Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Club on Campus!

Options
  • 13-09-2005 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!

Anyone who wants to try and new sport, mmet new people have the craic with a bunch of sound peops should definitely check out UCDBJJ.

Our training times are Tues & Thurs from 5-6ish in the Sports Centre. Anyone who's interested can pop down for a class at anytime throughout the year. What I've noticed most about this club (as it's coach) is how all the more experienced hands are more than willing - eager, in fact - to help out new people and get them into the sport.

We'll be training this week, and I reckon it will be quiet enough as people are just getting into the groove again. Fresher's week is mad for every club so if you're interested definitely pop down this week and we can give you more attention.

For further info you can check out our website or email us at ucdbjj@gmail.com.

We also have one of the more lively forums on UCDSU.net, check it out here

Anyway, looking forward to the new year, and I hope to see some of you guys on the mats.

Peace Out,
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

what you failed to explain was what the hell BJJ meant? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu :)
    And if you want a grappling-based martial art, it's well worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

irlrobins wrote:
    what you failed to explain was what the hell BJJ meant? ;-)

From the club's website:
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a standing and ground grappling style. There are a variety of flips, throws, sweeps, take downs, chokes and locks. The goal of training is to teach you how to effectively neutralize an unexpected ground attack. For example, how would you handle an assailant who tackles you to the ground, sits on your chest and holds down your arms? What if this assailant outweighed you by 50, 80 or even 100 lbs.? How could you successfully defend yourself with someone that large? Well, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is your answer!

If you have any questions, just pm me or Colm, or start a thread on the club's message board.

Actually, you could always just ask them on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

If we're hijacking threads:

The soccer club is playing in the league cup final on campus next Tuesday (19th). It's the biggest game the club's played in a few years so it should be a good night if anyone wants to come along.

The only other club I'm in is Orienteering which is good for the athletics types. I'm in athletics aswell but I find running in forests and mountains more interesting than running round in circles on a track.

Ah lads, you could always start a new thread, you terrorist ba$tards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I tried BJJ briefly last year and did not stick with it. I regret that. It's alot of fun and the guys there are sound. I recommend it.

I might just take it up again this year if my timetable permits me...

Mr. Nice Guy,

You are in Arts, yes? Therefore there will be NO EXCUSES! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That doesn't sound very flexible. In fact, it sounds a bit dictatoral.

I say try the ELS instead.

We have free cookies.

MMhm, cookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Blush_01 wrote:
    That doesn't sound very flexible. In fact, it sounds a bit dictatoral.

I say try the ELS instead.

We have free cookies.

MMhm, cookies.
    Hey I'm swayed.

I'll sign whatever and wherever the hell you want me to, just show me to my cookies!!!

I mean... The student body has integrity, you think you can just bribe your way to the top? For shame, for SHAME.

P.S. Do I still get a cookie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Seb, you'll always get a cookie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Well in the spirit of the thread I may as well make my plug...join Ninjutsu!ninja1.gifninja3.gifninja2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

blondie83 wrote:
    Well in the spirit of the thread I may as well make my plug...join Ninjutsu!ninja1.gifninja3.gifninja2.gif

Tell me more about this Ninjitsu! I wana join a martial art . I did Kempo before. Want something more..... ya know....... WACK!

Jesus is a good rapper.

(Edited by Kas.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kas

I'm not long back from the 'dam, don't mention the cookies!

Since everyone is plugging their societies, I will too and I would urge you to take the plunge and join PatSoc.

We're always looking for new members. All you need to do is permit us to have 10% of your income and to pledge yourself totally to Pat and all his subsidiary products.

Membership forms can be obtained in select toilets around UCD.

Yours sincerely,

Ned,
    Club-Secretary of PatSoc.

Grimes wrote:
    Tell me more about this Ninjitsu! I wana join a martial art . I did Kempo before. Want something more..... ya know....... WACK!
    pm sent...well pm will be sent anyway when I find it...Goddamn pm's! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well if we're pimping martial arts clubs... *points to sig*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

wanna get into some martial art or other.
    However i don't have a clue what to go for. Guess next week will hopefully give me some insight.

Sure just go along and give them all a try and do the one you like the best.(Pretty much all the clubs will let people try a few classes without joining) We've an excellent selection of martial arts clubs here in UCD, so there should be something to suit everyones tastes :)

There's also Shaolin Kung Fu.^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Well since this is hijack city, join a gaa soc, its mad craic theres great going out, keep fit and you get to tell girls your caman is 36 inches long, some of the international girls dont know what that means *haw haw* but it sounds impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You really should join BJJ...! The best martial art in the college, in my opinion. I did it for a few months in Colm's club, and it was quite good indeed! I was the beginner of the class, so I got my ass whooped for the most part :p But there'll be tonnes of beginners joining the club in Freshers week, so everyone will have a good chance. It's a very handy martial art, indeed! Being able to control your opponent on the ground is important, cos even if you're fighting a huge, muscular bloke, you can smother their punches, etc. It evens it up alot, so pure strength is not important, really.

I'll be joining, hopefully you all will too, so that there'll be more beginners, and I'll be able to win more fights! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Join fencing, pointy sticks and all that. ;)
    Great if you're still looking for a sport to suit you. I joined last year and Im hooked now.
    Very social club too (Im the ents officer :D ). Also real cheap novice competition trip to schull in west cork at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

ihatepunx wrote:
    Martial Arts in UCD

Shaolin Kung Fu (thanks mng)
    Lau-gar Kickboxing
    Shotokan karate
    Tai-chi
    Boxing
    TKD
    Ninjitsu
    Brazilian Ju-jitsu
    Wrestling
    Judo
    Fencing
    Aikido

Colm what can you tell me about the Wrestling club? Greco? Free style? WWE? You coaching there too?
    Hey hows it going just thought Id let you know Muay Thai is coming to U.C.D. soon so you can add that to your list!!!;)
    Colm and Breadmonkey gave me some good tips and hints for the initial set up, thanks guys!!

RedRaven wrote:
    Hey hows it going just thought Id let you know Muay Thai is coming to U.C.D. soon so you can add that to your list!!!;)
    Colm and Breadmonkey gave me some good tips and hints for the initial set up, thanks guys!!

I'd be interested in doing Muay Thai.

Any more info for us?

myanmar wrote:
    It's a tough "ring sport" MNG, you sure you can handle it?

Dunno. I'd give it a go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I don't know much about martial arts so please bare with me but which of the martial arts in UCD would be best for defence and mental skills?

Do Thai if it happens and BJJ i suppose. I'd ignore Ninjutsu, Shaolin, Shotokan, Aikido and probably Laugar.

Had to be said really. Tbh, I was pretty p!ssed off with some of the sh!te I read at the Shaolin stand.

Dunno if any of you lads were down today. I was the one sporting the long hair. Anyone who wasn't there, call down at some stage and talk to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Colm what can you tell me about the Wrestling club? Greco? Free style? WWE? You coaching there too?

It's Freestyle. The main man there is Craig Brooker, who wrestled in High School in the States. He know his stuff. I'm not a coach there.

As for those wondering what Martial Art to go (and It's very confusing if you've no experience in this area) here's a few tips.

1) Stay clear away from anyone who believes in secret death touches or anything which can't be repeatedly tested by YOU. Don't take anything at face value just because you're the lowly white belt and he's a black belt.

2) Like any sport, to get good at it you have to play it. Fighting included. Now we can break fighting down into different aspects and train them (e.g. boxing purely on the punching while standing). So any club that claims you don't need to spar or that what they do is so lethal/effective/powerful etc that sparring would be too dangerous hasn't got a clue what they're on about, and are most probably living in fantasy. You will need to spend time trying stuff out against someone who's trying not to let you do it (be in throw them, escape a headlock etc.) Better to learn what you can and can't do in the safety of the gym rather than believe you're okay and find out at 3am on a Friday Night outside the Palace that you were wasting your time!

3) Above all, enjoy it. If you find some sport more enjoyable do that instead. Lives too damn short.

Hope this helps, it's not a complete checklist just written off the top of my head.
    Colm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

myanmar wrote:
    Thai, BJJ, Judo, Boxing.

Didn't I have tihs conversation with you and Trib in the porterhouse or was it just trib?

yep it was me :) you were trying to get me to join some club when i mentined i dused to do judo!!!!

Advertisement