Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Betis V Liverpool Tonight (may contain scores)

• 13-09-2005 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Preview from skyports.com

Liverpool begin the defence of their UEFA Champions League title with a trip to Spain to play Real Betis.

For Betis it is their debut in Europe's premier competition after finishing fourth in La Liga last term.

Both sides came through the qualifying rounds to reach the lucrative group stages and it is their first meeting in European competition.

Real Betis have injury problems to contend with ahead of the clash in Seville.

Brazilian ace Edu and defender Luis Fernandez are both missing through injury after picking up knocks in last weekend's win over Osasuna.

Oscar Lopez and Xisco Munoz are both expected to come into the side to replace the injured pair.

Betis are sweating over the fitness of star winger Joaquin as he is rated doubtful for the game after coming off against Osasuna with a knee injury.

Alberto Rivera is suspended for the clash with the holders.

Liverpool striker Fernando Morientes misses out on a return to his homeland because of a hamstring injury.

Morientes missed Liverpool's draw at Tottenham last weekend with the problem he sustained on international duty.

Peter Crouch is set to start in attack and it remains to be seen whether or nor Reds boss Rafa Benitez decides to field Djibril Cisse alongside Crouch or start with just a lone forward.

Spanish international Xabi Alonso is expected to return to the starting line-up after only coming on as a substitute at Tottenham.

Stephen Warnock and Dietmar Hamann are both included in the squad after shaking off slight knocks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Since this is Rafa's reurn to Spain, i fancy pool to get at least a draw out of this. Hoping for a win though and dont think its beyond us. Hope to god it isn't just crouch on his own up front, really want cisse starting.

Reina
    Finnan---Carra---Hypia---Warnock
    Xabi
    Gerrard
    Riise
    Garcia
    Cisse
    Crouch

perhaps?

wouldn't be too surprised to see Josemi in there somewhere too, or at least on the bench as, whatever about his play in england, he was great in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

edit!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Can't see past a scoreless, or low scoring draw myself. Liverpool went and won away to Deportivo last season, but Benitez will know that Betis are ahell of a lot better than Depor. Still though, Liverpool should manage a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

whats the story with this on tv tonight? channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

its on tv3 at 7:45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Since this is Rafa's reurn to Spain, i fancy pool to get at least a draw out of this. Hoping for a win though and dont think its beyond us. Hope to god it isn't just crouch on his own up front, really want cisse starting.

Reina
    Finnan---Carra---Hypia---Warnock
    Xabi
    Gerrard
    Riise
    Garcia
    Cisse
    Crouch

perhaps?

wouldn't be too surprised to see Josemi in there somewhere too, or at least on the bench as, whatever about his play in england, he was great in Spain.

Oh Cisse will be starting alright ......but on the right wing probably :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

SofaKing wrote:
    Oh Cisse will be starting alright ......but on the right wing probably :(

Or worse stil....the wrong one. :D:D

Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Bateman wrote:
    Can't see past a scoreless, or low scoring draw myself. Liverpool went and won away to Deportivo last season, but Benitez will know that Betis are ahell of a lot better than Depor. Still though, Liverpool should manage a draw.

Yeah will be tough to seperate the 2 best teams in the group :D But should be a good game hopefully a Liverpool win!

Or maybe not!

Reina

Josemi--Cara-hyppia-Traore

Pongolle--Sisoko--Alonso---Zenden

Garcia

Crouch.

I think that'll be how it looks.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

mike65 wrote:
    Or maybe not!

I think that'll be how it looks.

Mike.

Ya Gerard on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Big risk leaving Gerrard on the bench, we know how uninspiring Liverpool will be without him. He's a good "impact" player though, so maybe it is a good idea to throw him and Cisse on when Betis are getting a bit weary.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

what a legend sinama is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

****ing hell, typical Liverpool CL preformance so far :)

Fantastic goal, I think he could have been given a foul against him, but the keeper is really at fault for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Nice chip

why isnt the chelsea match on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is Warnock still injured? I missed the team news so dont know whos on the bench. I thought he was back. Is Gerrard on the bench purely tactical?
    I'm never confident with Traore on the pitch. Would much rather Riise instead of Zenden aswell.

bizmark wrote:
    Nice chip

why isnt the chelsea match on tv?

Cos the European Champions are. :D

Traore just made a fantastic tackle, although a good striker would have finished, bad marking by Hypia.

CHelsea is on ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

bah dont have itv on sky :( guess ill watch liverpool so

Woah, Betis are shocking defensivly, shocking.
    Garcia strikes again in Europe.

Who'da thunk it eh. 3 worst players in the stadium combine for a goal. 2-0 Garcia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

2-0 garcia nyom

Crouch seems to be in that niall quinn phase where he thinks hes so tall he doesnt need to bother jumping. He could have jumped with the kepper instead of fouling him, and the mauling he gave the spurs defender for the disallowed goal on saturday.

Jesus, though that was in. Where the defence on the crosses. Zonal marking my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Zenden looks so unfit he tripped himself up!

All hail Traores' telescopic left leg! Warnock was left out cos he's not up to speed at CL level. Crouch is showing good form, lovely move with Pongolle who unfortunatly was on his wrong leg when he fired.

Agree about Zonal Marking. Pants.

Mike.

Fook. Who the hell did Hyypia think he was marking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Wow our centre halves look shocking 2-1 damn :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Hyppia falling on his arse again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Is Hamann on the bench, he needs to come on and help protect the CB's if he is.

• Advertisement

I want to cry looking at zenden...

You'd think that after the CL final, liverpool would be expecting teams to come out ater HT the same way they did and would be prepared, but oh no.

One down one to go, c'mon Rafa get Zenden off for Riise.

Yes! "Like for like" my arse :D

Bout bloody time.

They're obviously well dodgy at the back, liverpool need to score soon to settle this.

• Advertisement

Every corner goes through everybody, and we are 10 times taller than these.

Oh lord, i think our players got their laces tied together.

Jaoquin is a filthy diver. I wouldnt mind but it wasnt even a good one but the ref swalloed it.

Ciise does my head in. Doesnt shoot and waits far to long to pass, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Cisse got half the pitch to run into, youd think we could get a fecking pass to him. We just letting them run at us, then leaving it to late to stick a foot in.

Cant believe it took us 40 minutes to string a few passes together. Another GOD damned free kick, BOOT THEM ON THE HALF WAY NOT OUTSIDE YOUR BOX.

• Advertisement

5 Feckin Minutes?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! 2-1!!

That'll do I suppose. How bad did Liverpool play in the 2nd half?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Why on earth did Rafa change the formation. The CDs seemed to be on different planets Hyppia is sooooooo slow now. Reina needs to practice his kicking and also know when to catch rather than parry.

Mike.

70-30 possession wise says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

good win.

did any one notice - on the tv3 build up of the liverpool match, the clips of liverpool players and GH :eek: ?

i know the GH and rafa look the similar - but come on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Liverpool are outclassed again but still manage to win.

Great result for them.

First half was a stroll though, second half was awful. I wouldnt say class had anything to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Haha true, the opposition put us under pressure for so long, get tonnes of possession and we still win. I'm still boggled how we do it. You just can't analyse that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Davei141 wrote:
    First half was a stroll though, second half was awful. I wouldnt say class had anything to do with it.

i was only glancing at it, but it looked all one way in the 1st half too.

The Liverpool keeper was v. good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement