The following is a quick rundown of the main services we offer:
    • Permanent email addressing (@netsoc.itcarlow.ie and @bitbucket.ie) that can be accessed from inside or outside the college.
    • Webspace for your own personal sites. Share with the world the mindless drivel you find interesting ;) and if you ask really nicely we can provide you with a subdomain for your website .. "user.bitbucket.ie".
    • Storage space for your files that can be accessed anywhere (going to be a BIG space increase from last year!)
    • The only place you're going to be allowed to have real time chat within the college. This is going to be done with our standard IRC server (which is connected to many other colleges around ireland) and also with the new Jabber instant message server (still going through beta testing.. but all is look rosey for a new term release!)
    • A place to host your college related projects. Be they ASP / PHP or (if you ask really nicely) JSP. Also, you can have access to your own database.. either MySQL or Postresql.
    • Numerous technical talks given throughout the year.. starting basic and moving upwards! After the first few "intro" talks, we'd be open to any suggestions members may have.. from progression on college related talks, to web based development, to games programming, to security auditing and protection... whatever!
    • Also, it's difficult to put the amount of weight on this point that it deserves, but you'll be a member of the technically minded computer society... a place you can find answers to any computer related issues you may be having, chat and make friends with like minded folk and generally talk nerd without agro from the "norms" ;)

Any querys/questiones don't hesitate to come visit the website www.bitbucket.ie , or drop us an email admin@bitbucket.ie .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Good day both s4dd and TomTom i am a first year attending the Gorey School of Art which is apart of the Wexford campus and i was wondering if these means of communication are valid for a such user as myself? :) Do you know of any of the students in our section to be using these services?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 4r(4ng3L

Im a little annoyed that you called "them" the "norms"!! WTF!!!! We are the normal people and they are the freaks, they just dont realise it yet.
    p.s. im a 1st year an il prob join ur society :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

keep this thread clean, i'll start a new "netsoc" thread for your queries

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kentar

Such a helpful guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

are ye all feeling aclimatised to the IT yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Well I've been here about 5 years now so I wanna be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

aclimatised is one thing messed up is after 5 years, when i go back it'll be my 4th lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

This is my fourth year at the college... Hope to be there for at least another 4, They might give me a job in the SU... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

First Year, xavier and the like were probably hoping that i wouldnt find them here, but i did hahaha :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Nooooooo, I take it jester and the other formidable spammers will be following you here... :( Joking... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye all them compsoc spammers could really mess this place up if they found out about it!

ps 5th year here. leavin after this no matter wat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I got this year and next year still to go. 6 years to do a 4 year degree...... GO ME!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 anfionn

Welcome to the clever factory, for making clever people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Nooooooo, I take it jester and the other formidable spammers will be following you here... :( Joking... ;)

im not going to tell them, i want him banned in the other one, and thats not working with admins i can talk to, so what chance have i with the boards admins:rolleyes:

hey!! i still have my sig!! x-caliblah said it would get cut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Hello evrybody thanks for the kind welcome (LOL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gohan

Kentar wrote:
    Such a helpful guy!
    a ken u big gorilagorilla.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kentar

gohan wrote:
    a ken u big gorilagorilla.gif

I'm Impressed Dave :rolleyes: Did it take you the whole six months to come up with that?

Advertisement