Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda bike auction

Options
  • 13-09-2005 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Just browsing the Garda website (dont ask :D) and i came across this
    A public auction of bicycles will take place at Kevin Street Garda Station in Dublin at 11am on Thursday 6th October 2005. Members of the public may view these bicycles on Wednesday 5th October 2005 between 10am and 3pm.

Just thought I'd throw it up here to give people a heads up, might spot some deals or something useful.

Link - http://www.garda.ie/angarda/press_story2.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Might spot my nicked bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

*bump*

Anyone going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I was just down in Kevin St.
    very disapointed in the selection, guess i should expect it but was hoping there might have been a few really expensive bikes there also, 95% standard E150 mountain bikes, mostly look in poorish nick. Actually i didn't see any one lets say between E600-1500ish.
    Quite a few people there and a news crew, for some reason noticed a lot of germans (don't know why!)
    If anybody heads there today check out by the bicycle shead where the guards chuck out their black refuge bags (assume its rubbish) they've also trown out lots of those yellow garda night vests, they should auction them off for night riding! I guess with the new uniforms they don't need them...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

how many bikes would you say there was mike?
    can't get in today but was thinking of going along tomorrow and trying to pick
    up a 3rd bike for work, for 50 or so..

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Hi daveym
    aammm oh that should be easy to answer but when I actually think about it.. a very very ball park figure (somebody else who was there today please help me out!) lets say 500 ish, there were also 2 huge stacks of really **** bikes next to the shed, i get the impression they are gonna try and sell those bundles together.
    just one other thing to note, the cops require E50 deposit no matter what you do, but if you dont bid you get a refund,
    maybe best thing is to call them to get a more accurate amount,
    yes should pick up bikes for E50,
    actually good point..anybody been to the auction before at Kevin St? I assume they bid really fast.. start at lets say a tenner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

There was a thread about this last year and it sounded like pretty bad value. Several ppl had bought fairly average stuff (Al Carter) for above average money. Its for charity isn't it? They won't be giving them away...

'c

Yea i got in at half 2 and there was still loads of ppl around looking. Few alright bikes put they aint in the best state and i wont be paying over 50 quid for them. Few oddesy's

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I was there too, pure sh1te. Wasted journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Do the gardai do auctions like this with all the lost/stolen/unclaimed/confiscated property? If so when and where

Haha who goes to these things. Some of the prices.... think every peice of crap went for over 100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I was in there too, there was one really nice commuter, it was a dawes discovery 202 I think, but it was a really nice hybrid. The rest was pure crap! rust buckets is all I can say. I bet the guards got a look in before they put them up for view, thats why all the nice bikes were gone :P

Yea and the dawes discovery 202 went for 320 i think plus the 6% sales tax

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

You would be able to get a last season brand new Dawes Discovery 201 for that money!

Some people shouldnt be allowed to go to auctions... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

woah that's crazy €320!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

Yeah I was amazed to see the prices they went for. Even the worst mountain bikes made €90-€120 and anything half descent went for more than €160. Ridiculous money was spent

Advertisement