Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homer Simpson is a ripoff

• 13-09-2005 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭

I really like Homer (see my sig) but the other day I was reading one of my old Fat Freddy's Cat comics (published 1978) when I had a sudden flash and it all became clear to me.
    Maybe he didn't start out that way but Homer has evolved into a (very slightly) straighter verion of Fat Freddy. He's fat, stupid, helpless, hilarious and drinks lots of beer. 'Nuff said?
    Anyone agree or disagree?
    Also anyone know if the Simpsons have ever name-checked or acknowledged Fat Freddy or the Furry Freaks in any way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yeah, because fat, stupid, beer swilling, comical characters are not at all a mainstay of television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I really like Homer (see my sig) but the other day I was reading one of my old Fat Freddy's Cat comics (published 1978) when I had a sudden flash and it all became clear to me.
    Maybe he didn't start out that way but Homer has evolved into a (very slightly) straighter verion of Fat Freddy. He's fat, stupid, helpless, hilarious and drinks lots of beer. 'Nuff said?
    Anyone agree or disagree?
    Also anyone know if the Simpsons have ever name-checked or acknowledged Fat Freddy or the Furry Freaks in any way?

you think too much

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm sure The Simpsons crew would admit to Homer and co. being the bastard children of a number of different comicbook and tv creations. The 'Doh' comes from Laurel and Hardy (I think, either that or something like The Three Stooges).
    At the same time you could say that Hal from Malcom in the Middle and Peter from Family Guy are ripoffs, but while they have their similarities they also have huge differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I really like Homer (see my sig) but the other day I was reading one of my old Fat Freddy's Cat comics (published 1978)
    BS. You could say the same of Fred Flintsone, Oliver Hardy, etc, etc, the fat-middle aged male character is a comedy staple.

Plus Gilbert Sheldon's Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers first started in the late 60's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Mossy Monk wrote:
    you think too much
    Thanks. Can I use you as a reference? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Plus Gilbert Sheldon's Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers first started in the late 60's.

You know too much
    ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Aart from one episode involving 'medicinal' marijuana, Homer hasn't show much of a tendency to spend his entire existence on some sort of high.
    If you'd compared him to the cat himself you might have had a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Aart from one episode involving 'medicinal' marijuana, Homer hasn't show much of a tendency to spend his entire existence on some sort of high.
    If you'd compared him to the cat himself you might have had a point.
    Well there was the ep with the magic chilli peppers....

Advertisement