Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Letter in the Irish Times

• 13-09-2005 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Sir - I am a Canadian and I was in Ireland for the last two weeks of August. My new wife and I quite enjoyed the Republic and its beautiful scenery.

I really had to laugh when I read an article in your paper that quoted an RAC official stating that Irish drivers were going way too fast and causing accidents. I found Irish drivers to be some of the slowest on the planet. Most of your roads would not qualify as a goat path in Canada and I often came upon a line of cars patiently following a farm tractor at 15-20kph. When I passed this line I often received flashing headlights and hand gestures.

I admit I am a fast driver. I race my MGB here and enjoy the feeling.

I had just spent two weeks driving in England where almost everyone exceeds the legal speed by a large margin. In Ireland it was rare to find anyone even approaching the posted speed.

Even on your motorways, cars would poke along in the fast lane and refuse to move to the left.

Please tell the RAC to spend their efforts in slowing down the Brits and perhaps educating the Irish that not everyone on the road has all day to get to the next town.
    Bruce Stevenson,
    Kelowna, BC, Canada

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=53&si=1466845&issue_id=12988

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

in rainy BC the roads might be okay, but over here we spend all summer patching up the roads so the freeze and thaw can bust them up again... :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

dowlingm wrote:
    in rainy BC the roads might be okay, but over here we spend all summer patching up the roads so the freeze and thaw can bust them up again... :mad:

Surely that happens in Canada too? Really cold winters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

spacetweek - here in Toronto we have gone from -25C to +35C or so this year. Thank god for aircon.

Advertisement