Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deisel Prices - Discrimination

Options
  • 12-09-2005 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Agri Deisel cost €0.69 in my local fuel station whilst Road Deisel costs €1.13

Now why does the farmer get a better deal than me... he already gets huge grants from Europe on a regular basis. This is discrimination.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Because he is using it as an economic input to his produce. You are using it to go down the offy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Heck, how many mornings (on my way to work) have I been caught up behind the trailer-less tractor??? Moving his backside from field to field is hardly input?

Why can't the haulage industry use this fuel either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

one word. TAX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Haulage industry get the VAT back on it's Deisel prices.
    he already gets huge grants from Europe on a regular basis

Yeah and he just pockets that money and doesn't buy fertilizer, pay vets, pay for immunizations etc....

If it's so great being a farmer why aren't you one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There is 13.5% VAT included in the price of marked diesel.

Tractors are "industrial machinery" so why should the fuel be taxed the same as road usage. Marked diesel is also used in generators, the refrigerator units on trucks. So it's not just limited to the farming community.

• Advertisement

Danno wrote:
    Heck, how many mornings (on my way to work) have I been caught up behind the trailer-less tractor??? Moving his backside from field to field is hardly input?
    Not very often I'd imagine. I doubt if anyone would use a tractor for commuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

BrianD wrote:
    Not very often I'd imagine. I doubt if anyone would use a tractor for commuting.
    I used a tractor for commuting to and from school in my teenage years.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Bond-007 wrote:
    I used a tractor for commuting to and from school in my teenage years.

There's always one ..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Min age to drive tractor : 16, car : 17
    I know of at least 4 people in my school who drove to school on tractors when it was raining etc. Faster than a bicycle or walking :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

head to The Oasis nightclub in Carrick on a Saturday night sometime. Been there twice and both times there were at least 3-4 tractors on the car park :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

LFCFan wrote:
    head to The Oasis nightclub in Carrick on a Saturday night sometime. Been there twice and both times there were at least 3-4 tractors on the car park :)

Brilliant! Me goes off to look at buy and sell for masey, if you see me on the N4 next week give me a wave. How much do they charge at the toll bridge for a tractor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Lol! :d :d :d

How much do they charge at the toll bridge for a tractor

That would be interesting Since a tractor is a prohibited vehicle:D I wonder what they would do?

I have seen tractors on the M7 around naas from time to time. The law don't see to bother them.

I've seen the Gardai stop a tractor and water tanker that used to travel on the M50 every morning. If the tractor can travel above the minimum m-way speed is it allowed?

Ref the min age of 16. Is this for using it in a field. I think you have to have a licence to drive it on the road plus it also has to be registered for road use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

My Rules of the Road book is in the attic (and of course they don't publish it online :rolleyes: ), but I do seem to remember that a tractor is prohibited from motorways. There's no motorways around these parts, so I can't remember what's on the sign when entering a motorway either.

As for the permitted age, you can get a licence (for using on the road) for a tractor at 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

If it can maintain a speed of +50KPH then it's allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

New Tractors can do over 40MPH plus they are thirsty devil's i'd say if the new tractor got 2 - 5MPG it'd be doing good, hook on a trailer with 20 or 30 tonnes of crushed limestone and you won't be long seeing the Fuel Gauge dropping. It is cheaper because these thing guzzel it and it is an economice encentive to help poor :D (€100K+ a year) farmers make more money. It is also marked it has a green dye added so the custom's boys can dip your tank and see if your burining it. Up north it is red AFAIK, for years racketeers have being removing the dye from it and selling it on cut price to truckers etc. Anyway if want to save money burn lidl chip oil as bio diesel, the web is full of info on how to make it and even "Green Issues" has a thread on it afaik.

Don't for get you must still pay fuel tax on chip oil. If you want to cook chips then no problem but stick it in a car you must pay. The customs boys will smell you a mile off. :D

Advertisement