Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Poverty History TV Advert Banned in Uk

Options
  • 13-09-2005 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1930062005

This is one of those discussions that would fit both here and in the News/Media forum, but given the reason the advert was banned, I thought here would be the better place.

The Brittish broadcasting regulator OFCOM has banned the Make Poverty History movement from showing their adverts on British television as it believes that the movenemt is a political organisation.

What I would like to throw out there is, What is the difference between the Make Poverty History group and charitble organisations like OXFAM, who like the former, are involved in political lobbying on behalf of poor people in the world. plus they encourage people to put pressure on their local politicians to combat global poverty.

I would be of the opinion that, seeing as the Make Poverty History group do not have any candidates running for election, they should be given the same treatment as charities when it comes to advertising on television.

I would imagine that other groups such as Greenpeace would be prevented from advertising too, am I correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 linux

Make Bob Geldof history! for not making poverty history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

What I would like to throw out there is, What is the difference between the Make Poverty History group and charitble organisations like OXFAM, who like the former, are involved in political lobbying on behalf of poor people in the world. plus they encourage people to put pressure on their local politicians to combat global poverty.
    A charity is an organisation that specifically seeks to provide direct assistance to a group or groups that are in a less fortunate position and that require that assistance. Any political activity, such as lobbing is an, often distant, secondary consideration to this. The Make Poverty History group is primarily a political lobbying organisation and does not provide direct assistance as a charity group would.

As such it is a political rather than charitable organisation, not unlike the Greens before they became a full-fledged political party - something that we would not see of OXFAM.
    I would be of the opinion that, seeing as the Make Poverty History group do not have any candidates running for election, they should be given the same treatment as charities when it comes to advertising on television.
    Except they’re not a charity. To call them that would be disingenuous.
    I would imagine that other groups such as Greenpeace would be prevented from advertising too, am I correct?
    Yes, I’d imagine so if their primary goal is political rather than charitable.

Advertisement