Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband tech support, WTF?!

• 13-09-2005 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

OK - just thought I'd throw this out here to check I'm not dreaming or something. In the past 2 years I've been with NTL, IBB and now I'm with UTV as a broadband provider. NTL's technical suppport was pretty poor, and I was in the fortunate position of never having to phone IBB. However, I'd been having DNS issues with UTV since the start, so I braced myself and called tech support.

They answered within 3 rings, I was put through to a competent engineer straight away, and we chatted about Iron Maiden while he checked my details against the system, provided me with a temporary holdover fix by manually specifying my DNS servers (which worked) and I ended the call in a better mood than I started it, which is the first time for me for any tech support call, ever.

Has anyone else experienced this with any other Irish BB provider, did I just get lucky or something?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hmm.. DNS.. this seems to be a regular issue for UTV. A lot of us have manually specified our DNS servers since the debacle when they handed out a rogue DNS servers address and then blamed our machines for the problems - which manifested themselves for around 8 minutes at the same time every hour.

Good to hear you got through quickly though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've phoned Esat Business BB once regarding a line fault, I have to say they were very helpfull and called me back the next day for a update on the fault as promised.

However their billing deptartment is a total joke imho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

OK - just thought I'd throw this out here to check I'm not dreaming or something. In the past 2 years I've been with NTL, IBB and now I'm with UTV as a broadband provider. NTL's technical suppport was pretty poor, and I was in the fortunate position of never having to phone IBB. However, I'd been having DNS issues with UTV since the start, so I braced myself and called tech support.

They answered within 3 rings, I was put through to a competent engineer straight away, and we chatted about Iron Maiden while he checked my details against the system, provided me with a temporary holdover fix by manually specifying my DNS servers (which worked) and I ended the call in a better mood than I started it, which is the first time for me for any tech support call, ever.

Has anyone else experienced this with any other Irish BB provider, did I just get lucky or something?

Yeah go on pull the other one how much are they paying you???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

OK - just thought I'd throw this out here to check I'm not dreaming or something. In the past 2 years I've been with NTL, IBB ........................

You should definitely buy a lottery ticket!!!! In fairness to UTV on the technical side Carl is exceptional but having said that I had to ring them last week about a wrong debit from my account - I was lied to about people's availability - left hanging on the phone for ages and eventually got through to a girl who told me 'there is no one available as its Monday and they are all at meetings' Eh, I replied its Thursday actually!! Well, she said, I have been on three day's leave so its Monday for me -em ok well what about those Monday meetings seeing as how it is Thursday?? Oh they are all at meetings anyways!!! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately thats a true story - you could not invent something like that!!!

Advertisement