Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT risk taking

• 13-09-2005 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

My NCT is due soon and I want to avoid as paying as much as possible. My car was serviced maybe 6 or so months ago (96 Nissan Micra) new tyres etc. I'm just wondering would it be worth the gamble to take it there at the hope of passing? Even if I failed, would it work out cheaper for them to be able to tell me what to fix so I can just present that to a mechanic and only pay for what needs to be done to the car, rather than paying a mechanic a big wad of cash to do things that don't need repair and then they might forget something and I'll have to retest anyway. Any experiences with this dilema? :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hey Cormie

I would do a few small things prior to going to the NCT.
    Check all the lights ( INCL number plate)...any broken get them replaced.
    Check indicator lights they can sometimes be an orange bulb ( if the orange laminate on the bulb is flaking they need replacing).Found that out the hard way.
    Get a headlight re-alignment. Costs about €25 quid.

These are simple things, any mechanic could do quite cheap.

Go for the test, if they find any other major things faulty thats all a mechanic would then have to work on.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I have been twice, both times I went for a service before hand amd my mechanic pointed out things I may fail on but said to go for it anyway and then come back to him. Last time he said my exhaust may not pass, it didn't. I had a hole in the back box. NCT said the cat converter was fine yet when I went to advance pitstop to get it replaced the tried to insist I get the cat converter replaced as they said it was gone. Pack of chancers. At least if you get the NCT done it will point out what you need to get done and you won't get stung by a garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

what chef said !! stay away from pre-NCT chancers. if you don't have a mechanic you trust ask around among your friends for someone reliable. the usual trouble with Micras is the rear brakes. if the handbrake is too tight then the self-adjusters can't work and the brakes go out of balance. most modern cars need at least 6 clicks free movement of the handbrake lever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I check absolutely nothing. That said, the on-board computer tells me if a light is faulty, so if I hadn't the computer, I would check all required lights

There's no point going to a garage, then failing the nct, to go back to the garage and go to the nct again

Go to the garage first and you might spend money on something that doesn't need doing. There is no guarantee from any pre-nct test that it will pass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I thought I was stupid thinking not to go to a garage first but it makes sense. I think I'll take the risk. I could always sell my car to a garage and buy it back when they have it NCTd:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Or just don't bother with the NCT at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

cormie wrote:
    I thought I was stupid thinking not to go to a garage first but it makes sense. I think I'll take the risk. I could always sell my car to a garage and buy it back when they have it NCTd:D

Stay off the funny plants...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

All you should do before taking it for the NCT is:

1. Check the lights, indicators and a refocus of the headlights as mentioned
    2. Change the Brake Cylinders (Rear Wheels)
    3. Check that the tyres are still in good condition
    4. Clean the underbody of the car, (they can refuse to test it)
    5. Drive the *crap* out of it that morning (get the cat nice and hot) its best to have all the help you need to pass on the emissions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

As an aside, my NCT is coming up soon and wonder can the car fail the NCT if it has tinted windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

It shouldn't. I did two NCTs with a car that had quite dark tints on all windows except the windscreen and it was never commented upon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Someone mentioned to get the headlights re-aligned..
    Don't.. at least not before the NCT anyway..
    If they don't have to use a machine to re-check something, then you don't have to pay.

Save yourself the 25 and chance it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I booked mine last nite and will just do the visuals myself first.

I have a crack on hte windscreen on the passenger side but I told that this will not be an issue.
    What about cleaning the inside of the car, does it have to be done, mine is dusty inside and really wants more than a hoover, but would it been dusty effect the car??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

yop wrote:
    I booked mine last nite and will just do the visuals myself first.

I have a crack on hte windscreen on the passenger side but I told that this will not be an issue.
    What about cleaning the inside of the car, does it have to be done, mine is dusty inside and really wants more than a hoover, but would it been dusty effect the car??

I don't think dust will overly affect it but chances are the worse the car looks, the closer it will be scrutinised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

I'd clean it. You'll fail if you don't have an air freshener.

Thanks for all the feedback, just on the below...
    slade_x wrote:

1. Check the lights, indicators and a refocus of the headlights as mentioned
    2. Change the Brake Cylinders (Rear Wheels)
    3. Check that the tyres are still in good condition
    4. Clean the underbody of the car, (they can refuse to test it)
    5. Drive the *crap* out of it that morning (get the cat nice and hot) its best to have all the help you need to pass on the emissions

What's the best way to clean the underbody of the car?

How would I change the Brake Cylinders? Does this cost much? Where would I get new ones?

What's the cat?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

cormie wrote:
    Thanks for all the feedback, just on the below...

What's the best way to clean the underbody of the car?

How would I change the Brake Cylinders? Does this cost much? Where would I get new ones?

What's the cat?

To clean the underbody assuming its very bad a pressure washer would do

the brake cylinders are housed in the the rear wheels, its worth checking them first and if they're not leaking yet then you dont need to replace them, if you do want to replace them and do it yourself make sure you crimp the "brake line" just before each rear wheel with a vice grip or youll have brake fluid everywhere, and also make sure when the new ones are installed remember to pump the brake pedal to get the air out or your brakes will be useless. Although i would suggest you get a mechanic to do it
    brake cylinder are inexpensive maybe €20-35 for both depending where you go... these are well worth a cheque as these can be the difference between an instant fail

And the "cat" is the Catalytic converter, its what will fail or pass you on emmisions.. Its most efficient when its really hot, oh and its connected to the exhaust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul (MN) wrote:
    You'll fail if you don't have an air freshener.

This is not true (just in case you were wondering!) :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

"crimping" the brake hoses is a bad idea as it damages the inside of the hoses. as a result of this the fluid can't return when the brakes are released which keeps the brakes engaged and overheats them causing major problems. to stop the brake fluid running out when cylinders are disconnected get something heavy and push the brake pedal about 2 inches. this blocks the holes in the master cylinder and the fluid can't run out. the amount of hoses i've seen knackered because of this is crazy.

you don't have to drive fast to heat up the cat, just keep the revs high e.g. drive in second at about 4000 rpm. the same thing applies to diesels except slightly higher revs.

Ok, thanks, so basically go to the local garage and get the power hose underneath the car?

What are the chances the brake cylinders don't need replacing? If I go to a mechanic asking for them to check them, they may just say they need a replacement to get some cash off me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

slade_x wrote:

LOL!

I think it takes longer than a morning to drive all the crap out of a micra.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

cormie wrote:
    Ok, thanks, so basically go to the local garage and get the power hose underneath the car?

What are the chances the brake cylinders don't need replacing? If I go to a mechanic asking for them to check them, they may just say they need a replacement to get some cash off me :(

Unless its incredibly dirty (you've been driving through mud you don't need get the bottom of the car power hosed. Besides power hosing can cause problems if its not done properly.

Who know. Depends if the mechanic is honest or not.

Advertisement