Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband - USB or Ethernet modem?

• 13-09-2005 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I’m getting NTL broadband installed next week and need to decide between a USB and Ethernet modem.

I have CAT5e cables running all around the house (for Windows Media Center Extenders) and the PC itself will sit in a box bedroom which will have the broadband box in it and also a TV box which the PC will be connected to. I will then a router to share the broadband access and TV stream with PCs around the house.

Thing is when our extension is complete it will house the PC. If I was to move the broadband box into the extension it would cost 50 quid so I’m just wondering if I can avoid this by leaving the broadband box in the box bedroom and connecting the PC in the extension to it. If I have an Ethernet cable modem can I connect this into the router in the box bedroom and then connect the router to the PC in the extension via CAT5e cables?

Or should I just get a USB cable modem and move the whole lot into the extension when its ready?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I use about 30ft of Cat 5 to connect my PC to Cable modem. Unless this is a problem do this. Ethernet connections are better for this than USB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

On my NTL modem it has both USB and Ethernet. You can use either connection, but not both at the same time. As mentioned, Ethernet is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I can make you an ethernet cable if you require one! have a thread in the FS computer hardware fourm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Hold on. Let me get this right.

I need about 10metres of a cable to get to my room in my house.

The options are.

1. Extend the RF cable with the modem on it to my room
    2. Get 10 metres of cat5 cable to bring it to my room.

Is there not speed reliablity issues here of doing both these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

base2 wrote:

The options are.

Cat 5 will work fine upto 100m. I can't remember the distance on CoAx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

base2 wrote:

The options are.

there will be no speed reliablity issues when using the 10m of cat5! Not sure about the RF cable though! If you want a 10m cat5 cable let me know and I'l sort you out for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Yeah I just missed out on buying some cat 5 cable tonight at Maplin. Are you in Galway. I love in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Have you thought of Powerline? I have my router upstairs, with a cat5 cable going into a powerline adapter which is then plugged into a plug socket. Downstairs I have 2 more powerline adapters, going to my MP101 and a 2nd pc. It cost me £50 stg, but I don't have to worry about running cabes around the house. It's recognised as a wired network, is rock solid, and I can move the MP101 and pc anywhere that has a plug socket.

Advertisement