Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.8 TDI Focus

• 12-09-2005 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads

Am thinking of buying a '99 or '00 1.8 TDI Focus.. Any experience with these or anything bad to say?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Economy wise that 1.8 diesel Focus will give you good mpg but from a performance point of view it is nowhere near as good as the French or German diesel engines of similar vintage. I think the 1.8 TDdi Focus was the old turbo diesel lump from the old Sierra and Mk1 Mondeo which was a dog. Totally unrefined, very sluggish and very noisy. I remember a neighbour of mine having a 95 Mondeo TD and it sounded like a tractor when idle.

If your budget can stretch I would go for the very good 1.8 TDCi 115bhp version which was introduced in the Focus in 2002. It had better economy and performance to match but these were very rare in Ireland due to the high price of them new plus I think they only came with the Ghia trim.

Might also be worth looking at a similar year Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110bhp or Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi 110bhp. Both are very nippy, give excellent mpg and are similar size to the Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

A mate of mine has a Golf 00' 1.9 TrDrI. It's the comfort line model that has 150bhp and I don't think he has any trouble with it. In around town he saves a fortune because the turbo doesn't kick in. If you can splash out i'd highly reccomend this model as it has the extra features such as ABS and traction control.... plus you just melt into those seats.

Advertisement