Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Privacy Glass

• 13-09-2005 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

this has probably been posted here before, but I can't seem to do a search. Anyway, does anyone know of a reputable business that fit privacy glass to cars? Well, you know what I mean, add the black stuff to your existing glass.

And, is there a legal requirement to have the drivers and passenger windows tint free? What's the norm, if I wanted darker glass in the rear, can I have the same darkened glass in the front doors too? If I had darker at the rear (not totally blacked out) and lighter at the front would the car just look silly?

All opinions appreciated.

A

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

in dublin???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭ando

"no officer its Privacy Glass, not tinted windows"

lol, I've never heard of it being called that before

I would'nt know anyone in Limerick but Shades in Dublin are very good, based in Blanchardstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

_raptor_ wrote:
    in dublin???

anywhere at all. Nowhere is really that far to travel to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

It's called privacy glass on the manufacturer option lists.

As far as I recall from a previous discussion here you must leave the windscreen clear, any other glass is fair game. Don't quote me on this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

impr0v wrote:
    It's called privacy glass on the manufacturer option lists.

As far as I recall from a previous discussion here you must leave the windscreen clear, any other glass is fair game. Don't quote me on this though.

Yeah, but AFAIK there are limits to the tinting you can do on the side windows (rear windows probably can be darker than front windows)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭ando

no there's no limit on side and back windows. Front windscreen cannot have any tint. In England its a different story but we're not part of the UK last I heard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Autoflair is based in Dublin. I saw their work on a few cars. It looked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I'm pretty sure there has to be at least 33% visibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

no there is no legal restrictions other than the front windscreen, although the whole roadworthy vehicle bs could be applied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

would it look tacky to have darker tints at the rear with lighter tints at the front?

It might be a bit drug dealerish to have dark tints all round (not including windscreen of course). I have actually seen cars with the windscreen tinted. What muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Sometimes a windscreen can look tinted because the side and back tinting darken the inside of the car, I think some (maybe all at this stage) windscreens have glare reducing filters in them too which adds to the effect.

Advertisement