Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo 2 Live

• 12-09-2005 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Alright... finally got Halo2 going live... and I realise I suck. For some reason I'm grand when it comes to kickin ass on the split screen games, but I get destroyed by live players. Anybody have any tips etc or a nice clan thats willing to take on a newbie apprentice? I'm grand when it comes to tactics and strategies, but just one on one I reeeeeally seem to suck. I got invited into a clan there after a game of CTF, and it was grand until we went in for some Team Slayer and we got beaten because of my inability to kill people (they started hurling abuse at me afterwards,so I assume I'm out of the clan.. ooo err).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I actually got rid of the game for that reason. I was sick of trying to play against stupid american kids that are cheating somehow (there are ways) . It's a great game but it's spoilt by it's online followers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Ah, I dont think thats it, I think my tactics are just ****e at the mo maybe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

One thing worth noting, at the bottom level in halo, tactics mean fúck all. Basically you're down there with a bunch of immature kids who can't play and you'll have to drag yourself out. If you are lucky enough to win a game, and you personally do ok you should rise a rank per win until about level 9 or 10. It's very hard, no matter how good you are, to do well when you're with morons who don't back you up and just want to get the flag and not play as a team. One annoying thing about Halo 2 ranking is that in BTB and the like, your personal performance only matters if you win. You could be kicking ass, get 100 medals and 100 kills with no deaths, but if your team draws or loses it doesn't go onto your ranking.
    Now, one other thing to keep in mind is lag, something that you don't get in splitscreens. If you go for another player with a butt and they do to, chances are they'll beat you to it. If you try and jump a coming ghost, chances are it'll hit you even if you're over it. So you've got to be fractionally quicker whereever you can.
    Also things like sticks are harder online and the guns seem to control differently (lag issues again, I guess).
    Just keep going at it, and play lots of training games. If you're a good player you'll eventually get back into your groove.

Ah yeah, I think I'm a level 12 on a few playlists.... but I dunno, I'm still finding it hard to get the one on one kills, even when I'm pretty sure I've got them. Could be I'm not used to the Halo 2 weapons (learnt the game on ye olde Halo 1, just picked up Halo 2 the other day for the live fun)

ah, there ye go. The weapons are quite different, the SMG is much less reliable than the BR (standard weapon) on halo 1. the BR on halo2 is the same but shoots in bursts rather than constant.
    They rebalanced the weapons recently to make online play better, so it will be hard to get the hang of. Some tips (not sure if it applys to halo 1) always go for the head, BR sucks at close range, SMG sucks from far away, so does shotty, magnum and BR are lethal with headshots, so is shotgun but you have to be close.
    No matter what, you'll always have frustrating one on one moments, even when you should beat them, you don't always. Watch out for noob combos and scumbags using rockets up close.
    It will take some time to get used to the new weapons, but they are well balanced

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've noticed killing is much easier with the BR then the SMG... but I dunno, I always feel like I'm unloading clips and clips into people with the SMG and they just wont die! Die damn you die! Etc.
    Actually this thread has really put me in the mood to play halo... its alot better then Mech Assault 2 where once someones got a certain mech they're invincible.

yeah, and SMG can often be a terrible weapon, you have to be kind of close and it generally sucks against anyone with a bit of talent. I find, if you're stuck with an SMG, to just charge them while firing and then but once you can get close enough. Or duel wield SMGs, but this is still a pretty poor choice against a decent player.

Ah yeah, damn SMGs... they just sound so noisy and kick ass... I just cant help but feel I'm destroying people. Ah, went on it again last night and avoided the smg like the plague.. and it kinda worked out ok. Though for some reason the other teams were amazingly poor last night

Advertisement